  • Memory
  • Windows XP
a b } Memory
February 27, 2005 9:25:03 AM

High,
My PC runs XP Pro.
Before installing a certain antivirus, it was fine and dandy.
After installing that AV, the system became terribly slow. But, that is not
the only problem.
I use a memory monitoring and recovery tool.
When monitoring memory, it starts declinging while the system is idle. That
is, while no user or appearent system activitiy is taking place, memory
starts declining by its own.
My AV is up-to-date and I have a dedicated Anti-spam.
Right now, the system uses a chubby page file of over 700 MB.
Any idea what could be going on there AND any suggestions.
Thanks
Yba

More about : system slow

Anonymous
a b } Memory
February 27, 2005 11:02:18 AM

Please name the programs you are talking about. "A certain antivirus"
doesn't help. Please describe your system with specifics.

"yba02" <yba02@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> High,
> My PC runs XP Pro.
> Before installing a certain antivirus, it was fine and dandy.
> After installing that AV, the system became terribly slow. But, that is
> not
> the only problem.
> I use a memory monitoring and recovery tool.
> When monitoring memory, it starts declinging while the system is idle.
> That
> is, while no user or appearent system activitiy is taking place, memory
> starts declining by its own.
> My AV is up-to-date and I have a dedicated Anti-spam.
> Right now, the system uses a chubby page file of over 700 MB.
> Any idea what could be going on there AND any suggestions.
> Thanks
> Yba
February 27, 2005 12:02:17 PM

"yba02" <yba02@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> High,
> My PC runs XP Pro.
> Before installing a certain antivirus, it was fine and dandy.
> After installing that AV, the system became terribly slow. But, that is
not
> the only problem.
> I use a memory monitoring and recovery tool.
> When monitoring memory, it starts declinging while the system is idle.
That
> is, while no user or appearent system activitiy is taking place, memory
> starts declining by its own.
> My AV is up-to-date and I have a dedicated Anti-spam.
> Right now, the system uses a chubby page file of over 700 MB.
> Any idea what could be going on there AND any suggestions.
> Thanks
> Yba

Many of the well known virus checkers are horrible memory hogs.
You can either add more RAM or use a lighter virus checker.
I just use one of the free, lightweight virus utilities and really like it.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
February 28, 2005 1:02:28 AM

AVG free version from grisoft www.grisoft.com