Sign in with
Your question

Couple of MoBo questions

Last response: in Overclocking
February 10, 2007 4:53:08 AM

Trying to get back up-to-date regarding PC hardware and I just had a few quick questions that I could use some feedback on.

#1) Back when I was working at PC shops doing repairs, upgrades, etc. (about 2 years ago) it was generally accepted that ECS MoBo's were extremely cheap. Not so much in terms of price (although they were and still are less expensive than others) but more in terms of quality. By this I mean that they were crap. Is this still true? I'm seeing more and more references to people buying ECS MoBo's and I'm wondering if they did a 180 at some point and started making decent boards.

#2) Regarding a particular ECS board.
This board:
ECS KA3 MVP (V1.0A) Socket AM2 AMD 580X Crossfire ATX
is listed on newegg for $115 after MIR
In the specs it says Maximum Memory Supported is 32GB. Is this right? I know that 4GB and 8GB is now the norm in terms of max memory...but 32GB??? Am I missing something?

#3) Are DFI boards considered decent boards anymore? I remember them being pretty good boards way back when.

#4) Next question...I see that XFX has made a MoBo for AM2. I know XFX video cards are supposed to be pretty good what with their higher than normal core and memory speeds that they use...but does their reputation carry over to motherboards as well?
I saw this board:
XFX MB-N590ASH9 Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX

And I see BFG has an AM2 MoBo as well...but it looks identical to XFX's. Did they collaborate on this or something? I've never seen two boards look identical from 2 different companies...even if they use the same chipset.

#5) Did nVidia not make an nForce 6 series for AMD? I'm only seeing them for Intel at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

More about : couple mobo questions

a b V Motherboard
February 10, 2007 5:31:27 AM

ECS = crap.
February 12, 2007 12:32:49 AM

I agree, ECS = CRAP

XFX does not make video cards, they just spec minor things like chips or heatsink options. It has nothing to do with a motherboard they'd sell. Expect such a board to have poor support as that is historically the case, such limited ventures tend to have a few flaws till they get more experience behind them, and good debugging methodology.

I wouldn't use such a board, life's too short to fool around with a board to save a couple bucks when a problem can easily cost you hours and hours or outright failure at the intended use (even if board kinda works in general still). Stick with the major brands, they became major for their success at what they do.
Related resources
February 12, 2007 2:29:26 AM

Quote:
ECS = crap.

Ok...it's good to see that some things do stay the same. I was truly confused for a moment, wondering if ECS was now a reputable company. My experience with them was always painful...and...well just painful.
February 12, 2007 10:26:55 PM

Never underestimate someone's ability to put on blinders to the world if they think they might save a buck.

The typical thinking goes something like this:

"They wouldn't sell it if it didn't work."

Their definition of "work" has to be a loose one, there are far too many variables involved in setting up a system. A very basic, low stressed build with an ECS board might do fine, but even that isn't guaranteed, ECS has done some pretty crap products like the first generation of the K7S5A board whose main desirable feature was it had PC133 memory slots in addition to DDR, but it couldn't even run with memory in both PC133 slots without probability of errors, nevermind that after a couple years all the capacitors started popping.

There are too many minor issues to begin to recall at once, but my main gripes about ECS are buggy bios & insufficient bios updates, poor quality capacitors and onboard voltage regulation circuitry, stingy supply of capacitors in general, omission of pretty basic things (often, not "always") like fuses on the USB/PS2 ports, low quality cosmetic heatsinks stuck on with double-sided tape (not even proper thermal tape).

If I were building a system for myself then layout and feature sets, bios options, etc would be issues too but I was just considering things that would potentially impact even building a vanilla clone box.
!