Losing internet connection

Mike

Splendid

I have just re-connected my internet connection after some
time and found that every time i connected to the line to
dial up my pc hung and had to be reset.

I then re-installed windows and tried again. It now dials
up but loses the connection after 2-3 mins and needs to be
re-dialled.

I have reinstalled the internal modem and drivers (this
was done during w2k reinstall too)

Could this be a virus...? How can I tell... or get rid
of it without an internet connection to update my virus
package (this isnt recognising any viruses but hasnt been
updated for a while).

Thnx guys

A virus or parasite can certainly cause strange behavior and you should scan your
computer for both. However I would also contact your ISP and ask for any advice since
you are able to connect for at least a couple of minutes. Microsoft will send you a
free cdrom that has updates and other helpful software, including free antivirus
software, that may help your situation. Also look in Event Viewer to see if any
errors appear that may give you a clue as where to look. Also check to see if you are
using the latest drivers for your modem and try booting into safe mode with
networking to see if it helps. --- Steve

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/cd/order.mspx