Category: Account Logon
Authentication Ticket Request Failed:
User Name: smithly
Supplied Realm Name: HELLER.COM
Service Name: krbtgt/HELLER.COM
Ticket Options: 0x40810010
Failure Code: 0x12
Client Address: 10.10.100.100

according to the info I found on this failure code (12), this event is
because of a time of day or workstation restriction. This would seem to make
sense because the client address listed is a server that this user would not
have the log on locally user right assigned for.

Is this correct, this is telling me that smithly has attemped to logon to
10.10.100.100?

That would seem to be the case. Failure code 0x12 can be a variety of reasons but not
having the user right for access could certainly be one. Below is a list of items I
found on a MS doc. --- Steve

0x12 - KDC_ERR_CLIENT_REVOKED: Clients credentials have been revoked
Associated internal Windows error codes
. STATUS_ACCOUNT_DISABLED

. STATUS_ACCOUNT_EXPIRED

. STATUS_ACCOUNT_LOCKED_OUT

. STATUS_ACCOUNT_DISABLED

. STATUS_INVALID_LOGON_HOURS

. STATUS_LOGIN_TIME_RESTRICTION

. STATUS_LOGIN_WKSTA_RESTRICTION

. STATUS_ACCOUNT_RESTRICTION

"djc" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Source: Security
> Category: Account Logon
> Authentication Ticket Request Failed:
> User Name: smithly
> Supplied Realm Name: HELLER.COM
> Service Name: krbtgt/HELLER.COM
> Ticket Options: 0x40810010
> Failure Code: 0x12
> Client Address: 10.10.100.100
>
> according to the info I found on this failure code (12), this event is
> because of a time of day or workstation restriction. This would seem to make
> sense because the client address listed is a server that this user would not
> have the log on locally user right assigned for.
>
> Is this correct, this is telling me that smithly has attemped to logon to
> 10.10.100.100?

djc

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2004

thanks for the reply. I think where I am confused is the client address.. I
am expecting it to be 'from where' the logon was attempted... like the
user's workstation name... but that address is a domain controller? actually
I just double-checked and some of these events are from domain controller
addresses and some are from client workstations? I am confused. I know the
users don't have physical access to the servers so thats out. I suppose
terminal services logon attempts could generate this? I'm just not sure how
to interprets these security auditing events.

> That would seem to be the case. Failure code 0x12 can be a variety of
reasons but not
> having the user right for access could certainly be one. Below is a list
of items I
> found on a MS doc. --- Steve
>
> 0x12 - KDC_ERR_CLIENT_REVOKED: Clients credentials have been revoked
> Associated internal Windows error codes
> . STATUS_ACCOUNT_DISABLED
>
> . STATUS_ACCOUNT_EXPIRED
>
> . STATUS_ACCOUNT_LOCKED_OUT
>
> . STATUS_ACCOUNT_DISABLED
>
> . STATUS_INVALID_LOGON_HOURS
>
> . STATUS_LOGIN_TIME_RESTRICTION
>
> . STATUS_LOGIN_WKSTA_RESTRICTION
>
> . STATUS_ACCOUNT_RESTRICTION
>

> "djc" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > Source: Security
> > Category: Account Logon
> > Authentication Ticket Request Failed:
> > User Name: smithly
> > Supplied Realm Name: HELLER.COM
> > Service Name: krbtgt/HELLER.COM
> > Ticket Options: 0x40810010
> > Failure Code: 0x12
> > Client Address: 10.10.100.100
> >
> > according to the info I found on this failure code (12), this event is
> > because of a time of day or workstation restriction. This would seem to
make
> > sense because the client address listed is a server that this user would
not
> > have the log on locally user right assigned for.
> >
> > Is this correct, this is telling me that smithly has attemped to logon
> > 10.10.100.100?

If you enable logon events for failure on your Domain Controller Security Policy it
may give you more useable information including logon type. Logon type 2 would be
console or TS while logon 3 would be network attempt to access a share. --- Steve

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/datacenter/proddocs/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/windowsserv/2003/datacenter/proddocs/en-us/518.asp
-- almost all applies to W2K also.

> thanks for the reply. I think where I am confused is the client address.. I
> am expecting it to be 'from where' the logon was attempted... like the
> user's workstation name... but that address is a domain controller? actually
> I just double-checked and some of these events are from domain controller
> addresses and some are from client workstations? I am confused. I know the
> users don't have physical access to the servers so thats out. I suppose
> terminal services logon attempts could generate this? I'm just not sure how
> to interprets these security auditing events.
>
> "Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net> wrote in message
> > That would seem to be the case. Failure code 0x12 can be a variety of
> reasons but not
> > having the user right for access could certainly be one. Below is a list
> of items I
> > found on a MS doc. --- Steve
> >
> > 0x12 - KDC_ERR_CLIENT_REVOKED: Clients credentials have been revoked
> > Associated internal Windows error codes
> > . STATUS_ACCOUNT_DISABLED
> >
> > . STATUS_ACCOUNT_EXPIRED
> >
> > . STATUS_ACCOUNT_LOCKED_OUT
> >
> > . STATUS_ACCOUNT_DISABLED
> >
> > . STATUS_INVALID_LOGON_HOURS
> >
> > . STATUS_LOGIN_TIME_RESTRICTION
> >
> > . STATUS_LOGIN_WKSTA_RESTRICTION
> >
> > . STATUS_ACCOUNT_RESTRICTION
> >

> > "djc" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > > Source: Security
> > > Category: Account Logon
> > > Authentication Ticket Request Failed:
> > > User Name: smithly
> > > Supplied Realm Name: HELLER.COM
> > > Service Name: krbtgt/HELLER.COM
> > > Ticket Options: 0x40810010
> > > Failure Code: 0x12
> > > Client Address: 10.10.100.100
> > >
> > > according to the info I found on this failure code (12), this event is
> > > because of a time of day or workstation restriction. This would seem to
> make
> > > sense because the client address listed is a server that this user would
> not
> > > have the log on locally user right assigned for.
> > >
> > > Is this correct, this is telling me that smithly has attemped to logon
> > > 10.10.100.100?

Check out the DC that is listed, you should then find the corresponding
event there with the workstation IP address listed. I have also would that
Kerberos ticket error 12 can be caused by users being in too many groups. We
found this problem when trying to access EMC NAS devices.