Spyware prevention

How do I prevent spy and adware from controling my
Internet Explorer web browser. I have installed the
latest security updates and never install pop-up
installation programs when they come up. I would think
Micorsoft would have something available for this by now.

SpyBot Search and Destroy will help remove spyware from your system. With
XP SP2 Internet Explorer will assist with blocking popups and known spyware.

Dusty Harper
Microsoft Corporation
This posting is provided "AS IS", with NO warranties and confers NO rights

"Tate Sayre" <tate@randoms.com> wrote in message
> How do I prevent spy and adware from controling my
> Internet Explorer web browser. I have installed the
> latest security updates and never install pop-up
> installation programs when they come up. I would think
> Micorsoft would have something available for this by now.

Paul

Splendid

For me it's a combination of Spybot (freeware, Patrick
Kolla), and SpySweep. One will catch things the other
won't. Spyware and adware are everywhere, and don't be
fooled by "firefox doesn't get spyware." Downloading
additional search engines gave ME spyware and I'm not back
happily to IE. Check the PC weekly for spyware, and if
you have specific sites you THINK gave it to you, go in to
Internet Options/Security, hit the "red" button, and ADD
THE NAME of that site to what will be a different set of
rules. Generally speaking, DISABLE most of the options.

You should configure Spybot to IMMUNIZE against spyware
too, and be sure and download the latest "version update"
of spyware signature file. You should be fine - and
happier with STILL THE BEST BROWSWER -- Internet Explorer.

You might try one of Mozilla's browsers instead of Internet Explorer.
Firefox is especially good and features pop-up blocking, a Google
search features. tabbed browsing, and a lot of other features not
available in Internet Explorer.

There have been lots of recommendations lately to stop using Internet
Explorer. Here are just a couple:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A6746-2004Jun25.html

More information on Mozilla available at:

http://www.mozilla.org/

Steve

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 13:41:58 -0700, "Tate Sayre" <tate@randoms.com>
wrote:

>How do I prevent spy and adware from controling my
>Internet Explorer web browser. I have installed the
>latest security updates and never install pop-up
>installation programs when they come up. I would think
>Micorsoft would have something available for this by now.

In addition to other replies, see the link below on recommended minimum Internet
Explorer security settings which will go a long way to help prevent parasites. For a
more extreme measure, see the last link on how Internet Explorer is configured by
default in Windows 2003 Server which is a little inconvenient for browsing, but
dramatically improves security for Internet Explorer. Keep in mind that adding sites
known to be secure to your trusted Web Content Zone and setting the security of it to
medium will allow normal browsing of those sites while still leaving the internet Web
Content Zone security set to high. I suggest leaving your privacy/cookie settings to
at least medium high. Be very careful to what you select yes to when a web page
prompts you for anything. The Google Toolbar is outstanding for controlling pop ups.
If you decide to install it, do not install the advanced options. --- Steve

http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm#
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;815141
http://toolbar.google.com/

"Tate Sayre" <tate@randoms.com> wrote in message
> How do I prevent spy and adware from controling my
> Internet Explorer web browser. I have installed the
> latest security updates and never install pop-up
> installation programs when they come up. I would think
> Micorsoft would have something available for this by now.

The real problem in my opinion, is Microsoft's ActiveX
which is a veritable "swiss cheese" when it comes to
internet security. The real way to prevent spyware on your
system is to prevent it from being installed in the first
place. Logical? Unfortunately ActiveX and VB scripting are
designed to do automatically install programs on your
computer in many cases without your authorization or
knowledge if you are not very careful with them.

I recommend SpywareBlaster (current version 3.2)
This is an excellent piece of software is freeware.
It prevents the spyware from being installed automatically
in Internet Explorer. This is essentially a security
problem with Internet Explorer due to ActiveX and VB
scripting.

This software is so good that Microsoft should have
written it, but then again that would require very great
skill to do.

Perhaps Microsoft should purchase SpywareBlaster and
incorporate the code into Internet Explorer to turn their
swiss cheese browser into a "gouda" browser.

Look for spywareblaster here:

QUOTED FROM SPYWAREBLASTER'S HELP FILE:
SpywareBlaster's Internet Explorer protection provides two
main options:

To quote their help file:

Prevent the installation of ActiveX-based spyware,
dialers, etc. Blocks the installation of spyware, adware,
dialers, browser hijackers, and other potentially unwanted
ActiveX-based software.
Prevent spyware/tracking cookies Blocks cookies that may
be used to track your activities, build a profile about
your habits, collect information, or uniquely identify you
to advertisers.

The first option works with all versions of Windows, and
all versions of Internet Explorer. It is recommended that
all users select the first option.

The second protection option is only available for systems
with Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher. On systems with an
earlier version of Internet Explorer, the "prevent
spyware/tracking cookies" option will be unavailable.

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 15:44:54 -0700, "Paul"

>For me it's a combination of Spybot (freeware, Patrick
>Kolla), and SpySweep. One will catch things the other
>won't. Spyware and adware are everywhere, and don't be
>fooled by "firefox doesn't get spyware." Downloading
>additional search engines gave ME spyware and I'm not back
>happily to IE. Check the PC weekly for spyware, and if
>you have specific sites you THINK gave it to you, go in to
>Internet Options/Security, hit the "red" button, and ADD
>THE NAME of that site to what will be a different set of
>rules. Generally speaking, DISABLE most of the options.

I sincerely doubt that you received spyware through Firefox. Also,
I'm not sure what you're referring to with 'downloading additional
search engines' since that's not what Firefox is. It's definitely
possible that you downloaded something through IE and received some
spyware through an extra toolbar. But Firefox doesn't need additional
search toolbars or anything to enhance the browsing experience.

Steve

If you want a free option, try downloading Spybot.
If you're willing to spend $29, I recommend STOPzilla. It
works great.