What do I need to use two PC's?

Noya

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
Apparently my ActionTec DSL modem allows the use of the ethernet port and USB port at the same time, so what else do I need to use 2 PC's?

A KVM switch like this:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10102...p;cs_id

How does it switch between PC's automatically?

Can both PC's be running at once (like one encoding and me browsing and using Office on the other?)

Will this also allow me to transfer files from PC to PC?

Thanks in advance.

Noya

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
Because I don't have a router, just my DSL modem. It has a USB and a Ethernet output port. I want to connect 2 different PC's to the 1 DSL modem.

Here is the auto KVM switch:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10102&cs_id=1010201&p_id=121&seq=1&format=2&style=

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Well, it sounds to me like all you need to do, then, is connect one PC to the ethernet port and the other to the USB port, no switch required.

You'd have to see if your modem acts as a network switch so your two PCs can see each other on a local area network (I doubt it will do this, but it is possible - you'd have to try it to see.)

A better solution, though, would be to just buy an ethernet switch, like this one and plug both computers into it and set up a normal home network. You'd then connect the WAN output port on the switch to the ethernet input port on your modem. This, of course, assumes both of your PCs have an ethernet NIC.

BTW, if your modem does not support firewall functionality, be sure you have the Windows firewall enabled on both of your PCs.

Noya

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
Thanks, I'm a complete newb to networking.

That network switch seems like my best option. But I have one question since it is a "switch". Does it allow both PC's to be connected to the web at the same time (downloading on one and browsing on the other) ?

Also, both PC's will be connected to one monitor, that's why I linked to the KVM switch.

And yes, they both have 10/100 onboard NICs.

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Thanks, I'm a complete newb to networking.
No problem.

That network switch seems like my best option. But I have one question since it is a "switch". Does it allow both PC's to be connected to the web at the same time (downloading on one and browsing on the other) ?
Yes, it does. The switching is all electronic, automatic and internal. To you (and your computers), it just looks like one cable is connecting everything.
Also, both PC's will be connected to one monitor, that's why I linked to the KVM switch.
Different function, and manual. If you want to continue with one monitor, keyboard, and mouse shared between the two, you will also need a device like this. You switch them manually between the computers; they are connected to one at a time.

rik756

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008
I know this is an old ass thread, but I'm trying to do my homework without making a repeat post.

I have two complete systems and would like to get them both on the net at the same time. Both have onboard lan and will be in the same room (10x10 spare room).

Iceblue said the switch that he posted or one like it allow me to get both of them online at the same time. In my case, one is Vista and the other is XP. Will this still work?

Will it also allow to be send files back and forth from one computer to the other and if not, what simple application/device would?

EDIT HERE: I can't find a really good answer to the onboard lan vs PCI (PCIe) either. If anyone has a link to a good factual report, I would appreciated that too!

Thanks.

G

What type of Internet connection do you currently have? A switch only works if your DSL modem acts as a router. XP and Vista can share folders/printers if setup correctly.

Grumpy

G

You need a router. Don't forget to unplug the power to the cable modem before connecting the router.

Grumpy

rik756

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008
You need a router. Don't forget to unplug the power to the cable modem before connecting the router.

Grumpy
That's what I figured, I was just hoping there was some simple cheaper way to do it. I'd still want to have good connections on both since one is gaming and the other is browsing.

Thanks.