Windows 2000 Professional User Password Reset or By-Pass

I'm a volunteer with the Boys & Girls Club of the
Northern Cheyenne Nation in Lame Deer, MT -
www.ncbgclub.org -
and we are having difficulty with one of our computers
running Windows 2000 Professional.
A former employee has left us without the user password
she created, and we have no idea how to reset it or by-
pass it.

There's data on the computer that we really want access
to, and we bought a copy of Windows 2000 Profressional to
replace the copy of the software that we had lost.
Unfortunately, the software we purchased does not provide
us with the support service we need to get past the
password. Looking through the Microsoft support site,
there's lots of talk of an administrative password. We
have no idea what that password might be.

I'm a basic computer user, and would really appreciate
any step by step solutions you can provide. Thank you
for your help!

Mark Tirpak,

Volunteer
Boys & Girls Club of the Northern Cheyenne Nation
3 answers Last reply
More about windows 2000 professional user password reset pass

    Hi Mark.

    If the computer is using fat32 file system you can boot from a boot floppy
    and run this command [ del c:\winnt\system32\config\sam ] assuming drive C
    is the system drive. After a reboot, you can log on as administrator with no
    password meaning blank, empty password.

    If that does not work, you have the option of putting the hard drive in
    another computer running W2K/XP to copy off the needed data. You may have to
    logon as an administrator and take ownership of the folders if first denied
    access. Note that if the files are encrypted via EFS you will not be able to
    access them from another operating system.

    The link below is to a free download that can reset the built in
    administrator account to null/blank and is handy to have as another
    alternative. good luck. --- Steve

    http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm

    "Mark Tirpak" <marktirpak2000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I'm a volunteer with the Boys & Girls Club of the
    > Northern Cheyenne Nation in Lame Deer, MT -
    > www.ncbgclub.org -
    > and we are having difficulty with one of our computers
    > running Windows 2000 Professional.
    > A former employee has left us without the user password
    > she created, and we have no idea how to reset it or by-
    > pass it.
    >
    > There's data on the computer that we really want access
    > to, and we bought a copy of Windows 2000 Profressional to
    > replace the copy of the software that we had lost.
    > Unfortunately, the software we purchased does not provide
    > us with the support service we need to get past the
    > password. Looking through the Microsoft support site,
    > there's lots of talk of an administrative password. We
    > have no idea what that password might be.
    >
    > I'm a basic computer user, and would really appreciate
    > any step by step solutions you can provide. Thank you
    > for your help!
    >
    > Mark Tirpak,
    >
    > Volunteer
    > Boys & Girls Club of the Northern Cheyenne Nation

    Mark, as Steve noted if the c:\ drive was setup as FAT then the procedure he outlined works fine. If it is setup as NTFS which to me is more typical of W2K installations, then you will need the NTFSDOS utility from WINTERNALS which provides the means to boot from a dos diskette and then allows you to take the same actions that Steve identified. WINTERNALS wizard steps you through the NTFSDOS diskette creation process. There is a cost for NTFSDOS which is well worth it. Searching Google for Universal Boot Disk (or UBD) will provide you with a "tool" that has similiar functionality for free....however AFAIK the source is not verifiable and depending on where you get it, could be more problems than it's worth, especially if you need specific steps.

    "Mark Tirpak" wrote:

    > I'm a volunteer with the Boys & Girls Club of the
    > Northern Cheyenne Nation in Lame Deer, MT -
    > www.ncbgclub.org -
    > and we are having difficulty with one of our computers
    > running Windows 2000 Professional.
    > A former employee has left us without the user password
    > she created, and we have no idea how to reset it or by-
    > pass it.
    >
    > There's data on the computer that we really want access
    > to, and we bought a copy of Windows 2000 Profressional to
    > replace the copy of the software that we had lost.
    > Unfortunately, the software we purchased does not provide
    > us with the support service we need to get past the
    > password. Looking through the Microsoft support site,
    > there's lots of talk of an administrative password. We
    > have no idea what that password might be.
    >
    > I'm a basic computer user, and would really appreciate
    > any step by step solutions you can provide. Thank you
    > for your help!
    >
    > Mark Tirpak,
    >
    > Volunteer
    > Boys & Girls Club of the Northern Cheyenne Nation

    hi, you are having exactly the same problem as me i dont
    know my admin password,i have been told that i have to
    uninstall windows and reinstall it,(reboot) and thats the
    only way to get around the problem, to me thats a pretty
    scary thing to do,and i dont know what stuff you will lose
    either, sorry i cant help more

Windows 2000 Microsoft Windows