unable to access windwos 2000 server from windows 98 pc

Hi,

I have a hardened windows 2000 server in my firm.As per
the password policy I had set the minimum password length
required as 8 char.After that I was unable to access the
server from windows 98 pc's.It asks for the password but
says Password incorrect try again and the account gets
locked out.When I chahed the password to the earlier 3
char one , it started working.pls help.As per the password
policy I need to keep 8 char for password length.

Try installing the Active Directory Client Extensions for Windows '98. The
issue you are having may not be linked directly to the password length, but
to another setting (most likely SMB signing) that was configured during the
hardening process.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/server/evaluation/news/bulletins/adextension.asp

--
******************************
Laura E. Hunter - MCSE, MCT, MVP

"Tine mathew" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a hardened windows 2000 server in my firm.As per
> the password policy I had set the minimum password length
> required as 8 char.After that I was unable to access the
> server from windows 98 pc's.It asks for the password but
> says Password incorrect try again and the account gets
> locked out.When I chahed the password to the earlier 3
> char one , it started working.pls help.As per the password
> policy I need to keep 8 char for password length.

Did you perhaps enable password complexity at the same time?? If so the password
needs to contain three out of the following four - uppercase, lowercase , numeric,
special character [!$%#]. Try the password AABBcc22 to see if it works. --- Steve