Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Opinions on NWN Expansion Packs

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 11:53:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

Just wondering what people in general think of the two expansion packs
(Shadows of Thingy and Hordes of the Wotsits) for this game - are they any
good? How do they compare to the main adventure, or even something like
Baldurs Gate 2...? How long are they?

Also anyone played the official downloadable modules - Kingmaker,
Shadowguard and Witches Wake?
May 28, 2005 11:53:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

Michael Cargill wrote:

> Just wondering what people in general think of the two expansion packs
> (Shadows of Thingy and Hordes of the Wotsits) for this game - are they any
> good? How do they compare to the main adventure, or even something like
> Baldurs Gate 2...? How long are they?
>
> Also anyone played the official downloadable modules - Kingmaker,
> Shadowguard and Witches Wake?
>
>
>

IMO Shadows of Undrentide is less than stellar - not much fun at all.

Hordes of the Underdark however was a hoot. Mucho fun. Highly recommended.
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 11:53:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

Michael Cargill wrote:
> Just wondering what people in general think of the two expansion packs
> (Shadows of Thingy and Hordes of the Wotsits) for this game - are they any
> good? How do they compare to the main adventure, or even something like
> Baldurs Gate 2...? How long are they?

Both the expansion campaigns are short. SoU is a weak rehash of NWN's
original campaign. HotU is considerably better. However, the main reason
for purchasing the expansion packs is to get the added content and so
you can play online and newer user-made modules, which typically require
both.


> Also anyone played the official downloadable modules - Kingmaker,
> Shadowguard and Witches Wake?

Kingmaker was OK. I couldn't get into Shadowguard at all. I haven't
gotten around to WW yet.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications
http://www.pyric.com/
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
May 28, 2005 11:53:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

On Sat, 28 May 2005 19:53:18 +0100, "Michael Cargill"
<mikementalist@myrealbox.com> wrote:

>Just wondering what people in general think of the two expansion packs
>(Shadows of Thingy and Hordes of the Wotsits) for this game - are they any
>good? How do they compare to the main adventure, or even something like
>Baldurs Gate 2...? How long are they?

I am still playing through the original campaign myself so I can't
offer a personal opinion but I do remember that most of the reviews
weren't too happy with Shadows, but were positive for Hordes of the
Underdark. I would be surprised if any of the campaigns are as good as
BG2 though. :-P
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 12:58:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

On Sat, 28 May 2005 19:53:18 +0100, "Michael Cargill"
<mikementalist@myrealbox.com> wrote:

>Just wondering what people in general think of the two expansion packs
>(Shadows of Thingy and Hordes of the Wotsits) for this game - are they any
>good? How do they compare to the main adventure, or even something like
>Baldurs Gate 2...? How long are they?

The campaign that comes with SoU is pretty predictable and droll. Boring, in
fact. The only reason you'd buy the expansions is if you want

a) the extra prc's (shadowdancer, etc)
b) the extra skills (craft(armor), etc)
c) epic level play

otherwise, there's no real point.

>Also anyone played the official downloadable modules - Kingmaker,
>Shadowguard and Witches Wake?

witches wake is a pretty good, if somewhat short, module. excellently done.

the others i haven't played.

eudas
Inside of every silver lining, there's a big, dark cloud.
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 1:11:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

Michael Cargill wrote:
> Just wondering what people in general think of the two expansion packs
> (Shadows of Thingy and Hordes of the Wotsits) for this game - are they any
> good? How do they compare to the main adventure, or even something like
> Baldurs Gate 2...? How long are they?
>
> Also anyone played the official downloadable modules - Kingmaker,
> Shadowguard and Witches Wake?
>
>
>

I, for one, really enjoyed SoU. HotU is more expansive, and includes a
lot more gameplay elements like epic levels, but I enjoyed the story of
SoU as well. I don't know why everyone is so down on it, except that
they aren't happy that the developers didn't add much new to it, like
they did with HotU.
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 5:04:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

Michael Cargill wrote:
> Just wondering what people in general think of the two expansion packs
> (Shadows of Thingy and Hordes of the Wotsits) for this game - are they any
> good? How do they compare to the main adventure, or even something like
> Baldurs Gate 2...? How long are they?
>
> Also anyone played the official downloadable modules - Kingmaker,
> Shadowguard and Witches Wake?
>
>
>
I foun SoU to be slow but HotU was a lot of fun. No module or game I
have seen comes close to Planescape:Torment however :-)

Kharsis
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 5:56:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

John Salerno wrote:
> I enjoyed the story of
> SoU as well. I don't know why everyone is so down on it


Four objects of great power have been stolen. You, an untrained
adventurer in a local school, are sent to retrieve them; even though
more powerful people are around, they inexplicably hand the finding of
the objects off to a complete novice. After retrieving the items, you
must track down the bad guys who stole the artifacts. After a long
chase, you finally confront the evil witch queen who intends to bring
back an ancient, lost power.

