SATA 2 on SATA 1 motherboard?

scarfacew3

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2007
just one question.

Can u use a SATA 2 HDD on a SATA 1 Mobo? I already have a SATA 1 HDD attach on it. I want to use the new SATA 2 as 2nd HDD on my PC.

TheOnlyGonzo

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
Yes you can......Im doin it right now. I had a 80GB WD SATA I drive that failed, so i replaced it with a 250GB SATA II WD drive. There is a jumper that you can put in to make the drive act as a SATA I drive (150MB transfer) or check for a BIOS update that might get you a faster controller. That worked for my Intel board.
Good Luck.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
yes

backward compatibility = true

Damn. beat me to it... you wiley minx!

However, You are going to need to do one thing: lock down the data transfer rate on the SATA 3.0Gb/s drive. If you mix speeds or try and use a SATA 3.0Gb/s drive on a SATA 1 controller, there can be issues. It's nothing big, just toss on a jumper on to the appropriate pins. Check your manufacturers website it will tell you.

I have run into this issue on multiple occasions. I had a Raptor (which is SATA 150) and a Samsung (SATA 300) on the same controller (SATA 300) and my computer randomly locked up until I locked down the Samsung's transfer rate to SATA 150.

My friend also had an issue with the Samsung on a SATA 150 controller, but once he locked the down the data rate it was perfect.