Need help, screen is blank using dvi

ryuhaikaru

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2005
Hello felllas,
I m having trouble here. Recently I built a new system and planning to use it as a gaming PC. Below is the specification of the system:
Core 2 Duo 2.13ghz

Biostar 945P a7a
1Ghz DDR2 533
XFX Geforce 7600GT
250gb HDD

I assembled the system with no problem prior to experience in assembling alot of systems before. The problem is the graphic card has two DVI output (which means no VGA one) and I m using Viewsonic Optiquest. When I booted the system, the monitor failed to detect the signal eventhough I attached the DVI analog adapter. So, I cannot install the OS because I cannot see a thing from the screen.

How should i deal with this? Since this new system is using PCI-e I cannot test it out with my former AGP graphic card. I hope someone can help me to figure this out.

And let say if I get a vga graphic card temporarily for installing the OS, will the XFX one is guaranteed working? thanks alot for da help.

P/S: The mobo doesnt have onboard graphic device. :(

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Some monitors aren't capable of displaying the signal from that card, even if you use an adapter. How old is your monitor, and what type? Try borrowing a late-model LCD from a friend, and try that on your sys.

ryuhaikaru

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2005
I just tried the pc using my friend latest wide screen monitor ( that monitor has its own dvi socket and my friend is using dvi cable ). But no luck. The graphic card's fan works fine which shows there is power but there is definitely no signal to the screen. I m using Viewsonic Optiquest lcd.

I ve been thinking what is the real problem behind this. Is the card DOA?

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
The other thing that effects your video display is memory. Are you certain of compatiblity of your RAM with that motherboard? Try pulling it and re-seating it. Try the stick(s) in a different slot, making sure it's seated. Do you get any beeps or other indicators that the mb is going through post, even though you don't have a display? Can you borrow a couple of sticks from your buddy with the LCD, and try those on your board? If that doesn't work, it's starting to look like a dead card. Bummer.

ryuhaikaru

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2005
Thanks for ur reply.

Yes i m sure of it. I have DDR2 and that mobo has DD2 slot too. It fits well. Dunno, maybe I ll try tomorrow on my friends pc.