Are DVI & HDMI necessary?

Last response: in Home Theatre
July 9, 2004 3:15:17 AM

Looking to buy the Panasonic @ wal-mart, but it don't have any of these.
Should I leave it alone???

Thanks in advance

More about : dvi hdmi

Anonymous
July 9, 2004 12:17:40 PM

Da Ghost wrote:
> Looking to buy the Panasonic @ wal-mart, but it don't have any of these.
> Should I leave it alone???
>
> Thanks in advance

If you're only planning on receiving HD from local channels via OTA,
then the Panasonic will be OK. If you're planning on getting HD from pay
channels via cable or satellite, then you may want to leave it alone -
sometime in the future, those channels may use a broadcast flag meant to
prevent the recording of HD. If you're watching a flagged broadcast via
component inputs on your TV, the signal may be down-rezzed to prevent
copying at HD levels.
Anonymous
July 9, 2004 12:46:47 PM

No offense, but why would you buy any electronics, especially HD at
wal-mart?

"Da Ghost" <cham2@cox.net> wrote in message
news:p ZoHc.11473$r3.4624@okepread03...
> Looking to buy the Panasonic @ wal-mart, but it don't have any of these.
> Should I leave it alone???
>
> Thanks in advance

July 9, 2004 2:09:42 PM

GGA wrote:
> No offense, but why would you buy any electronics, especially HD at
> wal-mart?
>
> "Da Ghost" <cham2@cox.net> wrote in message
> news:p ZoHc.11473$r3.4624@okepread03...
>> Looking to buy the Panasonic @ wal-mart, but it don't have any of
>> these. Should I leave it alone???
>>
>> Thanks in advance

Possibly because they have great buying power and low prices. Possibly
because the OP lives in a location that is serviced primarily by
Wal-mart.

If the OP knows what set he wants, and it's a good set, why do you care
where he buys it? Should he buy it from any number of unautorized
dealers on the internet that have no return policy and no warranty? Or
should be pay top dollar at a local AV shop?

--
David G.
July 9, 2004 2:29:47 PM

"Da Ghost" <cham2@cox.net> wrote in message
news:p ZoHc.11473$r3.4624@okepread03...
> Looking to buy the Panasonic @ wal-mart, but it don't have any of these.
> Should I leave it alone???
>
> Thanks in advance

Ask your cable provider or sat provider what there box provides out. If your
HD source has DVI then you might as well go for DVI since you havent made a
purchase yet. Otherwise, component still looks amazing and you'll get a
great picture anyway.

HDMI just combines video and audio into one cable. Unless your getting a
reciever with HDMI switching I think it's still useless.(who uses there TV
for audio??)
Anonymous
July 9, 2004 7:04:56 PM

"Jeff Shoaf" <jeffshoaf@alltel.net> wrote in message
> Da Ghost wrote:
> > Looking to buy the Panasonic @ wal-mart, but it don't have any of these.
> > Should I leave it alone???
> >
> > Thanks in advance
>
> If you're only planning on receiving HD from local channels via OTA,
> then the Panasonic will be OK. If you're planning on getting HD from pay
> channels via cable or satellite, then you may want to leave it alone -
> sometime in the future, those channels may use a broadcast flag meant to
> prevent the recording of HD. If you're watching a flagged broadcast via
> component inputs on your TV, the signal may be down-rezzed to prevent
> copying at HD levels.

"....prevent the recording of HD" That's interesting. Do you have any
sources? I have a Zenith HDR-230, a PVR that records hi-def ... such a
"broadcast flag" would upset me since I spent over $700 on a STB just to
record such programming....

TIA
FIF
Anonymous
July 9, 2004 7:04:57 PM

FranticInFresno wrote:

> "Jeff Shoaf" <jeffshoaf@alltel.net> wrote in message
>
>>Da Ghost wrote:

> "....prevent the recording of HD" That's interesting. Do you have any
> sources? I have a Zenith HDR-230, a PVR that records hi-def ... such a
> "broadcast flag" would upset me since I spent over $700 on a STB just to
> record such programming....
>
> TIA
> FIF

I mis-spoke a bit. It doesn't prevent recording, it prevents copying. If
you have a connection between your recording device and your display
device that passes the flag, you'll be able to watch your HD recording.
Unfortunately, component connections are analog and do not have the
capability of passing the flag. DVI, HDMI, and Firewire connections do
all have the capability of passing the flag.

There's tons of info on the broadcast flag - here's a Google search that
brings up quite a bit of stuff:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=hd+%22bro...

I'm sorta in the same boat - I have a DirecTV HD Tivo, which does have
HDMI, but my early 65" Mits HD monitor doesn't have HDMI. If I record
anything with the flag set, I'll only be able to it via composite or
s-vhs at approx. DVD quality.
Anonymous
July 9, 2004 8:24:58 PM

"FranticInFresno" <MostWanted@NOSPAMHotmail.com> wrote in message

> > If you're only planning on receiving HD from local channels via OTA,
> > then the Panasonic will be OK. If you're planning on getting HD from pay
> > channels via cable or satellite, then you may want to leave it alone -
> > sometime in the future, those channels may use a broadcast flag meant to
> > prevent the recording of HD. If you're watching a flagged broadcast via
> > component inputs on your TV, the signal may be down-rezzed to prevent
> > copying at HD levels.
> >

> "....prevent the recording of HD" That's interesting. Do you have any
> sources? I have a Zenith HDR-230, a PVR that records hi-def ... such a
> "broadcast flag" would upset me since I spent over $700 on a STB just to
> record such programming....
>
> TIA
> FIF

Over-the-air broadcast should not have the "broadcast flag" to prevent
recording of premium programming. It would be on cable or satellite which
the your Zenith cannot receive.
Anonymous
July 9, 2004 9:59:46 PM

Da Ghost wrote:

> Looking to buy the Panasonic @ wal-mart, but it don't have any of these.
> Should I leave it alone???
>
> Thanks in advance

Essentially DVI or HDMI gives the HDTV set a 2nd or 3rd HD

input port.

I do my Digital Video switching thru a Sony 34HS510 HDTV...

I do my Dolby Digital audio 6.1 switching thru an Onkyo AV-SR-501.
Anonymous
July 10, 2004 2:30:36 AM

"John Smith" <no_one@nowhere.net> wrote in message

> "FranticInFresno" <MostWanted@NOSPAMHotmail.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > If you're only planning on receiving HD from local channels via OTA,
> > > then the Panasonic will be OK. If you're planning on getting HD from
pay
> > > channels via cable or satellite, then you may want to leave it alone -
> > > sometime in the future, those channels may use a broadcast flag meant
> > > prevent the recording of HD. If you're watching a flagged broadcast
via
> > > component inputs on your TV, the signal may be down-rezzed to prevent
> > > copying at HD levels.
> > >

> > "....prevent the recording of HD" That's interesting. Do you have any
> > sources? I have a Zenith HDR-230, a PVR that records hi-def ... such a
> > "broadcast flag" would upset me since I spent over $700 on a STB just to
> > record such programming....
> >
> > TIA
> > FIF
> >
> Over-the-air broadcast should not have the "broadcast flag" to prevent
> recording of premium programming. It would be on cable or satellite which
> the your Zenith cannot receive.

OTA will have it, and it's been tried in some markets already. OTA, cable,
satellite and your internet connection will all support it in some form by
sometime next year.
!