Darksolace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
I am thinking of purchasing this mobo for my new gaming rig.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131073

Here is my problem.

I have this ram

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145034

On the ASUS website, it blatantly says that this ram is compatible.... there are even ppl that say they use this mobo and it runs fine... yet another person on the reviews for this board says that he cannot get this ram to work. I know that ppl are fallible and if most ppl are saying this ram is fine, then it probably is, but I had his ram and was trying to use it in a DG965WH Intel board and it ran for a week and then started randomly restarting. I checked Intel's website and it states that any ram of 2.1 volts is not compatible... so I ruled them out on that board. I checked the bios and the timings were not right, nor the voltages, so I changed the timings, and couldn't even get this thing to run, I got the 3-beep memory error. I know that this ram is notorious for being finicky on mobos as well as horrible as far as QA is concerned, so I RMAed the ram and my vid card ( I changed the video to PCI-E specifically from auto config and stopped getting video --- I am running an ASUS 8800 GTS) and am waiting for the new ones to arrive.

I spent $83 dollars shipping my vid card and ram back to get replacements, I WILL NOT DO THIS AGAIN.

So I want to see if anyone else is using this config and has it stable and if there are any hiccups in the set-up.. I have spent upwards of $2400 on this system and I JUST WANT IT TO WORK. I hate having the kind of expensive paperweight sitting on my floor and the sad reality of coming home to my GF's vastly inferior HP laptop to play my games.

Please send help so I can order this mobo or ANOTHER ONE YOU GUYS SUGGEST. You can see what my $ is ($260 or under).... Can't wait to hear back!!!

Darksolace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
These are the pieces I own:

Core 2 Duo E6300

Corsair XMS2 2 Gigabytes DDR2 800 6400 C4 (link above)

Asus 8800 GTS

Enermax Liberty 485w PSU (already was recommended this PSU by someone on here due to the 30a 12v rails)

Western Digital 40 gig HD 7200 (I know, I know), will be upgrading to something larger and 10k RPM after I get it running again)

Generic DVD-ROM

My question is this mobo going to work for this ram???

Pretty simple. I have heard contradictions saying that this ram does work or does not work with this motherboard.

Check the reviews of the mobo on NewEgg and check Asus's website... Asus says it works, ppl on the reviews say it doesn't.

If it doesn't work, make a suggestion on a board that will work with this ram.

Mondoman

Splendid
The Newegg reviews are surprisingly mixed for that MB. I would take them with a grain of salt, but it suggests that everything is not 100% smooth with that MB and perhaps you should consider another.
Another issue for you is that you shouldn't really be running both an IDE optical drive and an IDE hard drive on the same IDE controller port (same cable). If, as I suspect, both of your drives are IDE, I'd look for a motherboard with at least 2 IDE headers.
I'm not familiar with the Enermax Liberty 485w PS, and can't immediately find any specs for it. On the surface, it seems like it might be a bit underpowered for a system running the 8800GTS.

Darksolace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2007
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817194007

there's the link for my PSU, already had it verified by someone else, you can even check the NVIDIA website, it works for that vid card.

And for the cash, how the heck is this an iffy board???

I have seen TONS of ppl that use it.

Would someone that owns this board plz post? It is a pretty popular board.

Or if you have a better one or one that would work with this ram plz post... I'm surprised no one is posting.