cowcrusher

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Ok i have a maxtor 100 gb hd, msi p965 platinum mobo, e6400 cpu, 7600gt, 1 gig of crosair xms2 ddr2 800, sony dru-530a drive and a 600 watt thermaltake power supply. But my computer seems to be runnig slow at certain times. Times such as loading a new task, mostly loading instalations but loading a new task sometimes makes my hd click and my computer freeze. My cpu is running at 37 deg c and my gpu is running at its normal temp. I ran memtest to see if it was memory and it passed with flying colors, also i installed all new drivers for all of my hardware. I've also checked to see if the power supply is giving the right amt of power and it is. Also when it lags the cpu load shoots to 100 after it comes out of a frozen state for about 5 seconds and ive also noticed the ram is usually running at 32 percent on idle. Sorry if my explanations are bad but i'm very tired because i've been working on this for a day straight w/ no sleep whatesoever

deusex

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Try Reinstalling Windows whenever it seems like your hardware is taking a major hit, who knows, that Gates name is 666 in binary...

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Maybe you should load a program like wireshark and find out what your PC is really doing....

Or perhaps just load up some good AV, spycleaners, et al?

cowcrusher

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
damn dude i dont like clicky hd >_> lol, if i reinstall windows on another hd wont i need a new key? also ive reinstalled windows on this hd b4 because i thought it might of been a code error as well and i have anti-virus, spyware,adware,and firewall programs

monkeymanuk

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
You just need to use your original key!

It shoulkd activate over the internet, otherwise just follow the instructions to call microsoft and cativate it by phone. It's all automated, you punch in numbers they read back response.

Good luck 8)

cowcrusher

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
it seems as if the computer lags even when i just put a disk in the computer, would that still be a hd error because like windows has to run load the disk off the dying hd?

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Speedfan has a S.M.A.R.T monitor option. It'll let you know how your hard drive is performing. If your hard drive is failing, reloading windows will just be a frustrating exercise.

Mobius

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2002
Try Reinstalling Windows whenever it seems like your hardware is taking a major hit, who knows, that Gates name is 666 in binary...

That is the most unhelpful, sack of shit, answer ever!

How about trying Task Manager, and viewing WHAT FUCKING PROCESS CONSUMES 100% OF THE CPU WHEN THESE LOCK UPS OCCUR.

Jesus Christ on a pony. Sometimes it hurts to come in here and watch the stupid try to lead the blind.

cowcrusher

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006

That is the most unhelpful, sack of ****, answer ever!

How about trying Task Manager, and viewing WHAT ****** PROCESS CONSUMES 100% OF THE CPU WHEN THESE LOCK UPS OCCUR.

Jesus Christ on a pony. Sometimes it hurts to come in here and watch the stupid try to lead the blind.

um ive tried, it doesnt show anything that would do it to my cpu, my cpu just jumps to 100 percent whenever it locks up, im having a feeling it might just be hard drive because i uninstalled itunes which is one of the programs that froze my computer for about 3 seconds and i reinstalled it on an old 80 gig hd, now when i load it up there is no lag whatsoever, it does show my cpu usage go up to like 78 percent when i turn on the program but it doesnt lag my computer at all

Mondoman

Splendid
Are your hard drive and optical drive both IDE drives, and both on the same controller cable? If so, make sure the hard drive is on the connector on the end of the cable, and the optical drive on the middle connector. If there are still problems, try temporarily disconnecting the optical drive to see if this could be the issue.
Also, every hard drive manufacturer has free diagnostic software available at their website. Download the software from your manufacturer's website and run at least the basic/standard testing on it.

cowcrusher

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
my main is an sata my old 1 that works perfect is an ide

edit: right now im installing powermax for my maxtor drive to diagnose any problems

GSTe

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
Don't know if its possible to get a copy now or perhaps this may be useful in future but.....

I would get a copy of a program called 'spinrite'.... you can buy it on the net, or, erm.... cough.... download it with a torrent client. It comes in the form of a bootable cd and will thoroughly analyse your HDD and tell you of various kinds of errors. Now I have discovered this program I find it indispensible.

Not familiar with 'powermax', but if its a similar thing I apologise. Good luck whatever.

deusex

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I'm sorry, but I was up late when I answered some of these, and troubleshooting late is never a good thing.

Being caustic doesn't help too, Mobius - A chiding would be enough:X
However, it does seem like you are "Very Down To Earth" in your postsXD

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
I'm sorry, but I was up late when I answered some of these, and troubleshooting late is never a good thing.

dont pay any attention to mobius,
he is an a$$.

I had a WD 80 Gig IDE drive that did the same thing. I replaced my motherboard (prior to the probem), and did a Windows re-install. Right afterwards I began to get the click (very occasionally) especially when launching a new app, when it clicked, the whole system would pause. Then the app would launch without any further difficulties. I was worried that the new motherboard had a flaky controller, since the HDD had worked fine up until I changed motherboards. I ran a WD utility that read the SMART info, everything looked fine. I sent an e-mail to WD regarding the problem and they promptly gave me an RMA # (drive was still under warranty). In the mean time, I purchase a 160 Gig drive (WD again) and the problem disappeared. The only conclusion that made sense was the drive was older and worn, and the strain of deleting the old partition, remaking the partition and re-formatting and installing pushed it over the edge. So if you are getting click from you drive, regardless of what SMART says, I would look into replacing that HDD (RMA if you can, though going by the size of it I would guess that it is older than the rest of your system). My failing HDD never caused any stability issues however, but had I waited longer, it may have.

martyjs

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
Make sure you use the bootable CD version of Powermax as the Windows version doesn't always detect hardware drive problems. :)

Assman

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2005

dont pay any attention to mobius,
he is an a$$.

lets call him something else, or you're gonna give me a bad name :D

hey buddy long time no talk

RJ

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
What Mobius is saying is go to the Processes tab in Task Manager and see what process is at 100% during the lockup.

i did, nothing shows as a sourceAfter opening the processes tab, click the CPU header. that will bring up the processes using your CPU the most. Not hitting CPU header, will just show you alphabetic order. Something other than system idle process is loading up your CPU for you to have such issues.

You could also try www.PCPitstop.com , run full test, and see if it sheds light as to what the problem could be.

cowcrusher

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
ok i'll buy a new hd, but i still don't understand why the cpu readings skyrocket if the hd is having problems, also the hd doesn't click everytime it freezes only about once out of like 20 times