satellite computing

RandyJ

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
I hope someone will clarify the term "satellite computer"... from what little I know this is more of a proprietary term or name of a Toshiba notebook. A friend of mine brought over his notebook and told me it will hook up to satellite and he can pick up the internet from anywhere he has a clear line of sight to the satellite. Am I wrong? Or is it actually just the name of the Toshiba wireless computer with a wireless network card such as would conntect to a WiFi... or what? My knowledge of computing is a little stale an I'm not up to date on the latest technology and gizmo's but I would be interested in connecting to the internet via satellite from anywhere for "free" as my friend was telling me his computer can do..

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Well, if in fact he told you he is getting free internet from satellite into his laptop, he is either delusional, confused, or has hacked cellular broadband and is calling that satellite.

There are satellite internet service providers (Hughes is probably the best known), but they work through a small dish like satellite TV uses.

If he was being even almost truthful, he was probably using cellular broadband, such as this service from Verizon. It works using the cell phone towers, not the satellites directly, and it costs on the order of $60 per month.