File Permissions

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
a b 8 Security
July 20, 2004 8:42:48 AM

I'm a win2k administrator and I'm having a problem with
the C:\temp folder. It doesn't retain any additional
permissions I give it. For example, it gives the two
groups <local machine>/admins and <local machine>/users
rights to it, but when I go in and give everyone access,
the extra permissions only last as long as the machine
does not reboot. After a reboot all changes are lost.
Any idea on how I can stop this from happening? Thanks.

More about : file permissions

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 20, 2004 10:02:54 PM

I can only think that you're in a domain environment and there is a group
policy on the domain that's setting it. Does this sound possible?

Regards

Oli

"Chris Coryell" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm a win2k administrator and I'm having a problem with
> the C:\temp folder. It doesn't retain any additional
> permissions I give it. For example, it gives the two
> groups <local machine>/admins and <local machine>/users
> rights to it, but when I go in and give everyone access,
> the extra permissions only last as long as the machine
> does not reboot. After a reboot all changes are lost.
> Any idea on how I can stop this from happening? Thanks.
July 20, 2004 10:02:55 PM

Thanks for replying! I absolutely think that it's being
set in the group policy, but I can't figure out where to
change it. I've looked through the knowledge book, but it
hasn't been any help.

wrote in message
>> I'm a win2k administrator and I'm having a problem with
>> the C:\temp folder. It doesn't retain any additional
>> permissions I give it. For example, it gives the two
>> groups <local machine>/admins and <local machine>/users
>> rights to it, but when I go in and give everyone access,
>> the extra permissions only last as long as the machine
>> does not reboot. After a reboot all changes are lost.
>> Any idea on how I can stop this from happening?
Thanks.

>.

a b 8 Security
July 20, 2004 10:02:55 PM

Maybe a startup script using cacls or xacls? Or maybe that could be a
ix? --- Steve

"Oli Restorick [MVP]" <oli@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:o meBotnbEHA.3148@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> I can only think that you're in a domain environment and there is a group
> policy on the domain that's setting it. Does this sound possible?
>
> Regards
>
> Oli
>

> "Chris Coryell" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm a win2k administrator and I'm having a problem with
> > the C:\temp folder. It doesn't retain any additional
> > permissions I give it. For example, it gives the two
> > groups <local machine>/admins and <local machine>/users
> > rights to it, but when I go in and give everyone access,
> > the extra permissions only last as long as the machine
> > does not reboot. After a reboot all changes are lost.
> > Any idea on how I can stop this from happening? Thanks.

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 21, 2004 2:25:56 AM

As Steven says, a startup script running cacls could do it.

Also, look for group policies that affect file permissions. Make use of
gpresult command (resource kit) tool in verbose or super-verbose mode to see
if you can track it down.

Also, if a security template is being applied with group policy, that could
be doing it. I haven't seen many people do that, though, so check the other
alternatives first.

Hope this helps

Oli

!