Multi SLI. Is this where Nvidia is going?

noidly1

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
this is a copy of a topic i have in the mobo thread.

Here's one for you.

i recently purchaced a pair of 8800 v-cards.
on them i noticed 2 goldfingers.
i inquired nvidia and they responded, "for future use"

after looking around for a mobo, i found some have 3 PCI-E slots equally spaced.

Hmmm. with 2 gold fingers on 3 v-cards, you can "chain" them together on 3 PCI-E X16 slots.

if my intuition is correct, can you say "TRI-SLI"?
or with dual GPUs, can you say "HEX-SLI"?

i bet this is where nvidia is going and might come out with 9000 v-cards and 700 chipsets for this kind of setup...

anyone have any thoughts on this?

tpmeredith

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
this is a copy of a topic i have in the mobo thread.

Here's one for you.

i recently purchaced a pair of 8800 v-cards.
on them i noticed 2 goldfingers.
i inquired nvidia and they responded, "for future use"

after looking around for a mobo, i found some have 3 PCI-E slots equally spaced.

Hmmm. with 2 gold fingers on 3 v-cards, you can "chain" them together on 3 PCI-E X16 slots.

if my intuition is correct, can you say "TRI-SLI"?
or with dual GPUs, can you say "HEX-SLI"?

i bet this is where nvidia is going and might come out with 9000 v-cards and 700 chipsets for this kind of setup...

anyone have any thoughts on this?

Ya, when I first heard of SLI I was kinda hoping it would just be a fad that died out soon, and stayed around for extreme enthuisiasts like dual-CPU's / etc.

Personally, when I build a computer I buy one video card, and by the time I get money to get a 2nd one for SLI it would be better spent upgrading to a new model.

I don't really like the idea of having 4 good video cards vs 1 great video card cause of power/costs/bottlenecks

Also, Quad SLI has been out for a few months, but they only let it stay with big companies like dell/alienware/apple/etc for some reason. Not sure if most of them still have the quad SLI configs on there tho, while apple might("LOL TRUE POWER 4 7300GTS"). Not sure why apple would want people to have 4 7300GT's when the money is a lot better spent on a 8800GTS or maybe even GTX, but hell, its apple, speed hasn't really been there strongpoint.