Worth it to Upgrade?

Raeven_Zero

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
Alright, I have this old machine that I am letting my wife use while I am gone for awhile which she just uses to browse the internet and play the Sims 2. Right now it has a Celeron 2.8Ghz 400FSB which is junk in my opinion. I can give it one last upgrade to a 2.8Ghz P4 Northwood 533Mhz FSB for $70. She will be using the machine from now until August when I will be giving her my last generation gaming machine and using this one for a CS:S server.

Do you think it worth it to upgrade it to the P4 or will I not even notice the difference.

Someone gave me the computer.
I've upgraded a few things.
Specs:
Compaq SR1020NX
2.8Ghz Celeron
2Gb Patriot 3200 (board only supports 2700)
Diabled onboard video and added MX4000 (board only has PCI)
Maxtor 300GB HDD 7200rpm 16MB cache

Runs AOE:3 and Sims 2 fine for her but hangs sometimes (i.e. when events happen in the Sims or when you place furniture the game pauses for a few seconds before you it appears)

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
No, don't think it's worth; the improvement wil be minimal if not inexistent for what she does and $70 is not worth at all to throw away for a P4.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Unfortunately you'll not notice any speed upgrade, and it's a waste to Money to try and do so. With the extra FSB and newer Core you will only notice that some applications(very bandwidth hungry) wont hang every second(compared to your previous) but they'll be just as slow as your previous CPU. 70$ is alot of money Sir.

If you only wait a little bit more and save that 70$ and let it grow to other sums of cash (100$>) You can have your self something worth spending money on.

My Advice, Never drop money for a Celeron or a Pentium, Even a Semptron outperforms most Pentium, Pentium D and All Celeron CPU's