PC Restarting Problem

cozwin

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
Hi, been having a problem with my pc for about a week and thought i would ask on forum incase somone knows what it could be.

The problem is that my pc is constantly rebooting at diffrent times these consist of everytime i play games it reboots after abit, if i leave pc on windows login screen and also if i let certain programs to do heavy tasks.

I have tried to narrow this issue down i got a few things i think it could be:
PSU, Motherboard, Faulty switch on case, Video card so far i have took out the reset button from my motherboard and still had the issue so its not that and ive got a good 55 pound psu coming on wednesday to try that.

So any help/advice would be very greatful.

horstmann

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
The first thing that I would do is right click on my computer and go to properties. Go to the advanced tab and click settings under startup and recovery. Uncheck automatically restart. This will cause windows to give you a blue screen that will at least provide some information as to what could be causing your problem.

What is a 55 pound psu?

horstmann

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
After the restart, does it start right back up or does it give you a message on the bios? If it is overheating it would give a warning message upon trying to go back into windows until it cools down.

cozwin

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
just had another reboot after playing oblivion for 5 mins and i did that thing above and didnt get a blue screen just reboot

horstmann

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
It didn't sound like temps to me, but I was just checking. I had a cpu fan stop on me one time and the computer would just restart once it got too hot.

See if you can get it to restart once you have disabled the automatic restart. That will likely tell you what is happening. You could also go into manage when you right click on my computer. There is an event viewer under system tools. click on application or system to see if there are any red or yellow flags in there at about the time that your computer restarts. This could also let you know if something is wrong. Double click the event and there is generally a link inside of it to a microsoft webpage that will tell you what the error code means.

horstmann

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
just had another reboot after playing oblivion for 5 mins and i did that thing above and didnt get a blue screen just reboot

That likely means something with the hardware and not the software or drivers. If it is software or driver it would have generally given you a blue screen.

Sirfiroth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
I had a similar problem to yours, it turned out to be a defective video card.

Recheck memory, video card and make sure they are seated proplerly. You can run checks on drivers with device manager.

gl