Just a few quick E6400/DS3 questions from an O/C newbie

dpf1978

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
Howdy folks,

I've been reading up on this for a while and there are still a few things that I'm not quite clear on so I figured I'd just throw them out here and see if anyone can help:

1. My E6400 @ 3.2GHz 1.31V is running under full Orthos load at 56-58C, before the AS5 has had time to settle. I assume this is safe, right?

2. I was told to up the FSBv and the MCHv by .1 each to keep it stable in Orthos--is that necessary? More importantly, is that dangerous to my hardware? I've got them both bumped right now.

3. While my CPUv is set to 1.31-1.33V, under full load in CPU-Z it's only showing 1.264V. Is that normal?

4. Can any of these voltage setting be lowered? I'm so nervous about the increased voltage damaging my components.

5. Do temps drop over time once a system has had time to "burn-in"? I'm hoping I can get these temps down closer to 55C at full load over time.

6. Are there any settings in the Gigabyte DS3 BIOS that you'd RECOMMEND turning off?

Thanks for ANY answers or speculation you can dish my way!

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
1) Temp is fine. It will probably drop a couple more degrees.

2) Try dropping the voltages back to stock and if it is unstable, raise them back up. Too much voltage can harm your hardware, but .1v will not hurt anything very quickly.

3) Disregard CPU-Z's voltage readings, they are always off. Go by what you set in the BIOS.

4) Drop one voltage level on one part, check with Orthos for a few minutes, drop another, check Orthos...etc... until you are unstable then raise it back up one level and run Orthos for a few hours.

5) Temps should drop a few degrees, don't expect too much though. You can always drop the voltage on the CPU one level and find the highest stable OC at that voltage if you want to drop temps.

6) Check wusy's sticky, not sure if he has DS3 settings in there or not, I have never cruised a DS3 BIOS so can't help you there.

dpf1978

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
The problem I'm having is that Orthos errors out after a couple of hours, so it's not like I can just flip through testing things quickly. = /