Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe with AMD64 4000+ Overclocking

JJMAN

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2005
Howdy fellas. I have the A8N32-SLI Deluxe with a AMD64-4000+ (2.4Ghz) using OCZ PC3200 1gig sticks. 2-3-2-5.
My main question is, has anyone on "this" forum that has this same setup and overclocks there cpu? I used to have an older board (I cant remmber which asus board it was) but I could overclock the fsb to 220 (2.6+Ghz) but with this new board and ram I cant oc worth a crap and make it stable. Any idears on bios overclock settings that I could maybe try?
Seems theres so many factors today between fsb, voltage for cpu, ram, motherboard, chipset and everything else, it seems harder and harder to OC. I haven't overclocked for nearly a year now but I want to try this combo overclock again.
Thanks in advance. :)

JJMAN

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2005
Just so you know this is the Graphics forums... i woulda post this on General building or CPU section.

Sorry. and ya know. I wasn't thinking. I never leave this "graphics" forum and did not even think of that post here. Your right and Sorry. :) Maybe an admin will move it over for me please. :)

sailer

Splendid
I have that mobo in my computer, but not that cpu. Shouldn't make much difference though. I'm guessing that your cpu is the single core version, though that won't make much difference in the overclock. So here's a couple ideas that may help, though no guarentee given.

In the Jumperfree line, BIOS allows that the AI Overclocking be set to Overclock profile. Do this first. Then go to FID/VID change and set that to manual. Change the processor voltage to 1.45V. Now go back to the CPU FSB Frequency line and bring the amount up in various steps, from 1%, up to a max of 10%, testing each step for stability and cpu heat. The BIOS will arrange the rest.

In the CPU configuration, go down to 1T/2T Memory Timing line and make sure the setting is on 1T. The BIOS defaults to 2T if you don't do this.

I've been using this mobo for about a year now and have found overclocking to be relatively painfree with first my 4400+ cpu and now my FX60 cpu. You should get 2.6 ghz pretty easy out of the 4000+ cpu. There is the chance that your mobo is bad, but that would probably affect more than just the overclocking. You might also use Memtest86 to check your ram and see if its working correctly with the mobo, having no errors reported.

ivanski

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
I had that proc. before and here is a link to my questions. http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=190041&highlight=
Search my name in these forums for Ocing with that motherboard.

sailer

Splendid
Change the processor voltage to 1.45V.

he would,nt need to up the vlts just yet.
atleast not starting out.

should be able to get to 2.6 without a vlt bump.

now after that then maybe.

I wasn't sure how far he intended to overclock, whether only to 2.6 or maybe a but farther, but thought this was a voltage that should take care of almost anything he would be doing on air without getting into too high a temp from the voltage itself. More of a safety valve, to my way of thinking. You're right, if he only goes to 2.6 ghz, then he might not need the extra volts at all.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
yeah i agree.

if he wants over 2.6 he may have to bump up the vlts.

i have had my 3700 s939 and x2 440 s939@ 2.6 for both
on the same asus a8nsli32 deluxe mobo.

2.7 with only 2 512 sticks. i use 4 as they are twice as fast
as the oc,s are.

oh this is with stock vlts.
i have never really tried to up the vlts on this mobo.

Stevemeister

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
I don't have that board but I have that chip. I can clock to just over 2.6 GHz no problem and run the Prime Torture test for 7 hours. I bumped up the CPU voltage to 1.5 V and I think I have the same RAM as you (OCZ EL Platinum 2-3-2-5) which can handle up to 2.8V. Increasing to 2.66 GHz resultys in instability - not sure why but it could be the FSB speed increases the memory speed beyond its limits (not sure what the limits are).

JJMAN

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2005
I don't have that board but I have that chip. I can clock to just over 2.6 GHz no problem and run the Prime Torture test for 7 hours. I bumped up the CPU voltage to 1.5 V and I think I have the same RAM as you (OCZ EL Platinum 2-3-2-5) which can handle up to 2.8V. Increasing to 2.66 GHz resultys in instability - not sure why but it could be the FSB speed increases the memory speed beyond its limits (not sure what the limits are).

Wow thanks alot for the multiple replies. I'm going to tear into that stuff and see how high I can get it.
And again, sorry for posting in the graphics part. :) I wasn't thinking.
Thanks alot fellas! :)

sailer

Splendid

This is a problem I've run into occasionally myself. When you bump up the FSB, the ram speed inceases as well. Some ram will support speeds up to 430 mhz (215 x 2) just fine, while others fail. The ram runs at an equal speed as the FSB multiplied by 2. Try reducing the ram from the 200 mhz speed down to 186 mhz, or even 166 mhz. That might cure your ram instability, though I can't guarentee it. Just an idea to try, if you haven't done it already.

1madman

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
I have a8n32sli dlx and a 4000+ with 2Gb corsair ram (4x512)
In bios I easily upped it 10%. So 2.4 stock + 10%= 2.64.
I run it that way for the last year no problems with heat, etc.

I have pushed it and with relaxed timings on ram got to 2.8
but then it became unstable and I lost the will to push further.

Never tried increasing voltage.

Has anyone with this equipment pushed beyond 2.8?

John

Posted 6/3/09 toms hardware