Can I use my old Compaq copy of Win 98 on new CPU?

G

This is my first time posting here and I was wondering if any of you could help me out. My old Compaq computer has bit the dust and I'm going to scrap a couple parts from it and build a new computer from scratch. I'm uncertain as to whether I'll be able to use my Windows 98 CD I received with the Compaq computer. It's not a stock CD from Microsoft, the OS is included on a Compaq CD. Does anyone know if there are proprietary items that will prevent this from installing on a non-Compaq computer. I don't have an unlimited budget, and if I need to purchase a new copy of Windows 98 (BOO), I need to build it into my budget. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

dhlucke

Polypheme
Can't speak on behalf of Compaq, but I know that Dell's work on any computer. I really don't understand what the difference is anyways. Maybe they just make sure that the drivers for compaq/dell computers are definitely on the cd..

Give it a try at the very least....

<font color=red>Change the sig of the week!</font color=red>

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah, I think that's it, and they usually also have some preinstalled software.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
i dont think it will.... i tried before and as someone explained, it has something to do with the setup program finding the origional hardware before it runs the os isntall. so i guess thats 2 "yeah" and 1 "nay" so far. i had even tried copying the files directly from the cd to the hard drive. i forget exactly what error i got but i do remember i was unable to do it.

...and i would have gotten away with it, if it weren't for you meddling kids...

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Agree with tdean. I tried this a few years ago with no success.

There may be ways around it, I was a novice back then and could of missed something.

I suggest borrowing a standard CD off a friend. Keep your original licence and you're more or less staying within the law.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by hammerhead on 08/30/01 01:48 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Thanks for the try, guys. I'll guess I'll budget for a cheap oem version, but hope the CD actually works. I would borrow a CD, but everyone I know has is in the same boat (Off the shelf computer with proprietary O.S. CD).

WiseGuy1

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
I actually did the same as mentioned by hammerhead. I have a hewlett packard and I just used a 98 cd from a friend who didn't have a license. (Usually they atleast include the 98 manual with license even though they only include a restore disk with systems now) The nice thing is you don't have to worry about all the extra crap that comes with a systems preinstalled software (ie. auto updaters, prodigy and aol signup stuff, etc.)

G

OEMS are required to place the Windows 98 install files in C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS

You MAY be able to copy those files to your new hard drive and install from there. Of course Compaq has been known to do some VERY screwy things with this. You may not have a SETUP.EXE in that directory and you may have some OEM setup scripts that may cause some problems. You'd be better off borrowing or buying a new CD.

Darrin Z.

G

Generally it isn't an issue. Depending on the model, it may be a "Compaq" CD, but it in fact, may be an installable one. Look for a directory \WIN98 on the CD tree. If that's there, your in good shape. If not, then its a psoudo-ghost image and not much can be done there... A lot of compaq's sold with both a "Compaq" restore CD, and a genuine Windows CD and Key. Make sure that somehow maybe didn't get lost or something... As long as the original computer is toast and not being used, and you have the valid license and CD, you should be just fine. Microsoft doesn't want a single licensed installation on more than one computer (technically).

I speak from experience as I am a compaq auth tech where I work...