Sign in with
Your question

Home Network Internet Connection Question, plz hlp

Last response: in Networking
October 12, 2006 7:22:07 PM

I live in an area where there is no cable or dsl internet service so i bought one of those Sprint Mobile Broadband Connection cards in order to get internet service. It plugs into my laptop and works fine.

Now, here is my problem. I want to share the internet connection on the laptop so that the pc can use it thru the laptop. So I bought a Linksys router, it has a WAN port, 4-LAN ports and 1 uplink port. I have one other computer in the house i want to be able to access the internet so i pluged a cat5e cable into the lan card on my laptop and pluged it into one of the lan ports on the router. Then i pluged a cable into my pc and into one of the lan ports on the router. Now i can see the laptop hard drive on the pc over the network and i can see the pc hd on the laptop over the network as well but i cannot get on the internet.

I want to be able to share the connection the laptop has with the pc. I thought there was an internet connection sharing configuration in Windows XP (both computers have XP). Does someone know how to set this up?

I know this may sound kinda confusing but my only other alternative is to buy this Linksys Wireless-G Router for Mobile Broadband that can Share your Mobile Broadband Internet connection but its $250.00! There has to be a way to share the internet connection the laptop has.

If something is unclear, plz ask me about it, thx ahead of time :) 
October 12, 2006 8:00:16 PM

I've never used it, so I can't vouch for whether it would work in your situation, but the Windows home network setup wizard has a choice something like "My internet connects through another computer on my network".

Run the wizard from scratch to see if you can find this. You would have to set up your laptop with the "others access the internet through this computer" setting as well.

Sorry for the probably rather poor paraphrasing of the wizard settings choices, but hopefully this will help.

BTW, you didn't need a router. All you needed was a switch.
Related resources
!