Now, which campaign did I just describe? NWN or SoU?

:) 

NWN wasn't a great story, but at least it had epic feel and length. SoU
was the same weak story, rehashed, without any of the epic feel or length.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications
http://www.pyric.com/
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 5:58:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

John Bailey wrote:
> With the next version of NWN being released next
> year, the chances of Witches Wake being finished are quite slim.


Why do you say that? WW is a Bioware Live Team product. Bioware is not
working on NWN2, so it's release shouldn't affect the Live Team. In any
case, BW has said several new premium modules are soon to be released,
WW2 is probably one of them.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications
http://www.pyric.com/
May 29, 2005 8:10:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

On Sun, 29 May 2005 13:56:28 -0400, Barry Scott Will
<nwn_usenet@cavecreations.net> dared speak in front of ME:

>John Salerno wrote:
>> I enjoyed the story of
>> SoU as well. I don't know why everyone is so down on it
>
>
>Four objects of great power have been stolen. You, an untrained
>adventurer in a local school, are sent to retrieve them; even though
>more powerful people are around, they inexplicably hand the finding of
>the objects off to a complete novice. After retrieving the items, you
>must track down the bad guys who stole the artifacts. After a long
>chase, you finally confront the evil witch queen who intends to bring
>back an ancient, lost power.
>
>Now, which campaign did I just describe? NWN or SoU?

Shadows. In NWN, the evil witch queen *was* the ancient, lost power.
:p 

--
Address no longer works.
try removing all numbers from
gafgirl1@2allstream3.net

--
Posted via NewsDemon.com - Premium Uncensored Newsgroup Service
------->>>>>>http://www.NewsDemon.com&lt;<<<<<------
Unlimited Access, Anonymous Accounts, Uncensored Broadband Access
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 10:06:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

Barry Scott Will wrote:
> John Salerno wrote:
>
>>I enjoyed the story of
>>SoU as well. I don't know why everyone is so down on it
>
>
>
> Four objects of great power have been stolen. You, an untrained
> adventurer in a local school, are sent to retrieve them; even though
> more powerful people are around, they inexplicably hand the finding of
> the objects off to a complete novice. After retrieving the items, you
> must track down the bad guys who stole the artifacts. After a long
> chase, you finally confront the evil witch queen who intends to bring
> back an ancient, lost power.
>
> Now, which campaign did I just describe? NWN or SoU?
>
> :) 
>
> NWN wasn't a great story, but at least it had epic feel and length. SoU
> was the same weak story, rehashed, without any of the epic feel or length.

Hmmm, well I still had fun playing it! :) 
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 4:43:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

"Barry Scott Will" <nwn_usenet@cavecreations.net> wrote in message
news:z5-dnSw6DvINnwffRVn-jg@comcast.com...
> John Bailey wrote:
> > With the next version of NWN being released next
> > year, the chances of Witches Wake being finished are quite slim.
>
>
> Why do you say that? WW is a Bioware Live Team product. Bioware is not
> working on NWN2, so it's release shouldn't affect the Live Team. In any
> case, BW has said several new premium modules are soon to be released,
> WW2 is probably one of them.

Don't get me wrong, I love playing NWN, and have spent a lot of time playing
all the expansions, premium modules, and I have no idea how many modules. I
got the game when it came out first, and am still playing No game has held
my interest for so long. Bioware have been pretty good when it comes to
supporting the game, so I'm not criticizing them either.

Bioware or Bioware live, it doesn't matter. Nor does it matter that NWN2 is
being written by a different company. The live team are all professional
programmers
and designers employed by Bioware, so will have to be paid. If there are not
enough downloads of the premium modules, or the revenue stream from NWN
fizzles out, when people buy NWN2 instead of NWN and the expansions, then
the Live Team will be reassigned to other projects. NWN is not the only game
Bioware make.

Some of the live team might be prepared to do a little bit in their spare
time, but that has happened before, and we ended up waiting how long between
the release of the original module and the updated one?

