augustus108

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003
I don't know anything about networking, forgive me if I am asking questions that's been asked before.
Right now, I'm helpping a friend to set up a network with the following details:
1) Connected to internet via a Mortorolla Cable modem
2) It is required to split this cable modem access to three computers
3) His knowledge of computer is even less then me, therefore the setup must be as simple as possible.
4) I think he had been only given one IP address.

Lastly, which product should he get, a switch or router? I'm hoping that it doesn't have a firewall, as this will require considerable time to setup.

System Integration...yeah right, thanks to marketing, more confusion<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by augustus108 on 11/22/03 08:57 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

kinetic_tw

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
Get one of <A HREF="http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=20&scid=29" target="_new">these</A>. It has a built in NAT Firewall which requires zero setup. It'll automatically assign each computer a unique LAN IP Address

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Any router will do. Most of them the setup is very simple. You just have to setup the hardware and needs no software configuration.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
today the line between a router and a switch has been blurred. And basically a switch connects computers within a LAN (for example 4 computers within your home running the same protocols) and a router will do that plus communicate with computers over a WAN (Internet, broadband connection and computers running who knows what protocols, plus they generaly have more security features to deal with being open to the internet). Any computer that connects to the internet is its self by definition a software router. Most products if their multiport incorporate both a switch and a router. if your just hooking one computer or have a separate Hub or Swith then just concentrate on a router. SMC http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?site=c Has the easiest to setup Routers with a built in switch they generally cost a little more because your paying for quality and their customer support is awsome.

Linux Is better! www.killeramp.com

riser

Illustrious
I'll make it simple.
Purchase a router (they'll act as a firewall for you, don't worry, nothing to configure there). (Linksys, D-link, SMC, Netgear, they should cost around US40-70 dollars, they'll all do the job accordingly.)
Hook your cable modem into the Router's WAN port, run standard Patch cables from your router to your PCs. Make sure File and Printer sharing is installed, TCP/IP and Client for Microsoft Networks is installed. The router by default will act as a DHCP server (it'll accept the IP address from the cable service and then hand out its own IP addresses to each PC so they'll be able to talk to the internet and the other computers on your local network [LAN])They should all be in the same "workgroup" : standard is "workgroup."
If you need additional information on how to do any of these steps or what is needed, feel free to ask. If you need more indepth, just ask because it'll take you some time to find it in the forums with the amount of posting going on.

Riser

chandanarahul

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2003
Ifyou just want to share intenet connection get urself a wired router. Don't fall for the wireless routers as some of them need a bit of setup to be done and are not as good as they r supposed to be.

Don't bother with file and printer sharing unless ur friend insistes on sharing files and devices between the comps. If he does... spend some time to learn abt networking at http://www.helmig.com