Sign in with
Your question

How do I tell if my motherboard is dead? (new build)

Last response: in Motherboards
February 10, 2007 1:05:55 AM

I am trying to power up the following:

Intel BOXDG965WHMKR LGA 775 G965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Pentium D 820 Smithfield 2.8GHz LGA 775 Processor BX80551PG2800FN
COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW SECC ATX Mid Tower Case
FSP AX400-PN 400W

I originally had everything connected (DVD, floppy, case wiring, HD, etc.), and when I tried to power on I got a blue light on the front of the case and a green light on the MB -- nothing else.

I then disconnected everything except power to MB, fans, and CPU (have removed it once and don't want to go through the whole thermal paste/break-my-thumbs-on-the-heatsink-fasteners thing again). Tried to power on with a flathead screwdriver to the power pins -- nothing.

I removed the PSU and took it to a local computer shop and they found it to be working.

I reinstalled the PSU, and tried the fans/CPU only w/ the screwdriver test -- still nothing. (Have double-checked that the power switch is ON on the back of the case.)

My next step is to remove the MB and see if there are any loose screws or something that might be grounding it -- but I really don't think there are.

If I can't find anything, then what? How do I know if the MB is bad? (This is my 2nd build -- definitely not an expert.) I remember going through something like this with my first build -- I was convinced the MB was bad, but it turned out to be a faulty power switch. I think I've ruled that out, but wondered if there's more I can do...

Thanks. mcaren

More about : motherboard dead build

February 10, 2007 1:43:43 AM

Quote:
I am trying to power up the following:

Intel BOXDG965WHMKR LGA 775 G965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Pentium D 820 Smithfield 2.8GHz LGA 775 Processor BX80551PG2800FN
COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW SECC ATX Mid Tower Case
FSP AX400-PN 400W

I originally had everything connected (DVD, floppy, case wiring, HD, etc.), and when I tried to power on I got a blue light on the front of the case and a green light on the MB -- nothing else.

I then disconnected everything except power to MB, fans, and CPU (have removed it once and don't want to go through the whole thermal paste/break-my-thumbs-on-the-heatsink-fasteners thing again). Tried to power on with a flathead screwdriver to the power pins -- nothing.

I removed the PSU and took it to a local computer shop and they found it to be working.

I reinstalled the PSU, and tried the fans/CPU only w/ the screwdriver test -- still nothing. (Have double-checked that the power switch is ON on the back of the case.)

My next step is to remove the MB and see if there are any loose screws or something that might be grounding it -- but I really don't think there are.

If I can't find anything, then what? How do I know if the MB is bad? (This is my 2nd build -- definitely not an expert.) I remember going through something like this with my first build -- I was convinced the MB was bad, but it turned out to be a faulty power switch. I think I've ruled that out, but wondered if there's more I can do...

Thanks. mcaren

Stupid question....is the CMOS reset jumper in the right position?
February 10, 2007 2:39:46 AM

RJ -- I'm not sure. I've included a link for the MB diagram. If you're talking about the 3-pins that the MB label calls the "Bios Configuration Jumper Block," and you're facing it (with the fan pins to the right of this block), then the jumpers are covering the two right pins (the ones closest to the fan pins). I don't know how to tell what the numbering scheme is -- there appears to be an arrow pointing to the right-most of these pins, but I'm not sure if I'm seeing it correctly (it's awfully tiny). I thought the arrow meant 1, and if so the 1 and 2 pins have the jumpers, which according to the diagram would be the normal setting.

ftp://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d...

Does that sound like it's in the right position?

Thanks. mcaren
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
August 15, 2008 9:46:14 PM

Did you connect the 20 pin and the 4 pin power connectors to the motherboard?
March 3, 2009 3:03:35 PM

DO YOU HAVE THE CORRECT POWER SUPPLY---SOME POWER SUPPLY'S ARE WIRED DIFFERENTLY and will work on that company's MB's & not others ! I believe Dell does that ---they want you to use their power supply on their MB's so they wire them so they won't work on others !
!