Sign in with
Your question

Does anyone know how to rewire a tiny Power LED connector?

Last response: in Components
February 10, 2007 7:39:29 AM

My brand new Antec P160 case came with a female two pin "PW LED" connector, with one red wire (positive) and one white wire (ground). But my Asus P5N-E SLI motherboard has a three pin male "PLED" header, with the middle pin purposely missing.

Can I buy a plastic three pin female connector at an electronics store (Radio Shack?) and wire the two existing wires into its outside holes?

Stripping the wires is easy. But how do I attach or solder the existing
wires into those tiny little holes?

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, in advance,

Joel
February 12, 2007 7:46:32 AM

Quote:
Well if you can find a 3 pin male connector you should be able to remove the wire, metal conection and all from the plastic and incert it directly into the new conector with no soldering, cutting or stripping required. But you have to find the connector first.

Otherwise just remove cut teh plastic part away and incert the wires in the corect pins.

Well, you're absolutely right! I went to a web site that sells the plastic connectors, and they had pictures of how to remove the metal female sleeves from the plastic housing. All you need is a sharp knife to
release the small plastic tab that holds the metal female connector in the plastic.

The company is sending me a three pin housing for 40 cents, with no shipping. So I'll just reinsert the two female contacts into the outside ends of the new plastic housing.

While we're on the subject of cables and connectors, do you know if anyone makes an extension for a AC '97 front panel audio connector cable? My mike and headset inputs are at the very top of my case, and the header for their cable is all the way at the bottom.
The cable can be attached to the header. But if I leave it where it is, I won't be able to use I PCI slot. :( 

Thanks a bunch.

Joel
February 12, 2007 7:10:24 PM

Quote:
I don't know about any exstentions for that. If it where me i'd cut the connector off about an inch or 2 up. Then it's a matter of adding more wire and soldering everything back together.

The existing cable is based on a USB cable, with a 2X5 female connector at the end. If I can get the pin out and wire color diagram of the existing cable from Antec, maybe I wire one up myself!

Thanks for your PSU work. It's very valuable.

Joel
February 13, 2007 12:39:29 AM

Quote:
I don't know about any exstentions for that. If it where me i'd cut the connector off about an inch or 2 up. Then it's a matter of adding more wire and soldering everything back together.

Well, I finally found the extension. http://www.frontx.com/store/order_ab.html The only problem is that it's 2 feet long.

I've asked Frontx to shorten it to 6". I wonder how much they'll charge me?

Thanks, again, for your help!
!