Suggestions to upgrading Athlon 64 3200+ 939

johnhr

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
I currently have an Athlon 64 3200+ running at stock speed at 2.01 and 2 gigs of ram. I have a 939 motherboard, its an EVGA and should support dual core.

I always intended on upgrading this system, and now with Vista out I'm starting to see alot of it at work and I need to get more familar with it. So I plan on installing another drive and playing around with with it, but I want a dual core to see how it actually works.

I don't plan on overclocking I just want the dual cores and it should be a cost effective upgrade, probably 200$ US tops. Eventually I'll build a new box but I'd like to eek out a bit more life with this box.

The chips I'm considering are the Opteron 170 for $193, or the Athlon 64 x2 4400+ for $179.99. They are both roughly the same clock speed as my current chip, so I'm wondering if I'll really notice a difference.

Thanks in advance

John

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I currently have an Athlon 64 3200+ running at stock speed at 2.01 and 2 gigs of ram. I have a 393 motherboard, its an EVGA and should support dual core.

I always intended on upgrading this system, and now with Vista out I'm starting to see alot of it at work and I need to get more familar with it. So I plan on installing another drive and playing around with with it, but I want a dual core to see how it actually works.

I don't plan on overclocking I just want the dual cores and it should be a cost effective upgrade, probably 200$ US tops. Eventually I'll build a new box but I'd like to eek out a bit more life with this box.

The chips I'm considering are the Opteron 170 for $193, or the Athlon 64 x2 4400+ for $179.99. They are both roughly the same clock speed as my current chip, so I'm wondering if I'll really notice a difference.

Thanks in advance

John

You will see a nice ncrease. If you ar enot OCing get the cheaper one. If you want to OC get the Opteron 170