GAIT Discrimination?

Maybe John Navas can answer this one. Recently acquired a new phone (SE
Z500a). It seems to work just fine with my GAIT sim in it except for
not being able to remove pictures from the phone to my lapop. All the
Media stuff works and I can use it to connect to E-Mail with my laptop.
Calls to Customer Service and a visit to my local store have resulted
in being told that GAIT designated accounts cannot be provisioned for
MMS. What seems incongruous(sp) is that the Carolinas (where I live)
has always been a GSM only area. All the other revenue producing
gimmicks work including AOL's AIM. One would think that at $0.25 charge
per picture they would not want to lose any revenue from what I would
guess are a significant number of GAIT users. I keep my T62u just so
that I have coverage when I travel with the motor coach. If I get in an
area with a poor GSM signal using the T62u almost always gets me a
usable signal.

There are some areas where there are no cellular signals like the
northeast corner of Maine and Big Bend National Park in Texas, but then
no-one has service.

Would appreciate any comments from John or if there's a Cingular person
monitoring this newgroup would be interested in their comments.

Bob
5 answers Last reply
More about gait discrimination

    "Monacodrvr" <opaclark@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > Maybe John Navas can answer this one. Recently acquired a new phone (SE
    > Z500a). It seems to work just fine with my GAIT sim in it except for
    > not being able to remove pictures from the phone to my lapop. All the
    > Media stuff works and I can use it to connect to E-Mail with my laptop.
    > Calls to Customer Service and a visit to my local store have resulted
    > in being told that GAIT designated accounts cannot be provisioned for
    > MMS. What seems incongruous(sp) is that the Carolinas (where I live)
    > has always been a GSM only area. All the other revenue producing
    > gimmicks work including AOL's AIM. One would think that at $0.25 charge
    > per picture they would not want to lose any revenue from what I would
    > guess are a significant number of GAIT users. I keep my T62u just so
    > that I have coverage when I travel with the motor coach. If I get in an
    > area with a poor GSM signal using the T62u almost always gets me a
    > usable signal.
    >
    > There are some areas where there are no cellular signals like the
    > northeast corner of Maine and Big Bend National Park in Texas, but then
    > no-one has service.
    >
    > Would appreciate any comments from John or if there's a Cingular person
    > monitoring this newgroup would be interested in their comments.
    >
    > Bob

    I upgraded from a GAIT plan to a GSM plan with the GAIT feature.
    500 min to 600 min
    unlimited mobile to mobile
    unlimted N/W starting at 7pm
    for $3 less per month
    my roll over min are still there as well as all the GAIT features
    only thing I didn't get that new customers get was the 100 free text
    messages
    still no contract commitment

    You may want to check on upgrading your plan to a GSM plan with the GAIT
    feature and then add the MMS.

    In article <Z4Cwd.8703$Z27.451@bignews5.bellsouth.net>,
    opaclark@bellsouth.net says...
    > Calls to Customer Service and a visit to my local store have resulted
    > in being told that GAIT designated accounts cannot be provisioned for
    > MMS. What seems incongruous(sp) is that the Carolinas (where I live)
    > has always been a GSM only area. All the other revenue producing
    > gimmicks work including AOL's AIM. One would think that at $0.25 charge

    I'm not John but I'll make a stab at a possible reason. My Nokia 6340i
    GAIT phone doesn't *DO* MMS only SMS. Looking at the T62u features I
    only see EMS not MMS. Also, the MMS option online says that Wireless
    Internet Express is required--does that mean MMS is sent via GPRS?
    Unlike your T62u the 6340i doesn't HAVE GPRS either. And I believe far
    more 6340i's were sold than the T62u.

    So Cingular's logic might run like this. If you have the GAIT feature
    on the account then there is the likelyhood that you will be using a
    GAIT phone at some point--and since you don't have to contact CS to swap
    the sim between GSM-only phone and GAIT phone the system can't tell
    which phone is being used. Now I haven't tried to send MMS to my phone
    but I assume it's either immediately rejected or returned with an error.
    At best, if MMS was activated, it might be held in their system. In any
    case Cingular might be trying to avoid problems with customers calling
    about why their MMS messages didn't get to their phone.

