OMG!! Real pics of the X2800!!! - Page 3

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • ATI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 10, 2007 6:49:36 AM

Quote:
This won't be much faster than the 8800 GTX. Look at the insanely high clockspeeds they're using. Look at the size of that cooler. It's totally clear they had to go brute force with high clockspeeds to match Nvidia.

and according to rumours, the clockspeed will be even bigger in the future ( the A15 Silicon suposed to go up to 1Ghz and beyond...considering the default 600-700 Mhz of the A13-A12)

so.... go figure...

Quote:
Holly crap this thing is huge!! i get butterflies just thinking about its performance lol. Can't wait for my mate 2 eat his own words about the 8800gtx kicking R600's A$$.with all those heat pipes on it do u think that it will b rather heavy and possibly cause problems with the PCI-X slot? maybe bow the card?but congrats to amd/ati, best of luck for their launch.(Crysis now has a worthy beast to slay it) haha

If I remember there was some information in the inquirer and wiki about the R600 being the heaviest card ever... due of the heatpipes..
and thus will have a special plastic handle to keep the card straight (suposedly tou screw this plastic handle in the side of your case, and lock the card in o_O
February 10, 2007 11:46:52 AM

Well since thier are so many of you that have to post and say"wow that thing is huge" I SAY TO YOU "THANK YOU" :lol:  muahahahahaha jk

anyone have any idea around what time theyll be available?
February 10, 2007 12:01:50 PM

I love how loads of people are saying

'it better beat Nvidia by (insert percentrage figure here) or ATI are in big trouble.'

lol

smell the coffee people. at the moment Nvidia are hardly shining at solving drivers issues with Vista are they? also, the ATI's have proven over a longer period to be better than an equivalent Nvidia card in their respective price brackets.

odds are this card will beat the nvidia if past ATI performance is anything to go by and and if it does it by a modest 5-15% then that is still a big performance gap that people will pay for.
Related resources
February 10, 2007 12:45:33 PM

you all need to keep in mind 2 things,

1. on the 12" version it looks like that extra 4" is just for the fan on the end (sum1 posted where there are more pics, and there is one of the back). so my guess is the 9" card's cooler will also be enough to run it coolish, my guess is the 9" cooler will be like the x1950xtx or sumthing, while the 12" will be vastly quieter.

2. The g80 and the r600 are the first real dx10 cards (Good work for pointing out the obvious. Thanks me.) so All the newer cards and revisions will address (or should) any hiccups, ie: the fact you need a reactor in your back yard to run 1 of these.

Also, (keep in mind my logic is very basic here) ppl (1 or 2 of em) are saying that it will only beat the g80 by 5-10%. keep in mind that the shaders are better in the r600, and the memory interface is better, and the ram is better, and (as said by sum1 else) they (AMD) have tried to make it less CPU restrictive - which would mean that you wont have to go out and buy a 1000 dollar CPU to run it.

meh... don't flame me i am just a newbie :p  (look under my name)

bLAKE
February 10, 2007 1:49:53 PM

the OEM version looks ugly :p  (but who cares about what it looks like....right? riigghhttt?????)

I wanna see the retail one.
a b U Graphics card
February 10, 2007 5:24:37 PM

Quote:
Now let's look at the situation from my own standpoint. Gaming: Zero. High Quality Video: Maximum. Is there any reason, no matter how small, that DX10 does anything for me?

Not the DX10 portion but the DX10 cards maybe. With the GF8800 nV brought their colour depth to the level of ATi/AMD, Matrox and S3 with 10bit per colour, wile maintaining their superior sub-pixel precision. So that's a benefit you may/may not appreciate that's non-gaming and all about maximum 2D/3D video. Who knows what new AMD has to bring to the party.

Quote:
Furthermore, I am rather surprised that DX10 has become a MS monopoly. I understand that DX10 implementation into an OS is not just a small patch job, but would it not be anti-competitive and anti-trust to relegate all other OSs to 2006 video status for eternity?

