Install a setup.exe with silent install on all computers...

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

Hello,

I need to install ThinPrint on all my domains PCs. This software helps
printing issues with Citrix.

My problem is I can't install it via login script because it appears the
login script doesnt run as administrator account on the PCs. I use an older
version of kixtart.

I need a solution that doesn't involve converting this file to an msi for
GPO.

Is there a tool which will let me run this install on a machine remotely if
I supply my domain admin username and password?

my silent install is something like
\\server\share\setup.exe -s -f1\\server\share\sewtup.iss

I created a executeable with delphi (im a serious novice) and it will run
via login script only if it is a local admin logging into the PC. I need
normal local users to install this software.

Thanks.
5 answers Last reply
More about install setup silent install computers

    Hi there

    us;225035&Product=win2000

    The above URL might help.

    The easiest method is to use runas command. You will
    need to set up another user account with Administrator
    rights. This could cause a problem in terms of security
    so think it through carefully.

    command:
    runas /user:Domain\username "\\server\share\setup.exe -s -
    f1\\server\share\sewtup.iss"

    The user WILL be prompted for a password, hence, the fact
    that you are giving out the password of an admin account
    could be a serious issue! If you decide to do this,
    ensure that you have created a second admin account with
    a totally different name. Do not set it to run
    as 'administrator' as that will mean your users with have
    the administrator password.

    Also, when the install has been run, the user will have
    to run it again at next logon, hence as soon as you know
    that the install has been done on all PCs, remove the
    command from the script, and disable the second admin
    account.

    Hope it helps, sorry it is not a rock solid solution.

    Cheers
    Dan

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Try using a startup script as that will run under system context. Startup scripts can
    be easily managed via Group Policy. See the link below for more details. I usually go
    to the appropriate GPO and then go to computer configuration/Windows
    settings/scripts - startup. I open up the properties, select show files and paste
    the script in the startup folder. I then close the window and select add/browse and
    select the file I just pasted in there, make sure it shows in the list of scripts and
    I am done. The computers will need to be within the scope of influence of the GPO.
    If the GPO is appled to an Organizational Unit, the computer accounts will need to be
    in that OU or a sub OU of it. --- Steve

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;198642

    "Malic" <spam@houston.rr.spam> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I need to install ThinPrint on all my domains PCs. This software helps
    > printing issues with Citrix.
    >
    > My problem is I can't install it via login script because it appears the
    > login script doesnt run as administrator account on the PCs. I use an older
    > version of kixtart.
    >
    > I need a solution that doesn't involve converting this file to an msi for
    > GPO.
    >
    > Is there a tool which will let me run this install on a machine remotely if
    > I supply my domain admin username and password?
    >
    > my silent install is something like
    > \\server\share\setup.exe -s -f1\\server\share\sewtup.iss
    >
    > I created a executeable with delphi (im a serious novice) and it will run
    > via login script only if it is a local admin logging into the PC. I need
    > normal local users to install this software.
    >
    > Thanks.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Malic wrote:

    > I need to install ThinPrint on all my domains PCs. This software helps
    > printing issues with Citrix.
    >
    > My problem is I can't install it via login script because it appears the
    > login script doesnt run as administrator account on the PCs. I use an older
    > version of kixtart.
    Hi

    As Steven says, you can do it in a startup script that runs as part of
    the boot up process (before the user logs in). It runs under the system
    context and has admin rights.

    To be able to access files (e.g. snetcfg.exe) over the network from the
    computer startup script, you could put the file(s) on a network share
    and grant read access for the AD group "Domain Computers" to the share.

    Alternatively, from the startup script, you could map a drive on
    the fly, like this (VBScript example):

    sDomainUser = "arp.corp\computer_fix"
    sPswd = "something"

    Set oNetwork = CreateObject("Wscript.Network")

    oNetwork.MapNetworkDrive _
    "Y:", "\\server\netlogon\some folder",, sDomainUser, sPswd

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/scriptcenter/default.mspx
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Well, I have attempted for 5 or 6 hours to get this working. It appears my
    ..exe file and silent install .iss just wont run. I get the msiexec.exe and
    setup.exe running in the task manager but it just sits there and never
    finishes the install.

    I tried .bat, .wsh, .vbs and a few others in the GPO startup script. RUNAS
    and psexec tool. I dont know if it is permissions ora bad script.

    Thanks for the help. other suggestions?

    > Try using a startup script as that will run under system context. Startup
    scripts can
    > be easily managed via Group Policy. See the link below for more details. I
    usually go
    > to the appropriate GPO and then go to computer configuration/Windows
    > settings/scripts - startup. I open up the properties, select show files
    and paste
    > the script in the startup folder. I then close the window and select
    add/browse and
    > select the file I just pasted in there, make sure it shows in the list of
    scripts and
    > I am done. The computers will need to be within the scope of influence of
    the GPO.
    > If the GPO is appled to an Organizational Unit, the computer accounts will
    need to be
    > in that OU or a sub OU of it. --- Steve
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;198642
    >
    > "Malic" <spam@houston.rr.spam> wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I need to install ThinPrint on all my domains PCs. This software helps
    > > printing issues with Citrix.
    > >
    > > My problem is I can't install it via login script because it appears the
    > > login script doesnt run as administrator account on the PCs. I use an
    older
    > > version of kixtart.
    > >
    > > I need a solution that doesn't involve converting this file to an msi
    for
    > > GPO.
    > >
    > > Is there a tool which will let me run this install on a machine remotely
    if
    > > I supply my domain admin username and password?
    > >
    > > my silent install is something like
    > > \\server\share\setup.exe -s -f1\\server\share\sewtup.iss
    > >
    > > I created a executeable with delphi (im a serious novice) and it will
    run
    > > via login script only if it is a local admin logging into the PC. I
    need
    > > normal local users to install this software.
    > >
    > > Thanks.

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.security,microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    I am not very adept at scripting - just the real basic script stuff. You said your
    script works if you are logged on as an administrator so you must be close to
    success. You might try one of the Windows scripting newsgroups also. See the link
    below on how to use runas in a script that may allow it to work as a logon script,
    though there is some element of risk exposing the credentials so be sure to not use
    domain admin credentials, using local admin credentials instead and remove the script
    when no longer needed. --- Steve

    http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBO/tip7100/rh7111.htm

Microsoft Windows