need help transferring files to another computer, win xp

danc2heaven

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
Hello I am so confused how to do this I hope someone can take me through step by step.

I have two notebook computers that both connect to the same wireless modem/router. I am trying to take some files from notebook A and trying to transfer them to notebook B through the wireless connection, both computers are using win xp.

I will really appreciate the help,

You need to establish a workgroup with the same name for both computers. Go to control panel->System->Network identification->Network id.
You need to right click the drives in My Computer and select sharing. Give the drives a letter for the network. Then go to the other computer and map the drive to the "Computer name\Shared drive letter". Alternately you can navigate to the drive.
Now the drives are visible on the network. Make sure your user has permission to read/write on the drive.

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
First step is to run the network setup wizard on both machines and have them both on the same workgroup. I'd recommend you change the workgroup to something other than the Microsoft default of MSHOME. Just be sure both computers are on the same workgroup.

Then, set up sharing. This can be done on either a drive level (share the entire drive) or on a folder level. I recommend folder level. Right click on the folder you want to share and select "sharing" from the menu. Follow the instructions.

danc2heaven

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
Last time I tried I was looking at the network wizards ,xp had a wireles wizard I believe and also a regular network wizard, I'm guessing to use the wireless wizard? Also I have a motorola sbg1000 which is a cable modem with a built in router unit. I connect both of the labtops wireless to this. Do I run the wizard on both computers ? I'm guessing I will have to have firewalls down on both computers and in the modem? What about the WEP do I have to disable that.

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Last time I tried I was looking at the network wizards ,xp had a wireles wizard I believe and also a regular network wizard, I'm guessing to use the wireless wizard?
Yes, use that one.
Also I have a motorola sbg1000 which is a cable modem with a built in router unit. I connect both of the labtops wireless to this. Do I run the wizard on both computers ?
Yes, you run it on both computers.
I'm guessing I will have to have firewalls down on both computers and in the modem? What about the WEP do I have to disable that.
You will want to disable the firewall in your computers until this setup is complete, but not in the router. You also do not need to disable the WEP, but you will need to know the key when you set up each of your computers.