Feb 10, 2007
here is the PC I'm going to be building soon:

core 2 duo e6700
eVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR Motherboard
geforce 8800GTX
2GB RAM
1-3 Hard Drives, haven't decided on the HD or configuration yet
SOUND BLASTER XFi Fatal1ty FPS

what I need help with is finding a reasonably priced power supply, case with good cooling, and CPU cooling. by reasonably priced I mean quality mid-range stuff that isn't too expensive

a few things to consider is that I plan on overclocking. I want to OC my CPU, GPU, and Memory. In a few months I plan to upgrade to 4GB RAM, and much later down the road I'll buy a 2nd 8800GTX and run SLI...so I definitely want to buy something now that will be ready to OC and be capable of handling the upgrades

obviously the case will need enough room for 2 PCIE cards, and room for up to 3 HDs. heat building up is a concern of mine with OCing and the planned upgrades, and I'm not sure how much difference the case heat will be with 3 HDs as opposed to 1...but I do want a case with decent cooling/ventilation

for the PSU I was looking at the PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610, but I'm not sure how will it handle overclocking or the inevitable expansion

maximus1284

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
heh, yeah, well to be honest I wouldn't have even known about it if I hadn't read about it from the sharkyextreme "extreme pc guide." if it is capable of handling everything I plan to throw at it and I have the money I may get it. if I can find something comparable for a lower price, maybe I'll go that route. truth is my knowledge of PSUs is fairly limited

maximus1284

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
you guys think I could survive on a mid tower? a lot of the full towers seem insanely large and heavy. I've never owned a full tower, in fact I've owned a laptop for the past 5 years haha

I found this one, which looks to be a good price for the case: http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=371252&prodlist=pricegrabber

ventilation is my main concern, so if I could go with a mid tower I'd be fine with that...but then I wonder if the smaller quarters would lead to significantly increased temperatures