Keys to Encryption

Dear all,

I encrypted my personal files but seem to fail getting access to
them from another computer:

I have a folder with files that have been encrypted on my home
computer (win2k),
- I exported the keys (to *.PFX format)
- then went to my office computer (Win2K), installed the keys (by
double
clicking the file or by going to the MMC console)

This is a procedure in accordance with that described on the
Microsoft website but still after installing the keys I cannot
open the files....
I also got certificate (*.p7b files which seemingly seem to be
file recovery certificates when installed on another computer)
but similar to the above problem, this also does not grant me
access to my encrypted files.

So, now being very concerned if not gravely worried on how to
make this work (and make sure I WILL KEEP access to my file at
all time) I would appreciate if you could advice me on how I can
securely encrypt files and bring the keys to the another computer
where I then can access these encrypted file again.

Zen

Make sure that the two W2k machines are at the same
service level.
It has been rather long since I have done this in (or used)
W2k but in XP when you import the .pfx in order to have
the decryption key available on the other system you do
get prompted asking whether you want to be asked when
the key is used, or not and just have it used on demand.
At this question you must say to just use it and not ask
or else the imported key is not usable for decryption.
Not sure (oh the memory, or lack thereof) if this applies
to W2k.
--
Roger Abell
MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
"Zen Andreas" <zen8069@zen.co.uk> wrote in message
> Dear all,
>
> I encrypted my personal files but seem to fail getting access to
> them from another computer:
>
> I have a folder with files that have been encrypted on my home
> computer (win2k),
> - I exported the keys (to *.PFX format)
> - then went to my office computer (Win2K), installed the keys (by
> double
> clicking the file or by going to the MMC console)
>
> This is a procedure in accordance with that described on the
> Microsoft website but still after installing the keys I cannot
> open the files....
> I also got certificate (*.p7b files which seemingly seem to be
> file recovery certificates when installed on another computer)
> but similar to the above problem, this also does not grant me
> access to my encrypted files.
>
> So, now being very concerned if not gravely worried on how to
> make this work (and make sure I WILL KEEP access to my file at
> all time) I would appreciate if you could advice me on how I can
> securely encrypt files and bring the keys to the another computer
> where I then can access these encrypted file again.
>
> Zen

How are you getting the files from one computer to the other while remaining
encrypted? Portable media maybe? Make sure that you are using an account that has
the same name and password as on the computer that you encrypted the files on. Then
logon and import the .pfx file that will prompt you for a password to allow access to
the private key and verify that the certificate is in your personal certificate store
for user as found with the mmc/certificates snapin and that the private key [as
indicated on the general page] is there. --- Steve

"Zen Andreas" <zen8069@zen.co.uk> wrote in message
> Dear all,
>
> I encrypted my personal files but seem to fail getting access to
> them from another computer:
>
> I have a folder with files that have been encrypted on my home
> computer (win2k),
> - I exported the keys (to *.PFX format)
> - then went to my office computer (Win2K), installed the keys (by
> double
> clicking the file or by going to the MMC console)
>
> This is a procedure in accordance with that described on the
> Microsoft website but still after installing the keys I cannot
> open the files....
> I also got certificate (*.p7b files which seemingly seem to be
> file recovery certificates when installed on another computer)
> but similar to the above problem, this also does not grant me
> access to my encrypted files.
>
> So, now being very concerned if not gravely worried on how to
> make this work (and make sure I WILL KEEP access to my file at
> all time) I would appreciate if you could advice me on how I can
> securely encrypt files and bring the keys to the another computer
> where I then can access these encrypted file again.
>
> Zen

I should add to make sure that you have full control permissions to the folder where
the EFS files reside on the other operating system. If you do not already have full
permissions, you can add them to the folder properties even if you can not access the
files. -- Steve