How can you be surprised that DX is a M$ Monopoly, it's always been an M$ product, so it is exclusively their domain. Now I could understand you being surprised that DX has won out versus OpenGL and GLide, but that is the nature of the M$ position, when they do ever get foothold advantage where their product is finally equal to the competition (arguably DX6 [the third version of DX]), then they dump boatloads of money into developers to promote their product to the exclusion of the competition. People can argue back and forth whose better, just like nowadays (OS/2 being like GLide and OSX/LinuX being like OpenGL [mainly because they rely on it :)  ).

No one else would own DX, but IMO M$doesn't care about DX and would (and do) give it away to people/developers as long as one thing remained the same, it was only useable on the Microsoft OS platforms. It's a loss leader for their OS, and a major barrier to Linux and OSX ever becoming serious gaming platforms.
February 10, 2007 8:25:09 PM

they will make the heatsinks look gd for retail ones lol, expect to pay $600usd lik all new generation high end cards. im glad i mid range i dont hav to worry about the size issue lmao. psu req will prob be 500W

if u dont game, and theres no reason to buy dx10 then no one is forcing you to. for the last 3 generations ati has had better cards then nvidia. i doubt this gen will be any different
February 11, 2007 7:53:30 AM

Quote:
Now let's look at the situation from my own standpoint. Gaming: Zero. High Quality Video: Maximum. Is there any reason, no matter how small, that DX10 does anything for me?

Not the DX10 portion but the DX10 cards maybe. With the GF8800 nV brought their colour depth to the level of ATi/AMD, Matrox and S3 with 10bit per colour, wile maintaining their superior sub-pixel precision. So that's a benefit you may/may not appreciate that's non-gaming and all about maximum 2D/3D video. Who knows what new AMD has to bring to the party.

Quote:
Furthermore, I am rather surprised that DX10 has become a MS monopoly. I understand that DX10 implementation into an OS is not just a small patch job, but would it not be anti-competitive and anti-trust to relegate all other OSs to 2006 video status for eternity?

How can you be surprised that DX is a M$ Monopoly, it's always been an M$ product, so it is exclusively their domain. Now I could understand you being surprised that DX has won out versus OpenGL and GLide, but that is the nature of the M$ position, when they do ever get foothold advantage where their product is finally equal to the competition (arguably DX6 [the third version of DX]), then they dump boatloads of money into developers to promote their product to the exclusion of the competition. People can argue back and forth whose better, just like nowadays (OS/2 being like GLide and OSX/LinuX being like OpenGL [mainly because they rely on it :)  ).

No one else would own DX, but IMO M$doesn't care about DX and would (and do) give it away to people/developers as long as one thing remained the same, it was only useable on the Microsoft OS platforms. It's a loss leader for their OS, and a major barrier to Linux and OSX ever becoming serious gaming platforms.

Thanks for the indepth reply. It's very interesting to note that DX10 can give improved quality even on on a DX9 OS, but I do wonder whether the manufacturers will be providing drivers that are not Vista-specific. The essence of my original question was anti-trust. The EU has already come down "fairly" hard on MS based on relatively small infractions with WMP and IE, thus it seems to me that DX is a much greater anti-competitive implementation than the other ones. After all, you can find a player to play pretty well anything WMP will, and you can certainly get a browser that lets you see webpages as well as IE, but DX is fully exclusionary.
a b U Graphics card
February 11, 2007 8:24:57 AM

True, and like I said I think they are using it to help hore up their monopoly.

Funny thing is games don't get the same recognition as office apps and basic everyday 'family' apps like browsers and media players. Games never garnered that kind of interest IMO, but that's not to say I don't agree with you.
I think their original plan to run OGL only in a compatability layer in VISTA was more anti-competitive, and I think on purpose to hurt Apple and Linux (since they rely on OGL only) gaming, and thus further hamper their spread and development. But they have seen loosened their grip on OGL.

The thing is with M$ having invented DirectX, and DirectX surviving because it is now more widely adopted by developers not because of bundling issues, you have to wonder what people could really do to fight it. It's not free to developers, so it's not quite like the media players and internet browsers argument so IMO and even tougher case to prove.
February 11, 2007 8:47:09 AM

Quote:
anyone read the article?

say the retail will be 9 inches :roll:

Thank god for that! They used me to measure a large distance from one end of the card to the other. I'm glad their money wasn't wasted on me......;-)

Sorry couldn't resist!!!
February 11, 2007 8:49:44 AM

Quote:
True, and like I said I think they are using it to help hore up their monopoly.

