File Permissions

I'm a win2k administrator and I'm having a problem with
the C:\temp folder. It doesn't retain any additional
permissions I give it. For example, it gives the two
groups <local machine>/admins and <local machine>/users
rights to it, but when I go in and give everyone access,
the extra permissions only last as long as the machine
does not reboot. After a reboot all changes are lost.
Any idea on how I can stop this from happening? Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about file permissions

    I can only think that you're in a domain environment and there is a group
    policy on the domain that's setting it. Does this sound possible?

    Regards

    Oli

    "Chris Coryell" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm a win2k administrator and I'm having a problem with
    > the C:\temp folder. It doesn't retain any additional
    > permissions I give it. For example, it gives the two
    > groups <local machine>/admins and <local machine>/users
    > rights to it, but when I go in and give everyone access,
    > the extra permissions only last as long as the machine
    > does not reboot. After a reboot all changes are lost.
    > Any idea on how I can stop this from happening? Thanks.

    Thanks for replying! I absolutely think that it's being
    set in the group policy, but I can't figure out where to
    change it. I've looked through the knowledge book, but it
    hasn't been any help.

    wrote in message
    >> I'm a win2k administrator and I'm having a problem with
    >> the C:\temp folder. It doesn't retain any additional
    >> permissions I give it. For example, it gives the two
    >> groups <local machine>/admins and <local machine>/users
    >> rights to it, but when I go in and give everyone access,
    >> the extra permissions only last as long as the machine
    >> does not reboot. After a reboot all changes are lost.
    >> Any idea on how I can stop this from happening?
    Thanks.

    >.

    Maybe a startup script using cacls or xacls? Or maybe that could be a
    ix? --- Steve

    "Oli Restorick [MVP]" <oli@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > I can only think that you're in a domain environment and there is a group
    > policy on the domain that's setting it. Does this sound possible?
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Oli
    >

    > "Chris Coryell" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm a win2k administrator and I'm having a problem with
    > > the C:\temp folder. It doesn't retain any additional
    > > permissions I give it. For example, it gives the two
    > > groups <local machine>/admins and <local machine>/users
    > > rights to it, but when I go in and give everyone access,
    > > the extra permissions only last as long as the machine
    > > does not reboot. After a reboot all changes are lost.
    > > Any idea on how I can stop this from happening? Thanks.

    As Steven says, a startup script running cacls could do it.

    Also, look for group policies that affect file permissions. Make use of
    gpresult command (resource kit) tool in verbose or super-verbose mode to see
    if you can track it down.

    Also, if a security template is being applied with group policy, that could
    be doing it. I haven't seen many people do that, though, so check the other
    alternatives first.

    Hope this helps

    Oli

    "Chris" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks for replying! I absolutely think that it's being
    > set in the group policy, but I can't figure out where to
    > change it. I've looked through the knowledge book, but it
    > hasn't been any help.

Security Microsoft Permissions Windows