Solved

I have a window xp pro can i upgrade to window 7 32 bit?

i have a win xp pro,can i upgrade to win 7 32/64 bit?
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about window upgrade window
  1. Best answer
    You do technically qualify for an upgrade to Windows 7, but you would have to do a migration install. What I would do instead is buy an OEM copy of Windows 7 (which should actually be slightly cheaper than an upgrade copy), backup your data and do a clean install.
  2. Great answer by The_Prophecy. Just wanted to add that after your clean install (the CUSTOM option) you can use Windows Easy Transfer to move your files and settings.

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-easy-transfer

    Here's the upgrade tutorial:

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7
  3. The_Prophecy said:
    You do technically qualify for an upgrade to Windows 7, but you would have to do a migration install. What I would do instead is buy an OEM copy of Windows 7 (which should actually be slightly cheaper than an upgrade copy), backup your data and do a clean install.

    many many many thanks......a lots.....
  4. Giggity said:
    Great answer by The_Prophecy. Just wanted to add that after your clean install (the CUSTOM option) you can use Windows Easy Transfer to move your files and settings.

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-easy-transfer

    Here's the upgrade tutorial:

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7

    many many many thanks.....a lot.....
  5. Easy transfer doesn't move your apps, it barely even moves files...

    You'd better try Zinstall - they have a product that can upgrade to Windows 7. It moves all your apps, settings and files. Worked for my wife's new DV7 :)
  6. I would be weary of any migration tools not provided by Microsoft. Might also be easier to just move it over yourself. It's not like you have to copy the whole drive anyway...
  7. The_Prophecy said:
    I would be weary of any migration tools not provided by Microsoft. Might also be easier to just move it over yourself. It's not like you have to copy the whole drive anyway...


    Well, they promise that if you aren't happy, you aren't charged. Also, you can't get support from Microsoft if anything goes wrong.

    And like I said, moving stuff is a problem Easy Transfer can solve somehow. It's reinstalling everything, and reconfiguring everything, and finding out stuff won't work on Win7 that is tricky - and from my past experience, takes several days...
  8. many thanks to everyone who are willing to share great idea......it help me a lot......
  9. Quote:
    Why would you want 32 bit?? ,Want to be stuck in the dark ages forever?

    ok,then i will go to 64 bit.....thanks......
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows XP Windows 7