Trash Apps

Every time my computer rebots three icons always load to
the desktop. Then as time passes the popup-adds start
flowing. I looked in the registry and found nothing, they
were not in the startup menu either. I would really
appreciate any feed back you all could give me.

You probably have spyware/parasites on your computer. There are many places on the
computer in starup folders for user/allusers and several places in the registry where
these apps can be called from. You can use Autoruns from SysInternals to see what
applications are configured to start up and where from. Note that you also want to
check Control Panel - Add and Remove Programs.

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/autoruns.shtml

You also need a firewall if you do not have one as lack of one will allow certain
types of pop ups to happen. Beyond that, a good pop up blocker is needed. The free
Google Toolbar works very well. To try and remove existing junk, first empty your
temporary internet files and cookies. The download AdAware and be sure to update it's
definitions from the startup menu before scanning. Run it at least twice. If
parasites keep reappearing, then you may have to use more advanced methods as
described in the last link below. --- Steve

http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm