DEAD Mobo - NEED new one HELP PLEASE

decripple

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
I have an Asus A8N-SLI that just recently kicked the bucket. All I did was play some CS:S, browse newegg and THG then turned off my PC. The next time I tried to boot into XP, it never got to the loading bar screen. I checked the connecters on my SATA HDDs and they were all good and then restarted. No luck. I took it to a friend who tried to get on it just to take off a couple files for me. He couldn't get it to reformat or reinstall windows. He ran memtest for about 36 hours and it came up with an error at the end. He said it wasn't the RAM because the error took so long to come up, but the problem is probably a dying memory controller and a dying HDD controller because he can't reformat or reinstall windows. BTW, the HDDs were in RAID 0. So now I have to RMA the mobo so I can maybe get some money to use out of it in a second system or by selling it.

My plans are not to go SLI yet, but to overclock my CPU from 1.8 GHz to 2.4 GHz and I want a stable, dependable motherboard and I want to stay socket 939 so all I have to change is my motherboard to a better one.

My question is What motherboard would you recommend for good overclocking and good stability. It doesn't have to be SLI or Crossfire capable, but that's OK if it is on the best mobo.

The ones I am looking at are these:
ASUS A8N-E -
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813131530

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813131568

DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813136151

DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR Expert
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813136166

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813136152

Please give any help you can. Thank you.

Sincerely,
decripple

PS: here are my specs (f that helps):
AMD Opteron 165 w/Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu LED
Corsair XMS TWINX2048-3200C2PT
Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS
Antec P180B w/4 120mm CM silent fans
2 Seagate 7200.8 300GB SATA 8mb cache hds
Cooler Master RS-550-ACLY 550W PSU
eVGA 7800GT CO w/stock cooler

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
If you haven't done so, I'd try the following before giving up on the mobo.

Clear the CMOS
Set the BIOS to Default
Run the setup/repair software from the hdd mfg, you can get it from their website.
Test the hdd in anther computer as well as trying a different hdd
If you have 2 sticks of memory, try taking one out and then the other.
Try different RAM

decripple

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
I'll have to try what you said, but both trying different RAM and different HDDs would require me having extra ones to use. I'll look to see if anyone will let me borrow their stuff, though.

In any case, I would still like to ask this question: Out of the 5 previously mentioned motherboards, which ones do you recommend the most based on what I said about expandability and such. Please give me reasons why, too. I would like to prevent any potential problems if possible. Please give me any ideas or information you can. Thank you.

decripple

PS: If you have any idea how to fix my motherboard without RMAing it PLEASE tell me. Thanks.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
The reason I made the suggestions I did is because I'm not convinced it's the board. If the computer is booting up and you can get into the BIOS, chances are it's something else, especially if the problem is booting up Windows. In my experience Windows problems are most often a result of a problem with the hdd, which is usually solved by formatting the hdd using the mfg diagnostic/install program on a Floppy but this wipes everything off the hdd. Before doing this I'd try installing the hdd on another computer being sure to use the hdd already in the machine as the first boot device and try to copy anything you want to save onto that computer. While your friend doesn't think it's the memory, if it tested faulty, it's worth trying different memory. Since it sounds like you only have one computer, it might be easiest to take your machine to your friends house and work on it.

As for the mobo recommendation all I can tell you is that I have the ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, don't remember why I chose it over the A8N32 you listed, and it works fine. I don't overclock so I really can't comment on which board would best for that. I'd check out some reviews of the boards you listed on sites like tomshardware, extremetech, and other reputable tech sites.

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
PS: If you have any idea how to fix my motherboard without RMAing it PLEASE tell me. Thanks.

If you don't know what's wrong, it's impossible for anyone to recommend a fix. ASUS is pretty good about repair or replacement of boards so if you do RMA the board, they should have it (or a replacement) back in 10 days or so. It doesn't look as thought there is enough information for anyone to definately say the mobo is the problem. If you're trying to retrieve your data and programs from the drives in your RAID 0 array, you will most likely need the same RAID controller.

If you feel that it's a HDD or RAID controller problem, try formatting the drives individually, without the RAID controller.

If you're determined to buy a new mobo, by all means go for it - just keep in mind that it may have nothing to do with your problem.

You can always take the computer to a local shop and pay them to do the diagnostics.

decripple

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
Today I got the confirmation that my mobo is failing. Based on my first post in this thread, Please recommend a motherboard out of the 5 I listed AND why you recommend it. My plans are not to go SLI yet (if ever I am uncertain), but will eventually overclock my CPU from 1.8 GHz to 2.4 GHz so I want a stable, dependable motherboard. Please give any information or comparisons between the above linked motherboards if you can. Thanks again.

decripple