Funny thing is games don't get the same recognition as office apps and basic everyday 'family' apps like browsers and media players. Games never garnered that kind of interest IMO, but that's not to say I don't agree with you.
I think their original plan to run OGL only in a compatability layer in VISTA was more anti-competitive, and I think on purpose to hurt Apple and Linux (since they rely on OGL only) gaming, and thus further hamper their spread and development. But they have seen loosened their grip on OGL.

The thing is with M$ having invented DirectX, and DirectX surviving because it is now more widely adopted by developers not because of bundling issues, you have to wonder what people could really do to fight it. It's not free to developers, so it's not quite like the media players and internet browsers argument so IMO and even tougher case to prove.

I know that was a typo, but I couldn't have said it better myself:

I think they are using it to help hore up their monopoly.

:lol: 

Yeah, they are ho-ring up their monopoly and that is exactly why they may be cruisin' for a bruisin' from DOJ and EU. I can only hope that MS is forced to issue a Vista version without DRM, auto-sw deletion and the EULA from hell. I'm usually the one who stands up against government regulations and interference with corporate affairs, but in MS' case this is becoming monopolistic practice that could effectively shape the development of the world itself, and that is far too important a game to be left to one company's manipulations in order to grow even more obscenely rich than it is.

Games are a mere fraction of Win apps when considered in man-hours. Websurfing is likely first and Office-type apps a close second. Let's remember that most computers are in a company setting and that they are intended for work. If they are used for gaming or downloading pr0n, that is an unintended utilization. :wink:
a b U Graphics card
February 11, 2007 5:53:09 PM

Quote:

I know that was a typo, but I couldn't have said it better myself:

I think they are using it to help hore up their monopoly.

Yeah call it a a Freudian keyboard slip.

Quote:
Yeah, they are ho-ring up their monopoly and that is exactly why they may be cruisin' for a bruisin' from DOJ and EU. I can only hope that MS is forced to issue a Vista version without DRM, auto-sw deletion and the EULA from hell.

While I would like nothing else, the DOJ and EU don't care about that portion, and while it would be nice if DX had a little open sauce, that would be like telling McDonald's that they are a monopolist because people chose a BigMac, and now it's got 90% of the fast food market. It would be hard to get them for that because it's still an open market, and not something as nefarious as the browser/media player wars where they are 'dumping' the product, if anything DX makes money for M$.

Quote:
If they are used for gaming or downloading pr0n, that is an unintended utilization. :wink:

Yeah, or the main reason they were purchased, you know either or, tomato/tomatoe. :twisted:

The problem and where ou might get traction on this is how imbeded DX is now to pretty much everything due to Aeroglass.

IMO one of the reasons this wouldn't be a good case, is because now Apple is actually helping M$' case. By them restricting their OSX to Apple computers only, they too have no interest in an open level playing field, and OSX is their loss-leader for their crap/overpriced hardware. And should they simply sell the OS, you'd likely see a far more compelling boost to OGL than trying to pursue M$ on DX. Get the bodies out there using OGL and then it's not an issue anymore, but the problem is, one (and IMO best) solution has the opportunity to change the situation but isn't taking it, and if it ever went to court M$ could just point and Apple, and say, we aren't keeping them from releasing their OS, they are doing that themselves (because they aren't as interested in the gamer market as the the other parts) so how much influence do we have when all analyst say that OSX would do gangbusters without it being tied to their hardware?

I think that's likely the biggest reason the DOJ and EU would have a tough time in the current environment. And I say that as someone who definitely dislikes M$ for their killing off apps like GeoWorks. I'm not a fan, but I know they have a stronger defensive case for this than they had for the browse and media-player suits, and look at the mediocre outcome of that apparent slam-dunk case.
February 11, 2007 8:15:46 PM

Love your Freudian slip! Now that Apple is much more interested in consumer electronics and content sales, I wonder if they're going to continue hw development or just turn the clock back 15 years and let other manufacturers make Macs. Let's face it, there is very little physical difference between PCs and Macs now that they're running the same processors. Too bad about DX seemingly being outside the antitrust envelope, as I would love to see Bill get spanked some more. I can never forgive MS for what they did to Vista. What a repulsive excuse for an OS! MS is basically telling the user, you want the latest OS, then sell us your privacy and your soul. Screw you, Bill Gates!
a b U Graphics card
February 11, 2007 8:29:02 PM

Couldn't agree with you more.

