Kindly Help my XFX 7950GX2 Extreme is so slow and buggy.. =/

spenz

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Hi guys i recently bought XFX 7950GX2 in my hope that i could replace my Palit 7950GT with better speed. But when i installed the GX2 with the driver that came with it 93.31. In my dismay all the games that i've been playing well with my old Palit 7950GT video card looks so slow and sluggish, more often it produces annoying artifacts. i also tried to run 3dmark05 but the artifacts are everywhere and the result in any benchmarking i've done to any game is constantly very low.

How did this happen? Is my video card a lemon or has a defect?I bought this video card in abroad so I really wish and pray that the problem isn't the hardware itself. Any opinion based on personal opinion on how you or your friend solved this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Btw, the setup iam currently using is:
1. Asus P5W DH Deluxe
2. E6600
3. Corsair 2GB DDR2 800MHZ

spenz

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
I admit I know nothing about the 975 chipset, but my first thought is have you updated your bios?
Have you downloaded and installed the latest graphics driver from Nvidia's website?

Hi MrsBytch thank you you very much for replying. Hmm the bios i used is the one that came with my asus P5w DH deluxe installer CD. I don't have any idea how to update bios kind sir so i'd be really really appreciative if someone would show me how. anyway, i've checked everest and it says i'm using Bios version 1305. is this bad version for 7950GX2? thanks mate I really appreciate your input. :)

floge03

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
I believe that the 7950GX2 only runs on "SLI capable" motherboards (even though it is one card), which you P5W DH Deluxe is not.

Try searching google for any bios hacks because I think I have heard of people being able to actually get them to work

Good Luck

mayouuu

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
you dont need sli to use GX2, i have it in a P5BDeluxe, just update your bios to add support for de GX2, i believe my bios had one major update for that grafics card, not sli needed, just the chipset to understand the bridge wich the second card is behind.
Maybe your GX2 is broken... artifacts sounds like this to me... not bios problem.... but try it
http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5W%20DH%20Deluxe

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
First, update your vid card drivers, the ones that came with the disc are pretty old. Next try the bios update. Artifacting is troublesome, is your case providing enough airflow to the card to keep it cool? Artifacting could be the result of overtemps, check your card temps with Nvidia monitor or everest home, both of which can be dl for free online. Also, what PSU do you have?

And Jayrm14, don't be too troubled by NVIDIA's list there, they've been extremely slow in updating it, almost any modern mobo (AM@ or 775) will now run problem free with the GX2 thanks to fast bios updates from mobo companies.

spenz

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
@cb62fcni
Sir ive just updated my vid card driver to i believe the latest one 97.28. I would love to try the bios update for my Asus P5W DH Deluxe problem is i've yet to see on the net the easiest step by step instruction on how to do it. Scares me.. :cry: My temps on my XFX 7950GX2 were not similar as detected by everest. The 1st card temp in idle is 63-66, load 70++ ; for the second card its 72-75 load 79-80++ i believe. My PSU is not so good but it ran my Palit 7950 GT no problem whatsoever, its brand is TASK 550watts. Thank you very much for your great advise sir. really really apprecited.

@TheGrapeApe
Yeah lost of artifacts mate..very sad.. :cry: It's hard for me to return the card and shoulder the whole RMA because i bought the card at singapore and iam staying on Philippines. :cry:

@Mayouuu
thank you sir, most of you suggested bios update, iam still on the process of looking for a user friendly step by step guide on how to do it. because this will be my ist time doing bios update if ever..

@Jayrm14
thanks for the link mate. very helpful.

@floge03
Thanks for the input sir, i hope so... it would work for me too..=/

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
Right, the two cards should register different temps, the top one with better airflow tends to run around 10 to 15C cooler. Those temps aren't bad, but try opening the side of your case and see if you get artifacting. Updating bios with ASUS is really easy. Download the latest bios from the ASUS website, unzip it to a directory you'll remember, such as C:\bios\PHWDH0204 or whatever works. Run ASUSupdate (It's on your mobo cd, install it first) and simply select that directory and select the unzipped bios, then tell it to flash. You'll reboot, go into bios and reset all the settings to what you had before. If none of this helps, you'll have to return the card. Where did you pick it up in Singapore?

spenz

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Right, the two cards should register different temps, the top one with better airflow tends to run around 10 to 15C cooler. Those temps aren't bad, but try opening the side of your case and see if you get artifacting. Updating bios with ASUS is really easy. Download the latest bios from the ASUS website, unzip it to a directory you'll remember, such as C:\bios\PHWDH0204 or whatever works. Run ASUSupdate (It's on your mobo cd, install it first) and simply select that directory and select the unzipped bios, then tell it to flash. You'll reboot, go into bios and reset all the settings to what you had before. If none of this helps, you'll have to return the card. Where did you pick it up in Singapore?

