OTA HDTV Reception

Last response: in Home Theatre
July 9, 2004 7:18:24 PM

I posted a message a while back about having reception problems for DTV. I
last thing I tried was placing a grounding block between the tuner and coax
lead. The ground wire was run from the block to the ground lug on the wall
receptacle. This seems to have solved the problem. The symptoms were
having an intermitent signal. I guess ther was a ground loop problem and
the grounding block eliminated it.

Thanks to all who posted suggestions to my previous post.

Barry

More about : ota hdtv reception

Anonymous
July 9, 2004 8:52:45 PM

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 15:18:24 -0400, "Barry Test" <abc@abc.com> wrote:

>I posted a message a while back about having reception problems for DTV. I
>last thing I tried was placing a grounding block between the tuner and coax
>lead. The ground wire was run from the block to the ground lug on the wall
>receptacle. This seems to have solved the problem. The symptoms were
>having an intermitent signal. I guess ther was a ground loop problem and
>the grounding block eliminated it.

Hmm.. Last time I had a grounding issue, I also had Cable TV for
locals.

Enough A/C current was coming down the Cable feed to create a hum
bar problem. I have since disconnected all cable service and use OTA
(H)DTV as it's replacement, thus eliminating the hum bar problems.

NEC requires the COAX grounding block to remain outside the house.
Generally, the ground block is placed where the coax enters the house.
(point of entrance) In my case it's adjacent to the grounding block
for sat coax feeds.

From their the #10 ground wire runs down the antenna mast to base of
the antenna mast and it's grounding point. The ground wire then runs
underground to the service entrance ground rods. ~15ft.

Note: Generally the ground wire should not be hidden in a concealed
space adjacent to flammable materials.

http://www.ecmweb.com/nec/electric_tune_requirements_ar...
http://www.mikeholt.com/mojonewsarchive/GB-HTML/HTML/Gr...
Anonymous
July 10, 2004 1:40:37 AM

"Barry Test" <abc@abc.com> wrote in

> I posted a message a while back about having reception problems for
> DTV. I last thing I tried was placing a grounding block between the
> tuner and coax lead. The ground wire was run from the block to the
> ground lug on the wall receptacle. This seems to have solved the
> problem. The symptoms were having an intermitent signal. I guess
> ther was a ground loop problem and the grounding block eliminated it.

Or could be just a little noise pickup by the cable shield that was making
it into the receiver which, when grounded went the other way into the
ground connection. Never hurts to try these things.

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667

July 10, 2004 2:14:49 AM

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 16:52:45 -0400, Tim Keating
<NotForJunkEmail@directinternet11.com1> wrote:

> NEC requires the COAX grounding block to remain outside the house.
>Generally, the ground block is placed where the coax enters the house.
>(point of entrance)

That would seem to be at odds with NEC 2002 810.20(B): "Antenna
discharge units shall be located outside the building or inside the
building between the point of entrance of the lead-in and the radio
set or transformers and as near as practical to the entrance of the
conductors to the building."
July 10, 2004 4:09:09 AM

"Tim Keating" <NotForJunkEmail@directinternet11.com1> wrote in message
> NEC requires the COAX grounding block to remain outside the house.

The requirement is to be near the point of entry. Inside or outside is not
specified. The grounding conductor may be run inside or outside. That is
specified.

Pat
July 10, 2004 4:13:03 AM

"Clyde Coffey" <clyde@augustmail.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 16:52:45 -0400, Tim Keating
> <NotForJunkEmail@directinternet11.com1> wrote:
>
> > NEC requires the COAX grounding block to remain outside the house.
> >Generally, the ground block is placed where the coax enters the house.
> >(point of entrance)
>
> That would seem to be at odds with NEC 2002 810.20(B): "Antenna
> discharge units shall be located outside the building or inside the
> building between the point of entrance of the lead-in and the radio
> set or transformers and as near as practical to the entrance of the
> conductors to the building."

Thanks for the update. I only had an older version which only specified near
the entrance point. There was no mention of inside or outside.

Pat
!