I'm not going to Vista until either DRM is gone, or there's a compelling title (like Crysis), and even then I'll likely dual boot or have 2 computers again (damn just got rid of the divisions, and switched to one computer).

$crew M$ and their st00pidity, out of all the companies in the world that could've said no to DRM, they jumped in bed and forced us to take it in the backdoor! Ba$$turdz! :evil: 
February 11, 2007 9:36:07 PM

Quote:

I'm not going to Vista until either DRM is gone, or there's a compelling title (like Crysis), and even then I'll likely dual boot or have 2 computers again (damn just got rid of the divisions, and switched to one computer).

$crew M$ and their st00pidity, out of all the companies in the world that could've said no to DRM, they jumped in bed and forced us to take it in the backdoor! Ba$$turdz! :evil: 

agreed! dual boot use vista for only dx10 games! i now plan on downloading the os instead of buying it because of all the crap they put in the os. i don't believe they deserve my 200 dollars because of all the drm crap.

we really need some form of Linux to step up and become more popular so we don't have to deal with Microsoft being a total monopoly.
February 11, 2007 10:44:40 PM

No matter what your feelings, there's still no justification to download and steal software. You're perpetuating the problem.
February 11, 2007 11:16:28 PM

Go find a starving uni student and give them $10 to go buy the academic version for you.
February 11, 2007 11:33:36 PM

It's a bit pointless as I already run Ultimate 32 bit.
February 12, 2007 1:56:14 AM

Thats so huge, my case would hardly fit it, surely the gpu can't need all that room, they should make the heatsink go down rather than along for miles.
February 12, 2007 2:24:05 AM

I wonder if this is destined to become a cycle:

Customers scream "more fps/effects/etc!"; AMD/Nvidia say "okay, but it'll be big 'n hot 'n thirsty!". Customer gets card, finds power bill, case temps and noise levels go up (GeForce FX), so customer says "this sucks!". Card manufacturer releases quiet, efficient but faster card (6800), customer is happy. Competition releases slightly faster and slightly hotter, thirstier and bigger card and thus the cycle begins anew.

I'm looking forward to a card that doesn't require a nuclear reactor to power it. Maybe next generation...

P.S. Yes, I know that there are plenty of decent cards out there which are, well, 'sensible', it's just that the 'sensible' cards with awesome performance are few and far between and usually lack a really good feature. I wish the card manufacturers would pay more heed to power consumption/ thermal issues though.
February 12, 2007 4:35:45 AM

Ok, this like the 8800gts/x is a monster that will never find a home on my PC. This is an example of what NOT to do. Nvidia and AMD NEED to scale down these cards. And when I say scale down I mean shrink the die size and lessen the component load and thus lower the physical size and power requirements. What a waste....
February 12, 2007 7:29:59 AM

Quote:
No matter what your feelings, there's still no justification to download and steal software. You're perpetuating the problem.

First of all, I have zero illegal software on my PC. My opinion of piracy is that of zero tolerance. I am a content creator and I can give you dozens of URLs where my work is being downloaded right now and I'm not getting a penny. Think I'm ecstatic about that? Furthermore, I've mentioned on other threads that I have some mp3s that I found of my grandfather singing light opera. It is the only recording that I have of him, as he recorded on 78 rpms and they are long gone. Even the issuing record company has long turned to dust. Now according to Vista's DRM, as soon as I install this OS I will no longer be able to play my own grandfather's songs! I am the only heir to my grandfather. The rights to those songs are legally mine. But try and tell Bill Gates that. That is why Bill can take his Vista, roll it tight, coat it with KY and stick it right up his...

Quote:

agreed! dual boot use vista for only dx10 games! i now plan on downloading the os instead of buying it because of all the crap they put in the os. i don't believe they deserve my 200 dollars because of all the drm crap.

we really need some form of Linux to step up and become more popular so we don't have to deal with Microsoft being a total monopoly.