Thank you for your prompt reply sir. I bought it at skylet the sales executive name was Ken and iam actually contacting this person a while ago. but to no avail he is not yet replying. i think iam doomed if the hardware is really the broke one. :cry:

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
Well, try doing what I told you in the above post. Skynet is usually pretty reputable, their tech support # is 6339 2360. Try calling them if the bios update doesn't alleiviate the problem. 550W should be more than enough.

spenz

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Well, try doing what I told you in the above post. Skynet is usually pretty reputable, their tech support # is 6339 2360. Try calling them if the bios update doesn't alleiviate the problem. 550W should be more than enough.

sir the store i bought my XFX 7950GX2 was "Skylet" not skynet. iam pretty sure it is. i must have went to some sort of generic computer store.=/

spenz

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007

sir iam rying to install asus updater, but then this "asus BIOSINFO.DLL" error popped up. it says, Unable to create NT Driver service for BS_DEF.DLL. What do this error means? =/

JJMAN

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2005
Right, the two cards should register different temps, the top one with better airflow tends to run around 10 to 15C cooler. Those temps aren't bad, but try opening the side of your case and see if you get artifacting.

Yeah try your machine with the side off of the case and also if you have a house fan, move it so it blows inside of your case just for testing purposes. That "should" eliminate the heat issue for this test anyway.
And the bios thing should work but honestly you shouldnt have to flash your bios, BUT Maybe the bios has the voltage to high or just anything.
Did you put your bios drivers on a floppy or a cd?

spenz

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
I got another problem on asus updater guys. it says, "Setup program detect no ASUS Motherboard installation will be aborted now" kindly help me fix this so i can start flashing my bios please..

Why would it ask that i have no asus motherboard when iam clearly using this asus P5W DH deluxe. its very weird.....

spenz

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Right, the two cards should register different temps, the top one with better airflow tends to run around 10 to 15C cooler. Those temps aren't bad, but try opening the side of your case and see if you get artifacting.

Yeah try your machine with the side off of the case and also if you have a house fan, move it so it blows inside of your case just for testing purposes. That "should" eliminate the heat issue for this test anyway.
And the bios thing should work but honestly you shouldnt have to flash your bios, BUT Maybe the bios has the voltage to high or just anything.
Did you put your bios drivers on a floppy or a cd?

thanks for the input mate, yes i've tested tunning my PC opened with an industrial fan blowing temporarily. but the artifacts are still persistent, Btw, how would i know which is the ideal voltage for my Asus P5W DH Deluxe MOBO?.. thanks again

lambofgode3x

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
if your card id screwed up, return it and get your money back (if you can). my biggest regret was getting this card rather than 7900GT's in sli.

spenz

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
if your card id screwed up, return it and get your money back (if you can). my biggest regret was getting this card rather than 7900GT's in sli.

Why the regret sir when the card is working and fine in your setup.. btw, can you do SLI with the same 7950GT but with different brands like say eVGA 7950Gt + XFX 7950GT?

jayrm14

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2006

Why the regret sir when the card is working and fine in your setup.. btw, can you do SLI with the same 7950GT but with different brands like say eVGA 7950Gt + XFX 7950GT?
yes

spenz

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007

yes

cool! unfortunately, iam still stuck with this hopeless 7950GX2 i bought recently.

lambofgode3x

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006

i regret it because the card has bugs, even though it works fine in my rig (for the most part) it runs HOT. i hit 100*C in need for speed carbon. with 7900gt's in sli, it would be easier to upgrade the cooling on them, and also for the same money, i would have gotten better performance. thats why i'm selling the 7950gx2 and getting an 8800gtx, maybe even an 8900 series card if they come out within 90 days of me buying the 8800gtx.

so to put it out there, anyone that wants this card, its for sale for $350 + shipping.

spenz

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
whoa sounds pretty clear to me. This Card might be the root of my headaches. Getting it to be compatible with my Asus P5W DH Dluxe alone makes me cry.. let alone with different games..

Sweet 2nd hand price you got there.. unfortunately, once they've seen this thread and your comment they won't bother buying it anyway.. Well, i've heard some people can actually play with this card with no problem at all. They are so lucky! if i can just make this work right i won't bother upgrading for a long long time or at the very least i see lots of DX10 games on the market. too bad..too bad... Im stuck with this hopeless card. :cry:

lambofgode3x

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
my card runs allright, but not as well as it could or should. if it worked at full potential, then i'd keep it, but it's hit or miss with this card.

spenz

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Guys thank you all for your advises! really really appreciated!!! :D I think i may have solved the problem of the artifacting,hanging, and the sluggishness. I just underclocked my 7950GX2 extreme into a regular 500mhz/600mhz. I bought this card factory overclocked to 570mhz/650mhz. I think that's too much for my system to hang on and is already considered overspeeding for my current setup. gosh! i should have bought regular version only if i know this would happen..