X800GTO Temp...beep?

basketcase

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Ok I have a quick question for you all. My Sapphire X800GTO AGP 256 Ram has a bit of an overheating problem, I think. I underclock it to keep the temps below (or around) 75 degrees, while gaming. Which seems to be fine. But, when it goes above that while gaming, my new mobo makes what seems like random beeps. It doesn't crash, but pauses for a split second. Occasionally it will pause for a few seconds. Does this sound odd? The mobo is an EPOX EP-8HMMI-A. My old mobo never had issues with this temp on the video card.
Now, I am not 100% sure it is the mobo beeping, could it be the vid card? I don't think they usually beep, though. I am planning on getting a better cooler for the card, or atleast a pci slot exhaust fan.

Does anyone know what this sound is? Is there a vid card temp monitor on my mobo that is alerting me that it is getting hot?

Thanks!

basketcase

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
I looked at my video card and I see that the heatsink does not touch any of the ram chips. After messing around with ATI tool it seems that the beeping occurs at temps lower than 75 degrees. It seems like it may be the ram that is overheating. I can leave the GPU speed around stock, but underclock the ram and the beeping occurs less (hardly at all). I took off the hsf and cleaned it off and used some AC5 silver. That seems to have helped bring the core down a couple degrees.

So my question is, do motherboards have some sort of sensor that detects when the video card memory is overheating?

My next question is, should I try to find a good hsf for this card? I was looking and it only has 2 mounting screws so I don't know if I could get one that would actually make contact with the ram chips. Do those little heat sinks for ram work good?

Or would a PCI slot fan doo the trick? I don't know how well those work. I know I can get one of those in there pretty easily.

Fortunately, even underclocked, this card seems to perform pretty well. I want to get it resolved though, because I have to underclock the ram by about 50 mhz to keep it stable.

Thanks.

basketcase

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Alright, not that anyone has responded yet, but I think I have figured out why it has been beeping. I think it has nothing to do with the graphic card, but something with the harddrive. I found a system event viewer and each time it beeped it was giving me some error codes that meant the IDE cable may be bad. So, I changed that out for a new one and that code went away. It is still beeping though and is giving me a code 9 that is something about IDE drivers not being up to date. I am not sure if it is referring to the HD's drivers or the mobo's drivers though. That explains why I did not have this problem with my old mobo and cpu. I am fearful that my mobos IDE ports are bad and that is the problem.

Before I figured this out, I installed a front intake fan, in hopes to bring the gfx card temps down. It did, by about 5 degrees, but the problem persisted.

I know this is not the correct forums, but since my thread is already started and at the top, maybe you will know. Is there drivers for my mobos IDE? Or is that part of the bios? I updated the bios to the most current version and that did not help. Or is it drivers for the HD?

Thanks for the time.

basketcase

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Ok, last time you will see this post.

I finally determined that the problem was for sure to do with one of my Harddrives. I reinstalled WinXP and left out the HD that I thought may have been the problem (which had my OS before) and I have had no problems what so ever.

So yippie!! It isn't my video card. But, since I thought this was the problem, I added a front intake fan and put some AC5 on the GPU. So, my video card is running about 5-10 degrees cooler than it was before I had the problem. I can finally OC it, where before I could run it at stock speeds (400/980) and the temps would usually top 80C. Now, with it at 425/1010 it stays around 72-75C under max load.