I noticed that the new merchandise
available on the site has some Jade empire stuff and a couple of Bioware
branded items, but no NWN stuff. A pity, as I would have definitely been up
for a couple of tee shirts or an NWN mousemat. A lost business opportunity
from my point of view, but it suggests that the interest in NWN is reducing
as far as the management is concerned. When NWN2 comes out, the incentive
will be even less to produce new content for NWN.

I haven't been keeping up with the Bioware forums, so there could very well
be a new batch of premium modules about to be released. I hope so, as I have
already enjoyed all three of the current ones, and will buy the
next batch if they are released.

John
Anonymous
May 30, 2005 6:07:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

Michael Cargill wrote on 5/28/2005 :
> Just wondering what people in general think of the two expansion packs
> (Shadows of Thingy and Hordes of the Wotsits) for this game - are they any
> good? How do they compare to the main adventure, or even something like
> Baldurs Gate 2...? How long are they?
>
Both are decent, and worth it for the additional content alone. Of the
two, I certainly enjoyed HotU the most. However, the plot in SoU I felt
was largely uninspired.

> Also anyone played the official downloadable modules - Kingmaker,
> Shadowguard and Witches Wake?

Again, these 3 are all decent... WW I enjoyed the most. I should
mention here something I brought up in an earlier thread, which is that
all 3 premium modules (NOT Sou, HotU, or any of the free
player-designed mods) require an open internet connection when you load
a game from them. It's a part of their verification process, I
understand. If you dial-up to the internet, it's a potential pain.

Hope that helps.

--
----------
DS

As we passed on
it seemed as if those scenes
of visionary enchantment
would never have an end.

--- Meriwether Lewis.
May 30, 2005 7:09:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

> SoU, and there was a reason - the powerful people were doing something
> else (like recovering from being poisoned.)
>
> The OC never gave a reasonable explanation why a newbie adventurer is
> the only one doing this massive quest to save the city/world.
>

Erm, yes, yes they do. Granted, they're not GREAT reasons, but if you ask
around they do note that most of the adventurers were killed in the
start-of-game attack, and the big bads that're left are busy with other
tasks, serving the city. Also note that after the first chapter, when there
are now other adventurers that *could* be saving the world, you are
considered the hero of neverwinter, and ARE the big bad adventurer. You're
not a newbie anymore in the eyes of those around you.

(Granted, they imply that of all those in the academy, you had the most
promise, so weren't really considered much of a newbie then, either.)

-[Blayde]-
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 12:53:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

Yes - I definitely prefer playing a ranger (or possibly a druid?) in that
campaign.

Best wishes
Maxon

"bc" <nomail@please.com> wrote in message
news:119o3q4cjdnkpd5@corp.supernews.com...
>
> Yeah, the overall plot was pretty lame, but I did like some of the
> individual dungeon levels. The winter woods with the tracking and the
deer
> hunt were pretty cool for a ranger character too.
>
> Actually, the main plot of most RPG's is usually the same old generic
> "savior of the world" plot. I guess the reason BG2 was more fun for me
was
> because it gave you specific quests for your character type and let you
> role-play a little more.
>
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 5:56:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

"mindseye" <mindseye@u.washington.edu> looked up from reading the
entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
say:

>> SoU, and there was a reason - the powerful people were doing something
>> else (like recovering from being poisoned.)
>>
>> The OC never gave a reasonable explanation why a newbie adventurer is
>> the only one doing this massive quest to save the city/world.
>>
>
>Erm, yes, yes they do. Granted, they're not GREAT reasons, but if you ask
>around they do note that most of the adventurers were killed in the
>start-of-game attack, and the big bads that're left are busy with other
>tasks, serving the city. Also note that after the first chapter, when there
>are now other adventurers that *could* be saving the world, you are
>considered the hero of neverwinter, and ARE the big bad adventurer. You're
>not a newbie anymore in the eyes of those around you.

The problem with this sort of handwaving is:
Why did they get a bunch of nobodies to run through the academy instead
of getting real Heroes? The survival of the city is at stake after all.

Why, even after the decision to use nobodies and the attack on the
academy that killed most of them, did they give you no equipment or
assistance to make sure you had the best chance possible to save the
city?

Hell, you take ONE sidekick along, while the other 5 just loiter around
in the temple/blades/where-ever.

The city is dying - why don't you take them ALL along to maximize your
chances of success?

It's a load of nonsense.

