Resetting administrator password

After purchasing a laptop at a pawn shop and returning
home, it was determined that the password for Windows
2000 was not known to log in.

Is there a way to reset the password without reloading
the OS?

Given that you don't know what's on this laptop, and don't need any data on
it., why not just do a clean install using the CD & be done with it? That's
what I'd do ....

Or see
and/or
http://securityadmin.info/db/faqresults.asp?keyword=password&SType=AnyWord&CATID=Optional
and/or
http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm

rsmith wrote:
> After purchasing a laptop at a pawn shop and returning
> home, it was determined that the password for Windows
> 2000 was not known to log in.
>
> Is there a way to reset the password without reloading
> the OS?

I forgot my Windows logon password and can't log in. How do I reset it?
http://securityadmin.info/faq.htm#password

--
Laura E. Hunter - MCSE, MCT, MVP