Install a setup.exe with silent install on all computers...

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

Hello,

I need to install ThinPrint on all my domains PCs. This software helps
printing issues with Citrix.

My problem is I can't install it via login script because it appears the
login script doesnt run as administrator account on the PCs. I use an older
version of kixtart.

I need a solution that doesn't involve converting this file to an msi for
GPO.

Is there a tool which will let me run this install on a machine remotely if
I supply my domain admin username and password?

my silent install is something like
\\server\share\setup.exe -s -f1\\server\share\sewtup.iss

I created a executeable with delphi (im a serious novice) and it will run
via login script only if it is a local admin logging into the PC. I need
normal local users to install this software.

Thanks.

Hi there

us;225035&Product=win2000

The above URL might help.

The easiest method is to use runas command. You will
need to set up another user account with Administrator
rights. This could cause a problem in terms of security
so think it through carefully.

command:
runas /user:Domain\username "\\server\share\setup.exe -s -
f1\\server\share\sewtup.iss"

The user WILL be prompted for a password, hence, the fact
that you are giving out the password of an admin account
could be a serious issue! If you decide to do this,
ensure that you have created a second admin account with
a totally different name. Do not set it to run
as 'administrator' as that will mean your users with have
the administrator password.

Also, when the install has been run, the user will have
to run it again at next logon, hence as soon as you know
that the install has been done on all PCs, remove the
command from the script, and disable the second admin
account.

Hope it helps, sorry it is not a rock solid solution.

Cheers
Dan

Try using a startup script as that will run under system context. Startup scripts can
be easily managed via Group Policy. See the link below for more details. I usually go
to the appropriate GPO and then go to computer configuration/Windows
settings/scripts - startup. I open up the properties, select show files and paste
the script in the startup folder. I then close the window and select add/browse and
select the file I just pasted in there, make sure it shows in the list of scripts and
I am done. The computers will need to be within the scope of influence of the GPO.
If the GPO is appled to an Organizational Unit, the computer accounts will need to be
in that OU or a sub OU of it. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;198642

Malic wrote:

> I need to install ThinPrint on all my domains PCs. This software helps
> printing issues with Citrix.
>
> My problem is I can't install it via login script because it appears the
> login script doesnt run as administrator account on the PCs. I use an older
> version of kixtart.
Hi

As Steven says, you can do it in a startup script that runs as part of
the boot up process (before the user logs in). It runs under the system
context and has admin rights.

To be able to access files (e.g. snetcfg.exe) over the network from the
computer startup script, you could put the file(s) on a network share
and grant read access for the AD group "Domain Computers" to the share.

Alternatively, from the startup script, you could map a drive on
the fly, like this (VBScript example):

sDomainUser = "arp.corp\computer_fix"
sPswd = "something"

Set oNetwork = CreateObject("Wscript.Network")

oNetwork.MapNetworkDrive _
"Y:", "\\server\netlogon\some folder",, sDomainUser, sPswd

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/scriptcenter/default.mspx

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

Well, I have attempted for 5 or 6 hours to get this working. It appears my
..exe file and silent install .iss just wont run. I get the msiexec.exe and
setup.exe running in the task manager but it just sits there and never
finishes the install.

I tried .bat, .wsh, .vbs and a few others in the GPO startup script. RUNAS
and psexec tool. I dont know if it is permissions ora bad script.

Thanks for the help. other suggestions?

> Try using a startup script as that will run under system context. Startup
scripts can
> be easily managed via Group Policy. See the link below for more details. I
usually go
> to the appropriate GPO and then go to computer configuration/Windows
> settings/scripts - startup. I open up the properties, select show files
and paste
> the script in the startup folder. I then close the window and select
add/browse and
> select the file I just pasted in there, make sure it shows in the list of
scripts and
> I am done. The computers will need to be within the scope of influence of
the GPO.
> If the GPO is appled to an Organizational Unit, the computer accounts will
need to be
> in that OU or a sub OU of it. --- Steve
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;198642
>
> "Malic" <spam@houston.rr.spam> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I need to install ThinPrint on all my domains PCs. This software helps
> > printing issues with Citrix.
> >
> > My problem is I can't install it via login script because it appears the
> > login script doesnt run as administrator account on the PCs. I use an
older
> > version of kixtart.
> >
> > I need a solution that doesn't involve converting this file to an msi
for
> > GPO.
> >
> > Is there a tool which will let me run this install on a machine remotely
if
> > I supply my domain admin username and password?
> >
> > my silent install is something like
> > \\server\share\setup.exe -s -f1\\server\share\sewtup.iss
> >
> > I created a executeable with delphi (im a serious novice) and it will
run
> > via login script only if it is a local admin logging into the PC. I
need
> > normal local users to install this software.
> >
> > Thanks.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

I am not very adept at scripting - just the real basic script stuff. You said your
script works if you are logged on as an administrator so you must be close to
success. You might try one of the Windows scripting newsgroups also. See the link
below on how to use runas in a script that may allow it to work as a logon script,
though there is some element of risk exposing the credentials so be sure to not use
domain admin credentials, using local admin credentials instead and remove the script
when no longer needed. --- Steve

http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBO/tip7100/rh7111.htm