Converting to NTFS Question

My XP Pro is formatted in NTFS. I have a 2nd hard drive still in Fat32. Can
I convert this drive without losing the data on it? If so, how?

Thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about converting ntfs question

    "Patch" <bob_acord@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > My XP Pro is formatted in NTFS. I have a 2nd hard drive still in Fat32.
    Can
    > I convert this drive without losing the data on it? If so, how?
    >
    > Thanks

    See the following article:

    Converting FAT32 to NTFS in Windows XP
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/ntfscvt.htm

    --
    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

    Go to Start>Run and in the Open box type:
    convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs

    If your second drive is E: the line would be
    convert e: /fs:ntfs

    don't forget the space before and after e:

    If any files on the second drive are in use by a process, then you will get
    a warning message that will ask you if you want to dismount the drive.
    Answer Y. If that is unsuccessful the utility will ask if you want the
    conversion to happen on the next reboot. Answer Y. The conversion will
    then be scheduled for whenever you choose to reboot.

    "Patch" <bob_acord@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > My XP Pro is formatted in NTFS. I have a 2nd hard drive still in Fat32.
    > Can I convert this drive without losing the data on it? If so, how?
    >
    > Thanks

    to answer your first question, no you won't loose your files if you use the
    process mentioned by the guys above. I did the same with mine and it worked.
    :)
    ml,
    andras

    In news:eXU5YvQHFHA.2704@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Patch <bob_acord@hotmail.com> typed:

    > My XP Pro is formatted in NTFS. I have a 2nd hard drive still
    > in
    > Fat32. Can I convert this drive without losing the data on it?
    > If so,
    > how?

    To convert to NTFS, you use the CONVERT command. But first read
    http://www.aumha.org/a/ntfscvt.htm because there's an issue
    regarding cluster size that isn't obvious.

    With regard to losing data, by definition, "convert" means that
    all data, programs, etc. are kept intact. However there are no
    guarantees that it always works perfectly. However unlikely, it's
    always possible that something might go wrong. For that reason
    it's prudent to be sure you have a backup of anything you can't
    afford to lose before beginning.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    "Patch" <bob_acord@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > My XP Pro is formatted in NTFS. I have a 2nd hard drive still in Fat32.
    Can
    > I convert this drive without losing the data on it? If so, how?
    >
    > Thanks

    the advice you got here is all good...
    just wanted to add that you should have your machine on a UPS...
    a power failure during the conversion could be a disaster

    Patch wrote:
    > My XP Pro is formatted in NTFS. I have a 2nd hard drive still in
    > Fat32. Can I convert this drive without losing the data on it? If so,
    > how?

    Open a command prompt (Start -> Run -> type 'cmd' and hit enter). Now type
    'convert D: /fs:ntfs' if D: is your second drive.

NTFS Microsoft Windows XP