    One option might be to turn off the GAIT feature code until it's
    actually needed--that might allow MMS to be added. I'd want to make
    sure a comment is added making sure you can add it back later. But if
    people get used to sending you MMS and you suddenly don't have it for a
    week or so... That could be worse than not having it to begin with.
    --
    Jud
    Dallas TX USA

    Don't you have to pay roaming on TDMA and Analog when you go that route?

    Phil

    "Phil" <pclewis@sprynet.com> wrote in message
    > Don't you have to pay roaming on TDMA and Analog when you go that route?
    >
    > Phil
    <snip>

    No roaming same as before this is from the web site for my account notice
    ROAMER ADMIN FEE EXCLUSION :

    Current Rate Plan
    Description NATP 600R UMMUNW7
    Monthly cost$56.99
    Included minutes 600
    Per-minute rate$0.00
    Current Features

    FeatureMonthly Charge
    CALL FORWARDING N/C $0.00
    CALL WAITING N/C $0.00
    DETAILED BILLING N/C $0.00
    CALLER ID N/C $0.00
    DATA VOLUME DETAILED BILLING $0.00
    ROAMER ADMIN FEE EXCLUSION $0.00
    TEXT MSG PAY PER USE $0.00
    WIRELESS VOICEMAIL - BASIC N/C $0.00
    DUAL BAND $0.00
    GSM - TDMA INTEROPERABILITY $0.00
    OTA (OVER THE AIR) $0.00
    ANYTIME MIN ROLLOVER $0.00
    600 ANYTIME MINS $0.00
    UNLIMITED M2M EXPND MINS $0.00
    NATION GAIT/GSM $0.00
    7PM-7AM NIGHT MINS $0.00
    NO LONG DISTANCE WHILE ROAMING $0.00
    CINGULAR NATIONWIDE TOLL FREE $0.00
    OFF-NETWORK ROAM $0.00
    UNLIMITED EXPANDED M2M-N/C $0.00
    UNLIMITED NIGHT & WKD 777 CTH $0.00
    REGULATORY COST RECOVERY FEE $0.56
    911 MONTHLY $0.70
    WIX EXTENDED INTERNET $0.00
    WIX DATA CONNECT $0.00
    WRLSS INTRNT XPRS PAY PER USE $0.00
    Other Details
    Effective date11/17/04 Expiration date Not Available

    Monacodrvr wrote:
    > Maybe John Navas can answer this one. Recently acquired a new phone (SE
    > Z500a). It seems to work just fine with my GAIT sim in it except for
    > not being able to remove pictures from the phone to my lapop. All the
    > Media stuff works and I can use it to connect to E-Mail with my laptop.
    > Calls to Customer Service and a visit to my local store have resulted
    > in being told that GAIT designated accounts cannot be provisioned for
    > MMS. What seems incongruous(sp) is that the Carolinas (where I live)
    > has always been a GSM only area. All the other revenue producing
    > gimmicks work including AOL's AIM. One would think that at $0.25 charge
    > per picture they would not want to lose any revenue from what I would
    > guess are a significant number of GAIT users. I keep my T62u just so
    > that I have coverage when I travel with the motor coach. If I get in an
    > area with a poor GSM signal using the T62u almost always gets me a
    > usable signal.
    >
    > There are some areas where there are no cellular signals like the
    > northeast corner of Maine and Big Bend National Park in Texas, but then
    > no-one has service.
    >
    > Would appreciate any comments from John or if there's a Cingular person
    > monitoring this newgroup would be interested in their comments.
    >
    > Bob
    To all, thanks for the help. I called CS again tonight and for some
    reason it was a different story. While on the phone and in front of the
    computer I took a picture, sent it to my E-Mail and received it. As is
    often the case it appears CS is like the "luck of the draw" as far as
    who you get. Everything worked fine and the information I got last
    night was false. I just couldn't understand the incongrety in not being
    able to use MMS. It pays to be persistent and to call until you get a
    CS agent who is knowledgable.

    Bob

Cingular Internet Service Providers