File & Folder Permissions

Hi

I'm looking for a good web site that gives clear instructions on file &
folder permissions. I need to explain it to a user and am struggling to put
it in my own words.

Thanks in advance

Steve

What exactly is it you're looking for?

SLingerUK wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm looking for a good web site that gives clear instructions on file
> & folder permissions. I need to explain it to a user and am
> struggling to put it in my own words.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Steve

Hello,

Here are some links that should help:

Basic File and Folder Permissions
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us
/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prdd_s
ec_owkt.asp

Advanced File and Folder Permissions
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us
/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/reskit/en-us/prdd_s
ec_letd.asp

To set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/professional/help/default.asp?url=/w
indows2000/en/professional/help/acl_set_permissions.htm

How inheritance affects file and folder permissions
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/professional/help/default.asp?url=/w
indows2000/en/professional/help/acl_inherit_permissions.htm

File and folder permissions
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/datacenter
/proddocs/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/windowsserv/2003/da
tacenter/proddocs/en-us/acl_folder_permissions.asp

Thank You.

Diana

The following may help for ntfs permissions. Share permissions are much less
complex and the first barrier to a network user trying to access a network
folder. For a network user, their effective permission will be the most
restrictive of the two permissions - share or ntfs. --- Steve

http://www.windowsitlibrary.com/Content/592/1.html#1
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301281

"SLingerUK" <Steve.Linger@his-herts.nhs.uk> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I'm looking for a good web site that gives clear instructions on file &
> folder permissions. I need to explain it to a user and am struggling to
put
> it in my own words.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Steve

Diana/Steven

That was exactly the type of stuff I was looking for. Many thanks.

Steve