Dualboot isn't going to do much, as Vista will identify anything on your data HD that it doesn't like and start messing with it, including deleting software entirely, all on its own, without as much as asking you first. The only way to do it would be to have two separate data HDs and physically disconnect one when you run Vista. A complete hemorrhoid. :evil: 

Quote:

2 PCs are the only way to run if you want to keep Vista from ravaging your data. And I'll be damned if I start running 2 PCs. It's all I can do just to get my 2xQuad system this year, I sure as hell aint gonna shell out for two separate 2xQuads!

My problems with Vista are not just DRM. This "I'll erase any software I feel like" function is Naziware at it's most obscene. And I will click AGREE to that EULA once MS lobotomizes me and forces my finger onto the mouse button.

Bill Gates, I'd love to tell you more about what I think of Vista, but I'd likely get banned...
February 12, 2007 12:28:47 PM

Quote:
Dualboot isn't going to do much, as Vista will identify anything on your data HD that it doesn't like and start messing with it, including deleting software entirely, all on its own, without as much as asking you first. The only way to do it would be to have two separate data HDs and physically disconnect one when you run Vista. A complete hemorrhoid.

ah, that reminds me of the screen savers. remember where, think it was kevin rose, made that little switch that disconnected one hdd and reconnected the other 1 so he could dual boot with no partition manager/thingy that lets you do that.....
February 12, 2007 12:57:29 PM

Quote:
Dualboot isn't going to do much, as Vista will identify anything on your data HD that it doesn't like and start messing with it, including deleting software entirely, all on its own, without as much as asking you first. The only way to do it would be to have two separate data HDs and physically disconnect one when you run Vista. A complete hemorrhoid.

ah, that reminds me of the screen savers. remember where, think it was kevin rose, made that little switch that disconnected one hdd and reconnected the other 1 so he could dual boot with no partition manager/thingy that lets you do that.....

Don't quite understand what you mean, maybe because every time I see the name Kevin Rose I am overcome with a rage to punch the little Digg bastid in the nose. Do you mean a switch on the case that flicks between HDs? It would seem to me that it would be a very simple switch to implement, all you have to do is wire it into the cables just before the Molex or other connectors, turn off the juice to one HD and onto another. Of course it would have to be done with the PC off.
February 12, 2007 11:04:12 PM

Quote:

2 PCs are the only way to run if you want to keep Vista from ravaging your data. And I'll be damned if I start running 2 PCs. It's all I can do just to get my 2xQuad system this year, I sure as hell aint gonna shell out for two separate 2xQuads!

My problems with Vista are not just DRM. This "I'll erase any software I feel like" function is Naziware at it's most obscene. And I will click AGREE to that EULA once MS lobotomizes me and forces my finger onto the mouse button.

Bill Gates, I'd love to tell you more about what I think of Vista, but I'd likely get banned...

Likewise in my feelings toward Vista and Bill Gates at this moment. I may have to eventually accept it because there will be no way to run some games, business programs or whatever without it, but the fasism of it is extreme to the utmost. If that time comes, it will be only on one machine while I use a separate for eveything else.

For the moment, I'm taking some odds and ends of older machines and building a second on. I want 64 bit on it, so I'll be trying XP64 Pro. If it doesn't work out, I can fall back to XP. I would like to run Linux, but that has limitations due to no DX. May end up with 2 hard drives and manually switching back and forth. Only takes a couple more minutes, but its annoying as all get out.
February 12, 2007 11:42:06 PM

Quote:

Don't quite understand what you mean, maybe because every time I see the name Kevin Rose I am overcome with a rage to punch the little Digg bastid in the nose. Do you mean a switch on the case that flicks between HDs? It would seem to me that it would be a very simple switch to implement, all you have to do is wire it into the cables just before the Molex or other connectors, turn off the juice to one HD and onto another. Of course it would have to be done with the PC off.

That is exactly what he did....
February 13, 2007 8:23:20 AM

Quote:

Likewise in my feelings toward Vista and Bill Gates at this moment. I may have to eventually accept it because there will be no way to run some games, business programs or whatever without it, but the fasism of it is extreme to the utmost. If that time comes, it will be only on one machine while I use a separate for eveything else.

