using a rotor for OTA HD

Last response: in Home Theatre
July 8, 2004 9:45:44 PM

Would that help "tweak" the signal? I'm about 75 miles from the towers.
I have a roof mounted antenna that gave fair reception for SD.

More about : rotor ota

Anonymous
July 8, 2004 10:51:01 PM

Jim Waggener wrote:
> Would that help "tweak" the signal? I'm about 75 miles from the towers.
> I have a roof mounted antenna that gave fair reception for SD.

What's the issue? No picture, pixelating picture, signal coming and
going, or what? What do you consider "fair" reception for SD? When you
say "SD" are you talking about the standard definition digital signal or
the analog signal?
Anonymous
July 9, 2004 12:22:23 AM

"Jeff Shoaf" <jeffshoaf@alltel.net> wrote in message
> Jim Waggener wrote:
> > Would that help "tweak" the signal? I'm about 75 miles from the towers.
> > I have a roof mounted antenna that gave fair reception for SD.
> >

> What's the issue? No picture, pixelating picture, signal coming and
> going, or what? What do you consider "fair" reception for SD? When you
> say "SD" are you talking about the standard definition digital signal or
> the analog signal?

oi, I made a quick connect from the roof ant to the tube ( Sony 32HS510)
I was able to get the local HD when I included a Radio Shack pre-amp. They
fuzzing in and out. My question is if having a "rotor" can tweak the signal.

Jim

July 9, 2004 2:27:40 AM

It will just allow you to turn the antenna to better receive the signal u r
trying to get, whether it is analog or digital. I use one for my OTA antenna
which is the only way to receive local digital channels via the VOOM dbs. It
works very well for me and I am only about 25 miles from the Atlanta
towers...but I am in a valley in my subdivision and need a preamp and the
rotor to really receive a good strong signal.

"Jim Waggener" <jimw@nospam.visi.net> wrote in message

> "Jeff Shoaf" <jeffshoaf@alltel.net> wrote in message
> > Jim Waggener wrote:
> > > Would that help "tweak" the signal? I'm about 75 miles from the
towers.
> > > I have a roof mounted antenna that gave fair reception for SD.
> > >

> > What's the issue? No picture, pixelating picture, signal coming and
> > going, or what? What do you consider "fair" reception for SD? When you
> > say "SD" are you talking about the standard definition digital signal or
> > the analog signal?
> >
> oi, I made a quick connect from the roof ant to the tube ( Sony 32HS510)
> I was able to get the local HD when I included a Radio Shack pre-amp.
They
> fuzzing in and out. My question is if having a "rotor" can tweak the
signal.

> Jim

July 9, 2004 2:33:34 AM

> Would that help "tweak" the signal? I'm about 75 miles from the towers.
> I have a roof mounted antenna that gave fair reception for SD.

If all of the towers are in the same general location and you are 75 miles
away there isn't much pointing to be done. I'm not a mathematician but if
the towers were spread out even 5 or 10 miles apart and you were 75 miles
away the angle between the two further most towers would probably be a
smaller angle then the swath of the most directional antenna you could buy.
You probably should look into buying a larger, higher gain antenna and
mounting it with as much elevation as possible.
July 9, 2004 1:03:47 PM

75 miles is over the horizon....60 miles is usually about max, and that's on
flat level ground from you to the transmitter. Unless you're up on a
mountain, of course...otherwise furgetaboutit.

"Jim Waggener" <jimw@nospam.visi.net> wrote in message
> Would that help "tweak" the signal? I'm about 75 miles from the towers.
> I have a roof mounted antenna that gave fair reception for SD.

July 9, 2004 11:46:30 PM

"Curmudgeon" <biteme@nospam.net> wrote in message
> 75 miles is over the horizon....60 miles is usually about max, and that's
on
> flat level ground from you to the transmitter. Unless you're up on a
> mountain, of course...otherwise furgetaboutit.

This is on the East coast on the Chesapeake Bay......bout as flat as you can
get. Metro area is Norfolk/Hampton/Virginia Beach. 60 miles max huh?

July 10, 2004 3:20:56 AM

Absolutely!!!

Especially if your antenna is directional like a Winegard HD-9095P which is
what I have.

Here's a link to their site: http://www.winegard.com/offair/pdf/hd9095p.pdf

"Jim Waggener" <jimw@nospam.visi.net> wrote in message
> Would that help "tweak" the signal? I'm about 75 miles from the towers.
> I have a roof mounted antenna that gave fair reception for SD.

July 10, 2004 3:20:57 AM

"Patrick Shugrue" <shugrue@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Absolutely!!!
>
> Especially if your antenna is directional like a Winegard HD-9095P which
> is
> what I have.
>
> Here's a link to their site:
> http://www.winegard.com/offair/pdf/hd9095p.pdf

Again I will say if the towers are all in the same general area and 75 miles
away I can't see how rotating even the most directional antenna would make
any difference as the acceptance angle of the antenna would be much wider
than the spread of the towers.
Anonymous
July 10, 2004 1:49:05 PM

Charles Tomaras wrote:

> Again I will say if the towers are all in the same general area and 75 miles
> away I can't see how rotating even the most directional antenna would make
> any difference as the acceptance angle of the antenna would be much wider
> than the spread of the towers.

Charles,

I think the plan here is not to selectively reject any one channel in
favor of another. Indeed, if all of the channels are mounted on the
same tower (zero separation) AND one has an antenna with some amount of
directionality then it follows that by rotating the antenna toward the
tower will provide additional antenna gain and a higher signal.

Jerry
Anonymous
July 11, 2004 3:13:39 AM

"Jsheldon" <jsheldonNOTTTHIS@his.com> wrote in message

> Charles Tomaras wrote:
>
>> Again I will say if the towers are all in the same general area and 75
>> miles away I can't see how rotating even the most directional antenna
>> would make any difference as the acceptance angle of the antenna would be
>> much wider than the spread of the towers.
>
> Charles,
>
> I think the plan here is not to selectively reject any one channel in
> favor of another. Indeed, if all of the channels are mounted on the same
> tower (zero separation) AND one has an antenna with some amount of
> directionality then it follows that by rotating the antenna toward the
> tower will provide additional antenna gain and a higher signal.
>
> Jerry

Exactly what I'm saying. If he is 75 miles from "the city" and the towers
are in "the city" then the spread of the towers can't possibly appear wider
then the angle of acceptance of even the most directional of antennas and it
would be a waste of money to put a rotator on his roof as he would only need
to aim the antenna ONCE when he installed it. Even if the towers were 20
miles apart but 75 miles distant that would probably be something like a 15
degree arc so rotating the antenna wouldn't make a difference because merely
pointing the antenna towards the center of the transmitters would cover them
all without further adjustment.
Anonymous
July 11, 2004 6:12:23 PM

Charles Tomaras wrote:

> Exactly what I'm saying. ...

I apologize. I misunderstood your post. ;-)

Jerry
July 13, 2004 1:22:32 PM

I am 71 miles from most of the HDTV stations I can receive. without a rotor
I can not get all 5 with out some slight change of ant.

> Charles Tomaras wrote:
>
> > Exactly what I'm saying. ...
>
> I apologize. I misunderstood your post. ;-)
>
> Jerry

Anonymous
July 17, 2004 2:46:52 AM

"Jim" <oljim@islc.net> wrote in message
>I am 71 miles from most of the HDTV stations I can receive. without a rotor
> I can not get all 5 with out some slight change of ant.

How far apart geographically are the transmitters from each other?

!