At least in SoU you are a student at the school that's attacked and you
are pretty much the only person available to do the job, so your lack of
experience isn't anywhere near as relevant.

Near graduating student at small school in small village on the
frontiers vs wannabe adventurer in huge city.

Not to mention all the side quests;
In SoU pretty much every quest is there for a reason and moves you
forward in the story.
You have to do the whole dragon/elf chick thing in order to get the
castle piece from deekin.
You have to rescue the caravan guide or you won't get across the desert.
You have to defeat evil guy at the oasis in order to get the water back
so you can finish crossing the desert.
etc.

HotU is the same way really, everything linked into the main quest one
way or another instead of being at odds with it.

In the OC on the other hand, you're _expected_ to repeatedly take on
extraneous side quests that are _interfering_ with your main quest to
save neverwinter/the world, since they take time that would otherwise be
better spent on the main quest.

You've got a freaking plague killing citizens by the thousands, and you
spend time doing side quests instead of focussing on the main quest to
cure the plague.

Rescue the animals in the zoo, join the starry guild, find the
werewolves, all the hireling quests, etc


Hey hero, before you go off to slay the dragon that's ravaging our
village and eating the villagers, could you go down into the local mine
and see if you can find the dolly my niece lost?

Doesn't make much sense does it, and that's exactly what the OC does
again and again and again.

Xocyll
--
I don't particularly want you to FOAD, myself. You'll be more of
a cautionary example if you'll FO And Get Chronically, Incurably,
Painfully, Progressively, Expensively, Debilitatingly Ill. So
FOAGCIPPEDI. -- Mike Andrews responding to an idiot in asr
June 1, 2005 6:01:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

On Tue, 31 May 2005 13:56:45 -0400, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> dared
speak in front of ME:

>"mindseye" <mindseye@u.washington.edu> looked up from reading the
>entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs
>say:
>
>>> SoU, and there was a reason - the powerful people were doing something
>>> else (like recovering from being poisoned.)
>>>
>>> The OC never gave a reasonable explanation why a newbie adventurer is
>>> the only one doing this massive quest to save the city/world.
>>>
>>
>>Erm, yes, yes they do. Granted, they're not GREAT reasons, but if you ask
>>around they do note that most of the adventurers were killed in the
>>start-of-game attack, and the big bads that're left are busy with other
>>tasks, serving the city. Also note that after the first chapter, when there
>>are now other adventurers that *could* be saving the world, you are
>>considered the hero of neverwinter, and ARE the big bad adventurer. You're
>>not a newbie anymore in the eyes of those around you.
>
>The problem with this sort of handwaving is:
>Why did they get a bunch of nobodies to run through the academy instead
>of getting real Heroes? The survival of the city is at stake after all.

Outside of the Forgotten Realms setting, first level PCs aren't just a
'bunch of nobodies.' They're talented and trained professionals,
theoretically capable of a task as important as saving a city despite
being a little green.

Inside the FR setting, you're pretty much a nobody until 10th level
anyway, but that's just because the canon has (IMO) too many
superheroes in it, making even trained professionals nothing more than
second string.

>Why, even after the decision to use nobodies and the attack on the
>academy that killed most of them, did they give you no equipment or
>assistance to make sure you had the best chance possible to save the
>city?

Again, outside of the FR setting, even the basic gear you get out of
the academy is worth the life savings of your average commoner.

>Hell, you take ONE sidekick along, while the other 5 just loiter around
>in the temple/blades/where-ever.

Indeed, that bit is screwy.

--
Address no longer works.
try removing all numbers from
gafgirl1@2allstream3.net

--
Posted via NewsDemon.com - Premium Uncensored Newsgroup Service
------->>>>>>http://www.NewsDemon.com&lt;<<<<<------
Unlimited Access, Anonymous Accounts, Uncensored Broadband Access
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 4:54:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

Kaos <kaos@invalid.xplornet.com> once tried to test me with:

> Outside of the Forgotten Realms setting, first level PCs aren't just a
> 'bunch of nobodies.' They're talented and trained professionals,
> theoretically capable of a task as important as saving a city despite
> being a little green.
>
> Inside the FR setting, you're pretty much a nobody until 10th level
> anyway, but that's just because the canon has (IMO) too many
> superheroes in it, making even trained professionals nothing more than
> second string.
>
>>Why, even after the decision to use nobodies and the attack on the
>>academy that killed most of them, did they give you no equipment or
>>assistance to make sure you had the best chance possible to save the
>>city?
>
> Again, outside of the FR setting, even the basic gear you get out of
> the academy is worth the life savings of your average commoner.

