Why Read Only folder on Server 2003?

G'Day All,
Whenever I create a new folder on Win2003 server the folder is Read Only and
I cannot seem to change it permanently.
Help.

How to do.

Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about read folder server 2003

    Hi,

    You Cannot View or Change the Read-Only or System Attribute of Folders
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326549&Product=winsvr2003

    Unlike the Read-only attribute for a file, the Read-only attribute for a
    folder is typically ignored by Windows, Windows components and accessories,
    and other programs. For example, you can delete, rename, and change a folder
    with the Read-only attribute by using Windows Explorer. The Read-only and
    System attributes is only used by Windows Explorer to determine whether the
    folder is a special folder, such as a system folder that has its view
    customized by Windows (for example, My Documents, Favorites, Fonts,
    Downloaded Program Files), or a folder that you customized by using the
    Customize tab of the folder's Properties dialog box. As a result, Windows
    Explorer does not allow you to view or change the Read-only or System
    attributes of folders.

    I hope this helps,

    Mike

    "ferg" <ferguson@eastsidemiami.com> wrote in message
    > G'Day All,
    > Whenever I create a new folder on Win2003 server the folder is Read Only
    and
    > I cannot seem to change it permanently.
    > Help.
    >
    > How to do.
    >
    > Thanks

    thanks

    "Miha Pihler" <miha-news@atlantis.si> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > You Cannot View or Change the Read-Only or System Attribute of Folders

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326549&Product=winsvr2003

    > Unlike the Read-only attribute for a file, the Read-only attribute for a
    > folder is typically ignored by Windows, Windows components and
    accessories,
    > and other programs. For example, you can delete, rename, and change a
    folder
    > with the Read-only attribute by using Windows Explorer. The Read-only and
    > System attributes is only used by Windows Explorer to determine whether
    the
    > folder is a special folder, such as a system folder that has its view
    > customized by Windows (for example, My Documents, Favorites, Fonts,
    > Downloaded Program Files), or a folder that you customized by using the
    > Customize tab of the folder's Properties dialog box. As a result, Windows
    > Explorer does not allow you to view or change the Read-only or System
    > attributes of folders.
    >
    > I hope this helps,
    >
    > Mike
    >
    > "ferg" <ferguson@eastsidemiami.com> wrote in message
    > > G'Day All,
    > > Whenever I create a new folder on Win2003 server the folder is Read Only
    > and
    > > I cannot seem to change it permanently.
    > > Help.
    > >
    > > How to do.
    > >
    > > Thanks

    You are welcome :-)

    > thanks
    >

    > "Miha Pihler" <miha-news@atlantis.si> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > You Cannot View or Change the Read-Only or System Attribute of Folders

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326549&Product=winsvr2003

    > > Unlike the Read-only attribute for a file, the Read-only attribute for a
    > > folder is typically ignored by Windows, Windows components and
    > accessories,
    > > and other programs. For example, you can delete, rename, and change a
    > folder
    > > with the Read-only attribute by using Windows Explorer. The Read-only
    and
    > > System attributes is only used by Windows Explorer to determine whether
    > the
    > > folder is a special folder, such as a system folder that has its view
    > > customized by Windows (for example, My Documents, Favorites, Fonts,
    > > Downloaded Program Files), or a folder that you customized by using the
    > > Customize tab of the folder's Properties dialog box. As a result,
    Windows
    > > Explorer does not allow you to view or change the Read-only or System
    > > attributes of folders.
    > >
    > > I hope this helps,
    > >
    > > Mike
    > >
    > > "ferg" <ferguson@eastsidemiami.com> wrote in message
    > > > G'Day All,
    > > > Whenever I create a new folder on Win2003 server the folder is Read
    Only
    > > and
    > > > I cannot seem to change it permanently.
    > > > Help.
    > > >
    > > > How to do.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks

Security Read Only Microsoft Servers Windows