Cannot Move/Delete Files

When trying to delete or move certain files in our file
system, (even files we just created) we often get an error
that states:

Cannot Move/Delete File or Folder

Cannot move/delete (filename). There has been a sharing
violation. The source or destination file may be in use.

We used to have a NT 4.0 Server and we would use
FileManager to close all open instances of the file and
then we could delete/move it, however, we are now using a
Win2K Server and FileManager no longer exists. We are
stuck! This occurs on files on our local machines as well
sometimes.

We have also tried moving and/or deleting thru DOS Command
window and no luck there either. We get this message:

"The process cannot access the file because it is being
used by another process."
even though there is no processes using that file...

Can someone help?

Thanks
Andrew Mullen
Trade Express Magazine
andrewm@tradeexpress.com
3 answers Last reply
More about cannot move delete files

    I don't know if this will help but in Computer Management/shared folders you can end
    sessions and disconnect connected files if that would help. Computer Management can
    also manage remote computers. Otherwise try the handle utility from SysInternals to
    identify the process that is keeping a file open and then use Task Manager to kill
    the process if possible. --- Steve

    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/handle.shtml

    "Andrew Mullen" <andrewm@tradeexpress.com> wrote in message
    > When trying to delete or move certain files in our file
    > system, (even files we just created) we often get an error
    > that states:
    >
    > Cannot Move/Delete File or Folder
    >
    > Cannot move/delete (filename). There has been a sharing
    > violation. The source or destination file may be in use.
    >

    > We used to have a NT 4.0 Server and we would use
    > FileManager to close all open instances of the file and
    > then we could delete/move it, however, we are now using a
    > Win2K Server and FileManager no longer exists. We are
    > stuck! This occurs on files on our local machines as well
    > sometimes.
    >
    > We have also tried moving and/or deleting thru DOS Command
    > window and no luck there either. We get this message:
    >
    > "The process cannot access the file because it is being
    > used by another process."
    > even though there is no processes using that file...
    >

    > Can someone help?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Andrew Mullen
    > Trade Express Magazine
    > andrewm@tradeexpress.com

    Hey Thanks, Thats a cool little program, but even after
    closing the process with that program (the files we cannot
    move/delete all show up in there)we still cannot move or
    delete them! All of the files are opened by PID 8, which
    is the system. I cannot kill that process without
    killing our server... Any other suggesstions?

    I have not tried these but they may be worth a look. Hope one of them helps. ---
    Steve

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/existing/inuse-o.asp
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=808cd100-3321-46c5-a790-263fbdb79b33&displaylang=en
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=290585