But Neverwinter Nights *is* a Forgotten Realms game.

--

Knight37 - http://knightgames.blogspot.com

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 10:21:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

Knight37 wrote:
> Kaos <kaos@invalid.xplornet.com> once tried to test me with:
> > Outside of the Forgotten Realms setting, first level PCs aren't just a
> > 'bunch of nobodies.' They're talented and trained professionals,
> > theoretically capable of a task as important as saving a city despite
> > being a little green.

Heh, capable of saving a basement with a few rats or bugs, maybe a
kobold or two :) 

> > Inside the FR setting, you're pretty much a nobody until 10th level
> > anyway, but that's just because the canon has (IMO) too many
> > superheroes in it

Don't know much about FR and don't care much for what I do know about
it, cuz you have to do a _whole_ lot of handwaving to explain why
Elminster, or that band led by Drizzt thpppthd D'Oh! Urden aren't going
about saving the world.

> >>Why, even after the decision to use nobodies and the attack on the
> >>academy that killed most of them, did they give you no equipment or
> >>assistance to make sure you had the best chance possible to save the
> >>city?
> > Again, outside of the FR setting, even the basic gear you get out of
> > the academy is worth the life savings of your average commoner.

Yeah, but there's Aribeth "the store". She's got all kinds of gear;
she could have spared a bunch of potions to make your life easier :) 

> But Neverwinter Nights *is* a Forgotten Realms game.

Well, the stock campaigns are FR... I'm finding the modules that use
home-brew settings to be a lot more interesting... infinite variety and
a lot of creativity, and no wondering why Elminster or Drizzle aren't
saving the world.
June 2, 2005 5:36:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

On 2 Jun 2005 00:54:20 GMT, Knight37 <knight37m@email.com> dared speak
in front of ME:

>Kaos <kaos@invalid.xplornet.com> once tried to test me with:
>
>> Outside of the Forgotten Realms setting, first level PCs aren't just a
>> 'bunch of nobodies.' They're talented and trained professionals,
>> theoretically capable of a task as important as saving a city despite
>> being a little green.
>>
>> Inside the FR setting, you're pretty much a nobody until 10th level
>> anyway, but that's just because the canon has (IMO) too many
>> superheroes in it, making even trained professionals nothing more than
>> second string.
>>
>>>Why, even after the decision to use nobodies and the attack on the
>>>academy that killed most of them, did they give you no equipment or
>>>assistance to make sure you had the best chance possible to save the
>>>city?
>>
>> Again, outside of the FR setting, even the basic gear you get out of
>> the academy is worth the life savings of your average commoner.
>
>But Neverwinter Nights *is* a Forgotten Realms game.

My point was more of a 'what if' concept (as well as my standard
bitches about the FR): most of the plot holes in the OC wouldn't have
existed if the setting had been changed.

--
Address no longer works.
try removing all numbers from
gafgirl1@2allstream3.net

--
Posted via NewsDemon.com - Premium Uncensored Newsgroup Service
------->>>>>>http://www.NewsDemon.com&lt;<<<<<------
Unlimited Access, Anonymous Accounts, Uncensored Broadband Access
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 3:04:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

Kaos <kaos@invalid.xplornet.com> once tried to test me with:

>>But Neverwinter Nights *is* a Forgotten Realms game.
>
> My point was more of a 'what if' concept (as well as my standard
> bitches about the FR): most of the plot holes in the OC wouldn't have
> existed if the setting had been changed.

Ok I getcha. I personally like the Forgotten Realms and it really doesn't
bother me that the high-powered NPCs exist. After all, they DO have other
things they need to do. At the start of NWN OC you're not going around
saving the world, you're surviving an attack on the school. Then you're
just playing "messenger and gopher" for the paladin chick in the next part,
she's leaving the "easy" stuff for you. Of course, it would be nice if they
explained why she's always just standing there in the temple. :) 

--

Knight37 - http://knightgames.blogspot.com

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 4:41:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

Knight37 wrote:
> Then you're
> just playing "messenger and gopher" for the paladin chick in the next part,
> she's leaving the "easy" stuff for you. Of course, it would be nice if they
> explained why she's always just standing there in the temple. :) 


If she moves around a lot, her breasts will jiggle too much, which will
look really silly since none of the other womens' breasts move at all.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications
http://www.pyric.com/
!