For the moment, I'm taking some odds and ends of older machines and building a second on. I want 64 bit on it, so I'll be trying XP64 Pro. If it doesn't work out, I can fall back to XP. I would like to run Linux, but that has limitations due to no DX. May end up with 2 hard drives and manually switching back and forth. Only takes a couple more minutes, but its annoying as all get out.

Try the electricity switch trick. Sounds easy and fun!

I WANT TO LEAD A REVOLUTION AGAINST FASCIST SW! Users today are nothing but stupid sheep if they just get led by the nose by Bill Gates and his Henchmen of the Apocalypse into agreeing to EULAs that any lawyer worth his salt would tear up before any of his clients signed it.

With Brisbane 3600s with motherboard on sale for $159 I'm looking at the very real possibility of having a second computer now too... I hate having two PCs, but it would be a very good way to keep Vista in solitary confinement where it belongs!

Quote:
That is exactly what he did....

That's not all of a bad idea. Figure I could do it in 5 minutes with a 25 cent switch and it might be real handy! So maybe Kevin did accomplish something in his worthless existence. Just for that I won't punch him out quite yet... until the weekend anyway... :lol: 
February 13, 2007 10:56:56 AM

Quote:
That's not all of a bad idea. Figure I could do it in 5 minutes with a 25 cent switch and it might be real handy! So maybe Kevin did accomplish something in his worthless existence. Just for that I won't punch him out quite yet... until the weekend anyway... :lol: 

of course it was Linux and Win XP, not Vista and XP, so i am not so sure about betting data from one hdd to the other (would be a female dog to have to restart the computer every time you needed a file on the other disk :|). What about virtualising (yes in australia we spell it with a s, not a z), wouldn't that be easier? - haven't really looked into that thing yet....
February 13, 2007 1:53:53 PM

Quote:
of course it was Linux and Win XP, not Vista and XP, so i am not so sure about betting data from one hdd to the other (would be a female dog to have to restart the computer every time you needed a file on the other disk :|). What about virtualising (yes in australia we spell it with a s, not a z), wouldn't that be easier? - haven't really looked into that thing yet....

I don't think that the goals would be achieved in this matter with virtualwhatever regardless of spelling with an s or a ZED. :lol:  Here is the case:

Me.

I have mp3s of my grandfather singing that Vista calls illegal and I say are rightfully mine and anyone who f***s with them dies. In virtuali?ation the same underlying data set on the HDs is used. So Vista would seek out those files and kill them. Plus it could choose to erase, without notifying me at all, any sw I have on any of my HDs.

Now if you have an HD system whereby you have two OS HDs and just for the halibut one data HD, you could sequester your data as follows.

OS HD 1 has Vista.

OS HD 2 has XP and any sw that you don't want Vista to f*** with.

Data HD has the rest of the data which is both XP and Vista safe.

Little 25 cent switch saves the day. PC OFF. OS HD 1 Vista OFF. OS HD 2 XP ON. Data HD is always on. Boot into XP. Do anything you can do any other time with XP and without fear of Naziware replaying Reichskristallnacht on your sw. Time to play a DX10 game, run Photoshop via ReadyBoost, etc.? PC OFF. OS HD 1 Vista ON. OS HD 2 XP OFF. Boot into Vista. Do what you gotta do just realize that there is some sw such as gramp's mp3 that you won't be able to listen to while you're in Vista.

Personally, I think it's friggin' brilliant. I just hate that moronic douche Kevin Rose thought of it before me! :lol: 

I reboot at least twice a day so it's no prob for me. I know some people only like to reboot during total solar eclipses, but I think that's fundamentally stupid, as those systems always tend to slow down.
February 13, 2007 2:55:57 PM

Quote:

The people getting confused are the 128mg GF7900GT people seeing the X1300-512mb and making the wrong choice.

My personal favorite is the mass of people that buy the X1300 over, say, the X850 XT, because it has a higher number.

It's like choosing the 2007 Civic Si over the 2006 Ferarri GT.
      • 3 / 3
Related resources
!