I can't connect to the printer

Hi!
2 weeks ago, on my LAN, I had 2 pc: one with XP (with an usb printer connected) and one with Windows 7.
1 week ago I updated the XP pc to Windows 7, so now I've got 2 pc, both with Windows 7.

2 weeks ago the printer worked fine on both pcs.

Since I updated I receive an error when I try to connect the printer on the other pc: 0x000003e3.

I googled and I found that's a common problem, and a lot of people solved this way:
Quote:
Select Add a local printer
Create a new port >> Local Port >> Click on Next
Enter the port name for the network printer (i.e. \\Computer Name\Printer Name)
Select the printer from the list

I tried it, but when I write computer name (or IP) and printer name, it says "access denied".

Obviously the printer is shared with other computer...

Any suggestion?

Thanks a lot!
6 answers Last reply
More about connect printer
  1. First, what PC is sharing the printer, the one that you just installed Win 7 on or the other one? Did you check the sharing rights on the printer to make sure your other PC has rights to use it? Try un-sharing and re-sharing it. Make sure both PCs are part of the same homegroup.
  2. The printer is shared with all the lan, and it means that I have the rights with all pcs to print. :)
    The pcs are in the same homegroup, and I've already tried to un-share and re-share, but nothing changes.
  3. Turn off the firewall on both computers, try then.
  4. The OS firewall are both disabled, I have a router with integrated firewall (anyway is set to block only from outside the lan).
  5. Just noticed that you are adding it using a local port. Have you tried doing the network printer configuration? You may want to post what you did already, will save time having us put in suggestions you did already.
  6. hang-the-9 said:
    Just noticed that you are adding it using a local port. Have you tried doing the network printer configuration? You may want to post what you did already, will save time having us put in suggestions you did already.

Ok, right, I'm sorry.

1) I tried to connect choosing from list that appear when I selected "network printer", but I received "0x000003e3"
    2) I tried to connect with local port, with \\Computer Name\Printer Name and with \\Computer IP\Printer Name, but I receive "Access Denied"
    3) I tried to change printer name with a new one without blank space (it was "HP 1600 series", now is "hp_1600") but nothing changes
    4) I tried to connect with tcp-ip, but it says that there are no printers
    5) I tried to disable antivirus on both pcs (avast free edition) but nothing changes

The pcs are in the same homegroup, the firewall is disabled and the printer is shared.

The router have no strange configuration, I've just added some nat rules.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7 Connection Printers Windows XP