Hole in Registery Keys on Office and Windows 2000

I run office and Windows 2000 on a 500 Pentium III PC with
256 megs of ram and a 75 gig hardrive. Intel chip and
motherboard.

I was warned about the proliferation of spyware and
downloaded Spybot 1.3 Search and Destroy freeware from
Tucows.

It seems to have weeded-out all manner of assorted junk
except for one that remains hanging in the air, just like
a bad smell.

At the end of every scan, after 'Immunization', it always
shows, every single solitary time, that it has picked-up
an item that it lists as:

DSO Exploit

Under details, it shows the following message:

DSO Exploit: Data source object exploit (Registry change,
fixed)
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1343024091-1383384898-1708537768-500
\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\Zones\0\1004!=W=3

--- Spybot - Search && Destroy version: 1.3 ---
2004-07-09 Includes\Cookies.sbi
2004-07-09 Includes\Dialer.sbi
2004-07-09 Includes\Hijackers.sbi
2004-07-09 Includes\Keyloggers.sbi
2004-05-12 Includes\LSP.sbi
2004-07-09 Includes\Malware.sbi
2004-07-09 Includes\Revision.sbi
2004-07-02 Includes\Security.sbi
2004-07-09 Includes\Spybots.sbi
2004-07-09 Includes\Tracks.uti
2004-07-09 Includes\Trojans.sbi

This leads to some information to the effect that there is
a 'hole' that has not been closed by Microsoft, referring
again to a Microsoft home link, a Microsoft Security link
and a Microsoft '.windows/-ie' link.

Needless to say, I find it impossible to actually contact
those folk!!!?? (I'm sure I'm not alone............!!!)

There is also a note about a link
to 'http://security.greymagic.com/adv/gm001-ie/' for more
information. This expands to say that there is a 'hole' or
flaw in the system, but I know zip about computers - and
even less when there is any kind of glitch - it is
meaningless to me.

Can anyone throw any light on this for me in layman's
terms, as it seems that Microsoft either can't or won't
fix it, from the looks of things.

Thanks all!
5 answers Last reply
More about hole registery keys office windows 2000

    Make sure you have all of the latest critical updates and service packs.

    Ian Bagnald
    MCSE:Security W2K
    MCSA:Security W2K
    COMPTIA A+

    "Dippy" wrote:

    > I run office and Windows 2000 on a 500 Pentium III PC with
    > 256 megs of ram and a 75 gig hardrive. Intel chip and
    > motherboard.
    >
    > I was warned about the proliferation of spyware and
    > downloaded Spybot 1.3 Search and Destroy freeware from
    > Tucows.
    >
    > It seems to have weeded-out all manner of assorted junk
    > except for one that remains hanging in the air, just like
    > a bad smell.
    >
    > At the end of every scan, after 'Immunization', it always
    > shows, every single solitary time, that it has picked-up
    > an item that it lists as:
    >
    > DSO Exploit
    >
    > Under details, it shows the following message:
    >
    > DSO Exploit: Data source object exploit (Registry change,
    > fixed)
    > HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1343024091-1383384898-1708537768-500
    > \Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    > Settings\Zones\0\1004!=W=3
    >

    > --- Spybot - Search && Destroy version: 1.3 ---
    > 2004-07-09 Includes\Cookies.sbi
    > 2004-07-09 Includes\Dialer.sbi
    > 2004-07-09 Includes\Hijackers.sbi
    > 2004-07-09 Includes\Keyloggers.sbi
    > 2004-05-12 Includes\LSP.sbi
    > 2004-07-09 Includes\Malware.sbi
    > 2004-07-09 Includes\Revision.sbi
    > 2004-07-02 Includes\Security.sbi
    > 2004-07-09 Includes\Spybots.sbi
    > 2004-07-09 Includes\Tracks.uti
    > 2004-07-09 Includes\Trojans.sbi
    >
    > This leads to some information to the effect that there is
    > a 'hole' that has not been closed by Microsoft, referring
    > again to a Microsoft home link, a Microsoft Security link
    > and a Microsoft '.windows/-ie' link.
    >
    > Needless to say, I find it impossible to actually contact
    > those folk!!!?? (I'm sure I'm not alone............!!!)
    >
    > There is also a note about a link
    > to 'http://security.greymagic.com/adv/gm001-ie/' for more
    > information. This expands to say that there is a 'hole' or
    > flaw in the system, but I know zip about computers - and
    > even less when there is any kind of glitch - it is
    > meaningless to me.
    >
    > Can anyone throw any light on this for me in layman's
    > terms, as it seems that Microsoft either can't or won't
    > fix it, from the looks of things.
    >
    > Thanks all!

