File & Folder Permissions

Hi

I'm looking for a good web site that gives clear instructions on file &
folder permissions. I need to explain it to a user and am struggling to put
it in my own words.

Thanks in advance

Steve
4 answers Last reply
More about file folder permissions

    What exactly is it you're looking for?

    SLingerUK wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I'm looking for a good web site that gives clear instructions on file
    > & folder permissions. I need to explain it to a user and am
    > struggling to put it in my own words.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Steve

    Hello,

    Here are some links that should help:

    Basic File and Folder Permissions
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us
    /Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prdd_s
    ec_owkt.asp

    Advanced File and Folder Permissions
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us
    /Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/reskit/en-us/prdd_s
    ec_letd.asp

    To set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/professional/help/default.asp?url=/w
    indows2000/en/professional/help/acl_set_permissions.htm

    How inheritance affects file and folder permissions
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/professional/help/default.asp?url=/w
    indows2000/en/professional/help/acl_inherit_permissions.htm

    File and folder permissions
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/datacenter
    /proddocs/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/windowsserv/2003/da
    tacenter/proddocs/en-us/acl_folder_permissions.asp

    Thank You.

    Diana

    The following may help for ntfs permissions. Share permissions are much less
    complex and the first barrier to a network user trying to access a network
    folder. For a network user, their effective permission will be the most
    restrictive of the two permissions - share or ntfs. --- Steve

    http://www.windowsitlibrary.com/Content/592/1.html#1
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301281

    "SLingerUK" <Steve.Linger@his-herts.nhs.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I'm looking for a good web site that gives clear instructions on file &
    > folder permissions. I need to explain it to a user and am struggling to
    put
    > it in my own words.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Steve

    Diana/Steven

    That was exactly the type of stuff I was looking for. Many thanks.

    Steve

    "SLingerUK" <Steve.Linger@his-herts.nhs.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I'm looking for a good web site that gives clear instructions on file &
    > folder permissions. I need to explain it to a user and am struggling to
    put
    > it in my own words.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Steve