Sign in with
Your question

Restrict Internet Access

Last response: in Windows 7
July 11, 2011 12:42:04 PM

Hello,
Hi! I am looking for ways how to disable the internet connection without interfering the LAN/Network. So i found the solution by putting the wrong default gateway and DNS. But when you check on the automatic obtain IP address and DNS, internet can be accessed again. And when i used and administrator to limit the user's privilege, there are certain programs that are disabled. how can i totally remove internet access? please assist me on this one, your help is highly appreciated. thank you.
a b $ Windows 7
July 11, 2011 12:57:13 PM

Sorry, I suggested MAC filter but then I read more carefully, you want LAN but not internet, so that wouldn't work.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 11, 2011 1:44:30 PM

Playing with settings in the modem router. I used the build in filter. Set blocking to always for web traffic except for trusted domain on and set exception on ip address for computer on my network. Tested on Billion 7401vgpr3. Still have some site that is accessible (tom's hardware is not one, but the university's site is accessible). I will try to refine the settings and see if it can block more.
m
l
Related resources
July 11, 2011 2:04:39 PM

You can configure your networking equipment to block user access as Pyree said or setup a proxy server to filter traffic. If you provided more details about your environment it would be easier to assist you.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 11, 2011 2:14:35 PM

Cannot use my router firewall to block everything because there is no option for "block all", so that doesn't work for me, but maybe your router have that option so it may still work for you. Try to use window firewall to block all traffic but with network computer exception and no administrative right for users.
m
l
July 11, 2011 2:27:26 PM

That's why I said more details would be helpful. Without knowing what Gowtham10 is working with it's hard so say you can do this or can't do that.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 11, 2011 3:38:42 PM

kaa0653 said:
That's why I said more details would be helpful. Without knowing what Gowtham10 is working with it's hard so say you can do this or can't do that.

Hardware wise yes, but I think a firewall implementation is definitely possible even without further information on Gowtham10's setting since it is posted on window 7 and I suggest using a window 7 feature.
m
l
!