New build, would like SSD, HDD software set up advice

garyhope

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
OK, I've got my new parts, I'm ready to build, even put on my own thermal compound (a bit nervous about that) but the software installation and transfers is the part that makes me insecure or nervous.

Das parts:
ASRock Z68 PRO3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68
Intel Core i5-2500K
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB
Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB
ASUS 24X DVD Burner
Windows 7 HP 64 bit
My old Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB which I'd like to maybe use as a back up drive.

I'm also keeping my old PNY Quadro NVS 440 graphics card which I run 4 monitors for financial trading from.
And my old case and power supply.

My question is how to install the SSD and HDD's and install the programs on the SSD and the data and less important, less used programs and data on the new WD Black HDD.

I assume I'll install the OS first on the SSD, then my financial trading programs which I think only use less than 250 megabytes of space, my ESET NOD32 anti-virus software, Firefox 5 browser, my Nvidia graphics card software (120 MB).

Then what? How do I set up (or find the info on how to set up) the other HDD's and transfer all the data and jpegs, etc to the new HDD? Do it manually or use something like LapLink? Is LapLink, etc. worth it?

I'm not sure I'm even asking the right questions here. Advice, instructions, info sources, where to get a clue all appreciated.

Thank you. Thank you vurry much.

Solution
Read here http://www.tweakhound.com/windows7/install7.html

How To Move Windows 7 Libraries

Decide where you want to move these to.
A second disk is your best option but in a single disk system a second partition will do.
Right-click on your User Name in the Start Menu and choose Open.
Select the libraries you wish to move and copy / paste them to the new location.
Pick the stuff you wish to be safe from any problems.
I would do at least: Contacts, Downloads, My Documents, My Music, My Pictures, My Videos.

Once you have finished copying the files. Go back to the original Library, right-click on each folder you moved.
Choose Properties from the menu. In the resulting window, click on the Location tab, and then the Move... button...
Read here http://www.tweakhound.com/windows7/install7.html

How To Move Windows 7 Libraries

Decide where you want to move these to.
A second disk is your best option but in a single disk system a second partition will do.
Right-click on your User Name in the Start Menu and choose Open.
Select the libraries you wish to move and copy / paste them to the new location.
Pick the stuff you wish to be safe from any problems.
I would do at least: Contacts, Downloads, My Documents, My Music, My Pictures, My Videos.

Once you have finished copying the files. Go back to the original Library, right-click on each folder you moved.
Choose Properties from the menu. In the resulting window, click on the Location tab, and then the Move... button.
Browse the the location you copied the files to.
Click once on the folder you want it moved to and then click the Select Folder button (bottom right of the screen).

Screen will pop up. Click Yes.
Repeat this step for all the folders you copied.

Add new folders to your Library
All your files do not have to be in the actual library folder. Windows 7 lets you add folders from other locations to your library without actually moving them into the actual library location.
To add a folder to a library. Right-click on that folder and choose Include in library > and choose the appropriate library.

Solution