Sign in with
Your question

Help me with my first ever build

Last response: in Systems
February 10, 2007 10:18:30 AM

Hi i own a dell laptop which after 3 years has finally died on me. So i've decided to build my first pc. I have pretty much decided on the following and was lookin for any advise on my selection. I dont really know what im doing but have been reading all the forums for the last few days. The budget for this is on the limit with these selections. Thanks

Case : NZXT LEXA Black Aluminium Chassi, Screwless design
http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=320138&CKS=PCW

Power : Corsair Powersupply 620W Black, ATX/EPS, 120mm Fan, 8xSATA, SLI, WxHxL 150x86x150
power

Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4, P965, Socket-775, Firewire, ATX, GbLAN, DDR2, 2xPCI-Ex16
Motherboard

Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz Socket LGA775, 4MB, BOXED w/fan
processor

Memory : 2 X Corsair Value S. PC5300 DDR2 2048MB Kit w/two matched Value Select 1024MB (= 4Gb)
Memory

Graphics Card : XFX GeForce 8800GTS 640MB GDDR3, PCI-Express, 2xDVI/HDTV/HDCP, 320-bit
Graphics card

Hard Drive: Samsung SpinPoint T166 500GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM
HardDRive

Optical Drive: NEC DVD±recorder AD-5170 IDE Black OEM DVD+R/+RW/DVD-R/-RW (Dual layer)
optical

Monitor: Acer 22" LCD AL2216Wsd, Widescreen, Silver/Black, 1680x1050, 700:1, 5ms
Monitor

Networking : D-Link DGE-528T PCI Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
networking

Wireless : Linksys Wireless-G PCI 54 Mbps 802.11g SpeedBooster, WPA/AES
wireless

TV card : Hauppauge! WinTV-HVR1300, Hybrid Card, PCI, Analog Tv-Tuner & DVB-T(Digital-TV)
TV card

Im going to run vista on that. Will everything work ok there and be compatible. As i said i dont really know what im at. Thanks. Also does anyone think it would be worth changing to an AMD of similar price ?

More about : build

February 10, 2007 10:24:52 AM

Looks like a solid setup and should see you through a good few years, can only nit pick on some issues such as having 1 large HDD rather then 1 smallish (75-150GB) fast drive and maybe 1 large one to store large files would improve the speed of the rig quite alot if its to be used for gaming.

You could properly save some cash if you went for the E4300 and a new heat sink as well. But that is reliant on you being able to over clock, but aside from those two looks good.

Compatibility issues with vista I not to sure on but I am sure someone else will be able to help you out
February 10, 2007 10:32:12 AM

If i did that with the harddrives how would they be connected. would they just come up on "my computer" as 2 differant drives and would i save stuff to the big one like i currently do with my external for my laptop. Would the transfer speen between them be slow ? Also im getting that processor cos i dont know how to overclock but i am going to learn in the not so distant future. Is it difficult for newb
February 10, 2007 10:38:38 AM

Quote:
If i did that with the harddrives how would they be connected. would they just come up on "my computer" as 2 differant drives and would i save stuff to the big one like i currently do with my external for my laptop. Would the transfer speen between them be slow ? Also im getting that processor cos i dont know how to overclock but i am going to learn in the not so distant future. Is it difficult for newb

Ok well as for the two HDD setup the faster drive would 'house' the O,S and other programs that are used very regular in Windows they would be displayed as two different HDDs as you have seen with your external drive and laptop HDD. As for the hardware behind it its just connecting one more SATA cable to the motherboard. The transfer between them would be slower then if they was just one drive but it is not that noticeable.

As for the CPU go with the E6600 if your not to sure. As i say solid setup and should serve you well, if you run into any problems let us know and we can try to help
!