    Hi InBan,

    Thanx for the advice, below,which I followed without any
    success.

    Went to the update page,loaded whatever was marked
    critical except for stuff specifically marked for XP or NT.

    Rebooted, including this evening and again after finding
    and installing a Q831167.exe patch that was on my desktop
    this morning. (I presume that this was from Microsoft
    because it had all the warnings about not installing it on
    any machine using pirated software).

    Then Spybot-ted again and there was: the "DSO Exploit"
    again and still happily ensconced in my computer.

    Are you from Microsoft? If so, what is this "DSO Exploit"
    thing? What does it do, what vulnerabilities does it open-
    up and why can't you get rid of it?

    Thanxs again and looking forward to growing wiser, as I
    will be once you - or Microsoft - find a way to crack this
    one!

    Dippy

    I'm not from Microsoft.

    I've done a little reading up on this. There are plenty of discussions on various forums about the DSO Exploits Spybot detects. The makers of Spybot have said that this is a problem with the current release of spybot and should be fixed in future releases.

    I have also seen information from other sources saying there are registry changes, or an application that can be run which makes those changes, which will remove the so called DSO exploit.

    I would not recommend making those changes. Be confident that the fixes supplied in the critical updates released by Microsoft are fixing these types of issues. Although vulnerabilities in internet explorer likely still exist, far more known vulnerabilities have been patched than not.

    At this time I would recommend setting spybot to ignore the DSO exploit. I cannot recommend making the registry changes described in other articles and forums as I have not tested them personally, nor am I aware that they do not do more harm than good.

    If this is related to a real vulnerability in IE it is likely one that is taken advantage of by spy ware makers who would attempt to automatically install software on your computer. The best advice I can give is to avoid this type of hijacking software is - browse safe, I'm sure you know the sorts of sites that these things come from, so just avoid them as a best practice for internet surfing.

    Good luck.

    Ian Bagnald
    MCSE:Security W2K
    MCSA:Security W2K
    COMPTIA A+

    "Dippy" wrote:

    > Hi InBan,
    >
    > Thanx for the advice, below,which I followed without any
    > success.
    >
    > Went to the update page,loaded whatever was marked
    > critical except for stuff specifically marked for XP or NT.
    >
    > Rebooted, including this evening and again after finding
    > and installing a Q831167.exe patch that was on my desktop
    > this morning. (I presume that this was from Microsoft
    > because it had all the warnings about not installing it on
    > any machine using pirated software).
    >
    > Then Spybot-ted again and there was: the "DSO Exploit"
    > again and still happily ensconced in my computer.
    >
    > Are you from Microsoft? If so, what is this "DSO Exploit"
    > thing? What does it do, what vulnerabilities does it open-
    > up and why can't you get rid of it?
    >
    > Thanxs again and looking forward to growing wiser, as I
    > will be once you - or Microsoft - find a way to crack this
    > one!
    >
    > Dippy

    Hi InBan!

    Thanks for taking the time to explain!

    I keep the Microsoft critical updates and anti-virus stuff
    pretty much up to-date, as also the Spybot and
    Spywareblaster packages that I have installed, but your
    suggestions are good ones.

    Thanks again

    Dippy

    All of those things are essential in keeping your computer running smoothely and virus/spyware free. The only other suggestion I'd make to home pc users is to use some kind of firewall, especially if you have a high speed connection. Even if its just the ICF built into XP your being protected.

    Glad to be a help, surf safe.

    Ian

Windows 2000 Microsoft Office Windows